“This place sucks!!!”

The Lodge at Tamarron
“This place sucks!!!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

There were kids in the adult hot tub. You can't have alcohol anywhere. The Cliffside bar and grill was closed. This is a retirement home for the dying. I would never recommend this place to anyone. No one will be sorry to leave.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Garrett D

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in lodge Pinecone 848 for a week and really enjoyed it! It is fully equipped (despite the broken dish washer which was not repaired during our stay) with a very comfy bedroom. The view was spectacular from the very spacious livingroom. We would definitely book this lodge again for a next stay!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marian_10
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I used to work at Tamarron a long time ago and had very fond memories of it and wanted to return and check it out. The restaurant I worked at is no longer there and the hotel has transitioned into condos. I love Tamarron because It's the ideal place to be in Durango, which I love for the outdoor activities and it's beauty. What I loved most about Tamarron was/is the location and the amenities. Here's what I discovered on my return many many years later:

As a non-hotel hotel this place might not be for everyone. The units are condo, owned by different people. Rented by either Tamarron, Durango Mountain Resort or by the owners themselves. So in staying there think less of what you would expect from a hotel but rather from renting an apartment or condo. Staying here is similar to staying at Durango Mountain Resort, Cascade or Silverpick but the amenities in my opinion are much much better. I looked at the other options too just in case I wanted to try something new but the nice thing about Tamarron is that the pool and hot tub are indoor accessible so you don't have to switch buildings and there's a restaurant. It wasn't golf or tennis season but those are options as well.

Pros:
Views: The views are amazing overall the location and setting is stunning and the views from the condo were of not only the golf course but of the mountains and surrounding area, which are stunning.

Shuttle Service - There's a shuttle to Durango Mountain/Purgatory from Tamarron. As far as we could tell is was pretty much a personal service. You did have to call in advance for a pick up since it's well I guess personal but it was fast, easy and as long as you call 15 mins before you want to leave (for me right at the end of the last run or just after the last drink but before the boots went back on :)

Amenities -The pool and hot tub! How cool is the fact that there a section of the pool where you can swim indoor/outdoor. Even if there aren't kids involved it will turn you into one...it's that great! And as I mentioned you don't have go outside to get to the pool area which isn't true of a lot of the other places I've stayed in the area.

Location: You're shuttle distance from the ski resort but on the downside of the hill so that going into enjoy downtown Durango isn't a big trek - and not so icy in the winter. It's a happy medium.

Space: More spacious and cost efficient than hotel room for the price (I can only say this for the lofts/suites option).

Cons:
Full service: This isn't a full service hotel so if you're looking for room service at your beck and call you won't won't find that here (but you will have your own fridge to store some beer)

Restaurant access: Free breakfast available (nothing fancy) there's a late afternoon - late night restaurant (I don't remember the exact hours but it was open apres ski) onsite not a dedicated breakfast spot but you'll have your own kitchen in your unit (again think apartment not hotel)

That said there are amazing restaurants close by. The Sow's Ear is fantastic and downtown Durango has a great selection and is tons of fun to browse around. Keep in mind close by means driving distance in the snow.

Sinage: I agree with other reviews that the signage is a bit confusing. Overall getting there was fine but as others have mentioned it's hard to know which way to turn. There really was only one turn and we took the right one out of memory but it could/should be improved.

We had no issues with the expected services, booking or the front desk staff but as I mentioned knew that we weren't staying in a full service hotel so the expectation was different. I highly recommend stocking up on a few things before you head up as you would with any stay given there isn't a convenience store close by so if you just want snack and water etc bring with to stash in the fridge. You'll also be able to cook, have dished etc which I like as it's easier to have some dine in options.

Beware of the super hot wings at CooKoos (or whatever that restaurant onsite is called) they're hot! hot! hot! and I'm 3/4 Texan.

There are cleaning and resort fees so make sure you take a look before you book so you don't have any surprises and factor those into the rate. I've seen what you get in Durango for an actual $100 and it isn't pretty! This was a much better deal and much better space. I've often paid this before so I wasn't too surprised but remember the first few times I did pay but didn't expect it I was PISSED for not knowing in advance.

We had wi-fi or at least I believe we did so that wasn't an issue but if you're and AT&T cell phone customer there's very limited cell reception in this area - this was honestly my only issue which of course isn't Tamarron's fault but had a big impact on my overall experience. In Durango the reception is fine.

