“Excellent holiday resort”

Stoney River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Drake
“Excellent holiday resort”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband & I are visiting my sister in Colorado Springs & booked for a week stay in 2 eagles resort. We were treated to the most wonderful stay . The new owner Linda & Collin made our stay there memorable. They are very attentive to our needs. They always stop to say hello & asked if there is something we need. The place is peaceful, pet friendly and have a homely atmosphere. We are from Queensland ,Australia & we would definitely recommend this place to our friends & family back home.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda R
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi Linda and Fred and Susan and Curtis. Thank you for the kind review. We certainly enjoyed having you guys stay with us. Fred...the fox was looking for you...I think he is sad that you are gone. Sure hope you guys enjoyed the rest of your holiday here in the states...and Colin says to tell you...GO BLUES!....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
North Platte, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My family has a blast every time we go to the mountains. This time we chose 2 Eagles, and by far was a great choice. The big apartment was spacious enough, I love that the kitchen had everything I needed. My children had a great time playing with the other kids, they still are asking me when we are heading back! . The owners we really helpful. I love the little moments during the afternoon when everybody came around the fire to burn smore's .

Room Tip: No Pool/ No fitness center.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rosa T
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
ROSA, thank you. We certainly enjoyed it too. Cole misses Niko so much. Please tell him that Cole thinks he's the greatest. I'm glad you got to feeling better and got to enjoy some time here. We wish you all the best.
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We had a wonderful and unforgettable stay. We were in the Birdroom and could hear the river flowing during the night. Collin (owner) had a wealth of knowledge of local history and we enjoyed cheerful Linda and watching their son make friends with the "campers" children. I'll recommend this to all my friends and we will absolutely be back one day. Beautiful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write such a positive review. We sure are glad your family enjoyed their stay and we hope to see you all again. Even that ole doggy of yours who kept ignoring me. He's great.
Take care and thanks again.
Creston, Iowa
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This resort was very nice for the price and value. It is only about 15 minutes from Estes and the drive is a scenic road winding along the river. My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and had a great time.
The owners were wonderful hosts, very friendly and helpful. We wanted to go horseback riding while in Colorado and Linda was more than happy to call and schedule our ride for us. Anything we needed or wanted they were ready to help us find whatever it was.
The rooms are also very nice. It is right on the highway, but that is unavoidable if you want something close to Estes. There are several trails right behind the resort which are easily accessible with some nice length to them. We will definitely come here again when we visit Estes in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you for the kind sentiments Josh and Hannah. We really enjoyed having you. We hope to see you both on your fifth anniversary....with maybe a little one (or 2) tagging along. Best wishes.
Colin Linda and Cole....
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My mom, 2 kiddos, and I wanted to take a nice relaxing trip with our 2 dogs. They do allow dogs here, but never mention that you cannot leave them in the room. We tried going into Estes for a day of fun, and never got a call until we travelled 40 minutes into Estes that we must come get our dogs. Then she mentions they have a doggy daycare in Estes for $15 a day/dog. Why was this not posted in our room? So, the problem is that you have NO CELL SERVICE here, and she cannot call you until you reach town. This place is in the canyon, and quite removed from Estes. Not a quick trip into town as they mention. It's pretty mountainous and you must wind and travel slow.

The rooms are incredibly dirty and old. The room we stayed in didn't even have adequate bedding for the futon. There is no tv, only videos they offer in their office. Customer service is awful, and you feel they're always watching you as they live right on the property in close quarters. This woman talks about other customers as if she is pissed at everyone, and it's not right to disclose previous customer's issues, etc. They always come talk and butter up to you as you leave, but otherwise, not at all.

Also, they say riverside. You cannot get to the river and enjoy it.

There are so many other nicer places closer to town. Don't save money on staying here. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Orchidflower_29
croc1113, Owner at Stoney River Lodge, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
I remember this family well and the room wasn't dirty when they got here but it was within about 10 minutes of their arrival. Two adults two toddlers and two dogs in a 2 person room.

About the dogs...As the website states, "well behaved dogs may be left unattended".
Her dog was on the kitchen table barking non stop out the window. Some of the guests complained and when I asked where the ladies were they told me they had just left.
I went in to see why the dog wasn't in its crate (maybe he had escaped) but NO. Both dogs were left out and the one had gotten on the table where their unfinished eggs had been left.
Yes I called and had them come back and get their dogs. Why should the other guests have to listen to that all day? They shouldn't and they don't.
A flyer on the Doggy Day Care was in the Welcome Packet.

The distance to ESTES PARK... If it took them 40 minutes to get to Estes Park they must have crashed. We are 13 miles from Estes Park (as the website states)...it takes me 20 minutes to take my son to school there each morning.

As for the river it runs through our property and we have cleared the entire bank...many people sit along the lawn and enjoy it...teens tend to play in it...and a lot of guests fish in it.
(No its not safe for toddlers)

And as for living on site..duh...every property has a site manager 24/7 ...

The only accurate statement in this review is that we are not a resort...but then you can see that by our prices...the name came with it when we bought it and we do plan to change it in 2014.

We can't please everyone.. my feeling about leaving dogs is this...Don't bring them if you don't plan to take them everywhere with you..hire a sitter or drop 'em at the day care for a lousy $15.00 so they can enjoy their day too....and not be left alone in some strange place.
Evans, Colorado
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Little Moose Room #8 for two nights in August 2012. It was great to be able to take our Miniature Schnauzer, Bozlee, with us. Nice and relaxing, did some hiking and just sitting by the river. Hope to be able to stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My family of 4 stayed plus our dog stayed here in Aug. 2012. I am so happy to have found this wonderful place. It is clean, quiet, friendly, and perfectly located. We rafted in Ft. Collins, shopped and rode horses in Estes, went to a lovely park in Loveland, and spent every evening playing badmitton, bocce (which we brought) having s'mores down by the river, and visiting with our neighbors and hostess. Our dog made friends with the other dogs and ran around playing as well. The kids were free to get board games and movies from the office whenever they wanted. It felt like a small community there. We stayed in the caboose. The view of the canyon wall as we got up each morning was gorgeous. Can't wait to go back.

The Tracy's

Room Tip: The Caboose is quite roomy. Lots of sleep options and lots of closet space.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sharitracy4
I appreciate this review. I remember this family fondly...the quiet teen and the outgoing younger sister. I remember the doggy too...short lil legs had no problem keeping up with my doberman. We had great fun with these guys...lots of s'mores and lots more movies...when they were here...they really kept on the go...we enjoyed having them and look forward to seeing them again.
Colin Linda and Cole
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake
Murphy's Resort at Estes Park
#17 of 29 in Estes Park
Discovery Lodge
Discovery Lodge
#10 of 29 in Estes Park

Been to Stoney River Lodge? Share your experiences!