“Bland, Expensive, and Unsatisfying”
Review of Cocina Linda Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cocina Linda Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I do not understand how anyone could rate this place above one star. It doesn't desrve one - maybe half.

We ate there with friends and our children. Most of us couldn't get what we wanted because they were out of some menu items. We were overcharged by the cashier - charged for some sort of plate when we only recieved the single item.

We ordered tomales. They were out of them. (No big deal. I understand how tomales are made. Places do run out of them.) I ordered a chicken burrito. It was ridiculous. It contained almost no chicken. It was mostly rice. Bland white rice! No seasonings as far as I could tell! They need to learn how to season a dish. Since the burrito came dry on a plate with no sauce, I asked for some salsa. They charged us for it. The owner said they can't afford to just give away salsa. And I'll bet that's true. When the food is bad, the prices are high, the ambiance is poor, you probably can't afford to supply salsa like a real restaurant. There is no way the place is making money selling food with no taste. I just want to to them to go to a good restaurant, try the food, and understand how much their own food is NOT similar.

Well it didn't matter anyway. The salsa was bland too, so it didn't help much.

I really want to be fair, so I will mention the fact that the avacado relish/salsa dish was good -Very simple chunky avacado guacamole-like dish. It was good, but it was very small thus overpriced.

Unless the tamales are really something special, this place does not deserve more than one star. The people rating this place highly must be out of their gourd! My guess is that they are friends with the owner. BUT PLEASE eat there and then review the place. We need more honest reviewers.

4  Thank Spanki S

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I ordered a chicken w/green chile burrito and was very disappointed. The burrito was huge, but it was mostly rice & beans with a half dozen 1/2 in. cubes of chicken ('locally sourced'? Really?!). I counted them, too. If there was any green chile in the burrito, I certainly didn't see it or taste it. All of this for $9.75! Unbelievable. I would have been better off getting a burrito at a local taco shack (Nayarit's anyone?) at half the price with twice the primary ingredients (chicken & green chile...remember?).
I came here because of all the platitudes about 'fresh, sustainable, locally sourced food'. None of that matters when food like this is fobbed off to the public.
I see a similar review on this page, so I'm not alone.
In fairness, the staff was friendly and the setting was just fine. Not enough, though.
Won't get fooled again!

6  Thank John-Margaret
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Friendly staff but average seating. Atmosphere is friendly.

They also set up stalls at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings in the Summer.

If you go there for breakfast and or lunch, the dishes with mole' ,which is a chocolate flavor, are delicious.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Ordered a too expensive burrito but is is Durango,,,,,90% rice then a few beans then a tablespoon of pork or chicken...all without flavor,,,,no sauce,,,no redeeming features.
Ninas were much better

3  Thank Felschurch
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Interesting menu but a little blah and boring - the tortilla soup is a winter staple. But the owner's peso pinching is annoying. Extra for cheese. Extra for sour cream. Extra for salsa. Extra for asking for extras.

4  Thank DarrenDelivers411