The only reason I didn't give a full 5 stars was the sinage. I also couldn't quite tell which door we needed to go in to check in and when it's cold and you've traveled the little things like that can be really annoying. I'll be back and hopefully a few decades sooner.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank evw007
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My family of 5 stayed at High Point, Units 621/622. It was absolutely fantastic! The views were breathtaking. Every morning from our balcony, we would sit, watch, and feed the chipmunks and hummingbirds! This place is located approx. 15 miles north of downtown Durango, which we loved because we are country folks and staying in town just wouldn't have been near as enjoyable or relaxing. Being from Texas, finding a place with AC was quite a challenge, but these 2 units have AC and ceiling fans! Although the beds were pretty comfy, I would suggest taking extra pillows or asking the front desk for additional ones. The only thing I found unusual were the personal items such as shampoo, clothes, prescriptions, etc. that were left in the cabinets. Other than that, I would highly recommend staying in the High Point section of this lodge. If you travel during the Summer months, just be sure and ask for units with AC if you are from Texas and trying to get some relief from the heat!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristi K
Fountain Hills, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Though the property itself is a little older, our experience there was great!. The room was well maintained with no squawks at all. Our room on the 3rd floor (319) was clean and had an OMG view of the golf course and hillside behind the property. What a nice way to wake up in the morning. The staff was helpful and knowledgeable. I would suggest requesting a golf course view as it is more spectacular and faces away from the road noise (which is not bad anyway). We enjoyed a glass of wine on the veranda and watched the day end - most memorable to be sure. A hidden gem and preferable to the cluster of hotels in Durango that charge as much with no views other than more gas stations and fast food chains. In short, we loved it.

Room Tip: golf course views are quieter and have WAY better views than the parking lot, remember these are own...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Location: wonderful - about 20 minutes North of Durango so far enough away to be up in the mountains and quiet and away from the busy downtown area but close enough to drive to town easily. It is also close to the ski area which is good if you are planning a ski trip. Tamarron is located right off of highway 550 (the famous "Million Dollar Highway") so it is very easy to find. The setting is really beautiful, the lodge is set up in the pines at the top of a short cliff overlooking the Glacier Club golf course.

Facility: very nice - we choose the Lodge instead of a condo in some of the other nearby units because the pool/sauna/workout room are located here so we would not have to walk far or drive to get to them. The common areas are very nice, stylishly decorated and very clean. The pool was very nice, indoor/outdoor and good sized. There were 2 hot tubs which were nice but the jets were not working on the larger one. The only real drawback (for some) is the restaurant on site is only open for lunch and dinner and has a fairly limited menu. They do serve some amazing chicken wings though. If you do not want to prepare your own breakfast you will have to drive into town. Since it is a condo with a full and well equipped kitchen most visitors would be fine with preparing some meals in the condo - just be aware if you are arriving in the evening and did not have a chance to stop at a grocery store in Durango you will have to drive back to town for breakfast.

Unit 411 - this is a "Presidential Suite" and is one of the larger units in the lodge. As a matter of fact it is very large - lots of room and easily accomodated our family of four (2 adults and 2 teenagers).
Pros: It is very roomy as mentioned above and it is very clean and nicely decorated. It is also nicely furnished and has a very well equipped kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and it has a large bathroom downstairs and an amazing bathroom upstairs with a good sized jacuzzi bathtub. There are large picture windows which take advantage of the wonderful views from both the east and west side of the unit. It was really quiet - we stayed here on Labor Day weekend so things were pretty busy but we heard very little noise.
Cons: neither of the bedrooms upstairs were enclosed - it is just one large loft area with a partial wall in between the smaller "bedroom" and the master "bedroom". Personally I would have preferred an enclosed bedroom for privacy. The web site does not really make it clear that the upstairs is a loft and not private bedrooms. The TV was pretty old and outdated and there were no instructions on how to get the DVD player to display on the TV. Despite having 3 pretty tech-savvy people in our group, we were disappointed to be unable to watch a movie since none of us could figure out how to get it to play. A step by step set of instructions would have been very helpful. The condo tended to get hot during the day - epecially the loft area upstairs. Closing the blinds on the large west facing windows helped (although one in the bathroom would not close down all the way). The air conditioners were probaby a bit small for the volume of air they needed to cool but once the evening came opening the windows downstairs helped a lot. Unfortunately none of the windows upstairs could be opened.

Activities:
- very nice tennis courts right behind the Lodge
- Golf - the Glacier Club golf course is surrounding the property. Be aware however that it is a private club so if you are interested in golfing, you must choose a unit that the owner belongs to the club - that information is on the website.
- Other Outdoor activities - the spectacular San Juan National Forest is basically right out the door with abundant opportunities for hiking, jeep trails, fishing, skiing, zip-lining, bicycling, etc.

Room Tip: If privacy is important you may want to call to see if the bedrooms are private or are an open loft.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chino Valley
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We couldn't believe how nice the room was and the view was breathtaking! Beautifully furnished with a full kitchen setup! We booked there because we wanted to make use of the pool, sauna, steam room and spa but were so busy doing outside things that we never made it back in time. A little disappointed that the pool didn't open earlier...10am to 10pm, but that is really the only complaint! The grounds were immaculate and we even saw a doe as we were heading out one morning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends