Tamarron Lodging
US$193
US$184
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$218
US$208
Hotels.com
Quality Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$136
QualityInn
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$148
BestWestern.com
Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$209
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$241
US$210
Doubletree.com
US$208
US$197
US$274
General Palmer Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$220
Orbitz.com
All reviewsski resortfull kitchenupstairs loftpresidential suitetop floorpool and hot tubunitkitchenetteskiingpurgatorystovefireplace
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our soccer team's stay at the Lodge at Tamarron was great! They did such a great job of facilitating our needs- not only with the rooms, but with providing areas for the team to spend time together. The girls greatly enjoyed the large pool, and the parents were able to enjoy the hot tub and other amenities as well. We were able to have a team dinner on the north deck, and enjoyed the fresh air, lovely scenery and time together immensely. While the Lodge is a few minutes from Durango, the beautiful drive definitely compensated. The staff was great and very accomodating. It was a bit difficult to return to the real world at the end of the weekend. We will definitely consider going back for next year's tournament, and are already planning our next family vacation there as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ceesilva80
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Make sure you are going to absolutely make it or you can afford to lose your whole purchase if you don't make it. Or book through a site like travelocity or somewhere where they offer some real reservation protection.

I booked resos through resort website. First mistake. Should have booked through hotels.com or something, have never had problem canceling reso before. Got $0 refund. My car broke down on way to resort from AZ, called in afternoon when we realized we were going to cancel. I know I shouldnt expect full refund but they could have at least given refund on the prepurchased lift ticket.

I called to inform them we werent going to make it, I didnt even ask about refund. She never even asked my name, just kept asking if I had purchased trip protection.

Later, when I wasn't stuck on the side of the road in the middle nowhere on the Navajo reservation with my children I looked up the trip protection. I wouldnt have gotten a refund anyway, it only kicks in if someone in the party dies OR your home suffers catastrophic damage (ie. burns down).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank cr8zykittens
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The people are amazingly nice and try so ultra hard to please. But don't expect Vail, Telluride or Beaver Creek type conveniences. This lodge is pretty on par though with what's available throughout Durango. Spring Break is ultra booked up so plan ahead if you come early March.

Our room was 342. It was inexpensive but probably because it lacks a more current look. They do have wifi, flat screen tv (which appears to be new) nice furniture and you can tell they're trying to be all they can be to visitors. I bet the owners opt to update the bathroom soon and kitchenette. Or perhaps the heating and air system. They probably update one thing at a time. I appreciated the obvious effort to make it as perfect as possible and enjoyed my stay.

Our refrigerator didn't function properly at the beginning of our stay. But the staff worked to fix it with a replacement within 18 hours.

We noticed serious dust on bed headboards and table light fixtures but we took care of it. It was overall very clean.

I couldn't make a massage happen during my stay due to Spring Break. There's only one person and she was completely booked. She did try to find a time but my schedule didn't have flexibility. The Durango Mountain Resort was also booked as well as their town location. My lesson was that spa life here isn't huge and demand is larger than supply especially during Spring Break.

A tip here is that there isn't a restaurant on site. I thought there was (Cuckoos) but it closed. So food is limited to take-out which for the first available option requires 30 minutes of travel plus pickup. And that is truly the only one option. Our lesson was to plan dinners out ahead of time or bring lots of groceries for in room meals.

The pool was cold for us but we enjoyed it anyway. We along with other guests thought it would be warmer- people jumped in and out. That's about it. We used the hot tub more. Very nice people at the front desk and at the spa.

The resort shuttle requires booking in advance. They're very upfront about it. It makes sense given the distance to Durango mountain. I'm just completely spoiled with on-demand city life. Very little is on-demand here or in Durango -

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MBradbury33
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in lodge Pinecone 848 for a week and really enjoyed it! It is fully equipped (despite the broken dish washer which was not repaired during our stay) with a very comfy bedroom. The view was spectacular from the very spacious livingroom. We would definitely book this lodge again for a next stay!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marian_10
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I used to work at Tamarron a long time ago and had very fond memories of it and wanted to return and check it out. The restaurant I worked at is no longer there and the hotel has transitioned into condos. I love Tamarron because It's the ideal place to be in Durango, which I love for the outdoor activities and it's beauty. What I loved most about Tamarron was/is the location and the amenities. Here's what I discovered on my return many many years later:

As a non-hotel hotel this place might not be for everyone. The units are condo, owned by different people. Rented by either Tamarron, Durango Mountain Resort or by the owners themselves. So in staying there think less of what you would expect from a hotel but rather from renting an apartment or condo. Staying here is similar to staying at Durango Mountain Resort, Cascade or Silverpick but the amenities in my opinion are much much better. I looked at the other options too just in case I wanted to try something new but the nice thing about Tamarron is that the pool and hot tub are indoor accessible so you don't have to switch buildings and there's a restaurant. It wasn't golf or tennis season but those are options as well.

Pros:
Views: The views are amazing overall the location and setting is stunning and the views from the condo were of not only the golf course but of the mountains and surrounding area, which are stunning.

Shuttle Service - There's a shuttle to Durango Mountain/Purgatory from Tamarron. As far as we could tell is was pretty much a personal service. You did have to call in advance for a pick up since it's well I guess personal but it was fast, easy and as long as you call 15 mins before you want to leave (for me right at the end of the last run or just after the last drink but before the boots went back on :)

Amenities -The pool and hot tub! How cool is the fact that there a section of the pool where you can swim indoor/outdoor. Even if there aren't kids involved it will turn you into one...it's that great! And as I mentioned you don't have go outside to get to the pool area which isn't true of a lot of the other places I've stayed in the area.

Location: You're shuttle distance from the ski resort but on the downside of the hill so that going into enjoy downtown Durango isn't a big trek - and not so icy in the winter. It's a happy medium.

Space: More spacious and cost efficient than hotel room for the price (I can only say this for the lofts/suites option).

Cons:
Full service: This isn't a full service hotel so if you're looking for room service at your beck and call you won't won't find that here (but you will have your own fridge to store some beer)

Restaurant access: Free breakfast available (nothing fancy) there's a late afternoon - late night restaurant (I don't remember the exact hours but it was open apres ski) onsite not a dedicated breakfast spot but you'll have your own kitchen in your unit (again think apartment not hotel)

That said there are amazing restaurants close by. The Sow's Ear is fantastic and downtown Durango has a great selection and is tons of fun to browse around. Keep in mind close by means driving distance in the snow.

Sinage: I agree with other reviews that the signage is a bit confusing. Overall getting there was fine but as others have mentioned it's hard to know which way to turn. There really was only one turn and we took the right one out of memory but it could/should be improved.

We had no issues with the expected services, booking or the front desk staff but as I mentioned knew that we weren't staying in a full service hotel so the expectation was different. I highly recommend stocking up on a few things before you head up as you would with any stay given there isn't a convenience store close by so if you just want snack and water etc bring with to stash in the fridge. You'll also be able to cook, have dished etc which I like as it's easier to have some dine in options.

Beware of the super hot wings at CooKoos (or whatever that restaurant onsite is called) they're hot! hot! hot! and I'm 3/4 Texan.

There are cleaning and resort fees so make sure you take a look before you book so you don't have any surprises and factor those into the rate. I've seen what you get in Durango for an actual $100 and it isn't pretty! This was a much better deal and much better space. I've often paid this before so I wasn't too surprised but remember the first few times I did pay but didn't expect it I was PISSED for not knowing in advance.

We had wi-fi or at least I believe we did so that wasn't an issue but if you're and AT&T cell phone customer there's very limited cell reception in this area - this was honestly my only issue which of course isn't Tamarron's fault but had a big impact on my overall experience. In Durango the reception is fine.

The only reason I didn't give a full 5 stars was the sinage. I also couldn't quite tell which door we needed to go in to check in and when it's cold and you've traveled the little things like that can be really annoying. I'll be back and hopefully a few decades sooner.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family