“Comfy, cozy stay - almost like home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Gable House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 12 Durango B&B and Inns
Tempe, Arizona
“Comfy, cozy stay - almost like home”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I can't recall how I found this B&B, but I'm glad I did. My boyfriend and I booked a stay here for five nights, and we received a room on the top floor. It was actually the one pictured in the current thumbnail image for the Gable House above. Overall, we were thoroughly happy with our stay.

This is a true B&B. I say "true" because I've stayed in a few where you certainly get the homey feel, but you may see the owners only once when you check in and again when you leave.

Each morning we chatted with Heather and Michael during breakfast, which was expertly cooked. I know it's something special when my boyfriend, who rarely eats breakfast (and didn't much care whether it was included or not) actually began looking forward to it each day. He actually pouted when I once suggested trying a place in town for brunch. I'm sure it was partly due to Heather being nice enough to cater to his vegetarian diet. That isn't to say she served him bland fruits and veggies. During our stay we had (in no particular order) a fritatta, French toast, yogurt with fresh fruit and rhubarb from her garden, scrambled eggs and black bean burritos, and Mexican spoon bread with green chile. All of it was delicious.

As for the house itself, I honestly felt as though I was staying with an auntie or relative -- it was that familiar and comforting. I never felt unsafe, and everything was tidy and clean when we arrived. I enjoyed meeting the other guests, and we frequently shared stories and ideas for nearby trails (biking and hiking). Heather and Michael also offered their suggestions as residents for good trails, and we weren't disappointed following their advice. She was even kind enough to lend us a book on the Durango-Silverton train ride the day we rode it.

The location is just a few blocks from Main Street and all the cute shops, which is nice if you plan on buying a lot of souvenirs. That also means it's near the main train station, but far enough away that you hear the train's whistle without feeling like it's outside your window. The neighborhood is fairly quiet, although you may get a few partiers out late at night during the weekends. We preferred to leave our windows open at night to let the cool air in (there was no visible air conditioning that I saw), but it was never loud enough to disrupt our sleep for more than a minute or two.

Should we visit Durango again, I'd have no problem staying here again. Thank you Heather and Michael for the delightful stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The owner describes the house as having "good bones," and it does. It feels safe and solid outside, classy and comfortable inside. The hosts are warm and accommodating - going well beyond the call of duty by providing a full breakfast at 6:30 before a bike race.
The location was perfect - I was looking for something in town where we could park and walk everywhere. Restaurants and shopping are just a few blocks away, as well as interesting hikes up the hill to the campus. I highly recommend the Gable House, and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emochka
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 26 November 2013

It's been awhile since I've traveled on my own and finding the Gable House was perfect as a single woman on the road. The location to central Durango was perfect so once I parked my car, I could walk everywhere. Heather made sure that I'd feel comfortable, safe and well taken care of. The house itself has such an interesting history and great artwork many from local artists. My room with its private bath was spotless yet felt like you were back at home. Besides being a terrific cook, I really enjoyed having the time to sit with Heather and the other guests as everyone had an interesting life story to tell. My return visits to Durango with always take me to the Gable House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa H
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We chose this lovely B&B based on tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed! This lovely B&B is located in a quiet neighborhood a few blocks off the main street in Durango. We walked at a good clip to the train station and it took us 10 minutes. Restaurants are about the same time away and the streets are safe and easy to navigate. There is off-street parking but during our stay we just parked on the quiet street in front of the Gable House and there were no problems. The B&B has lovely gardens and even nicer rooms. I believe our room was called the large suite and it was perfect for us. We had a private bath and a private balcony overlooking the side street. The room and bathroom were spotless. Our host Heather was more than welcoming and could expertly answer any questions we had of the area. One day we were driving to Mesa Verde National Park and Heather loaned us a cooler that had a compartment of ice in the lid to keep our lunches cold. This was strictly her idea. She obviously cares about her guests and wants to make their stay in Durango as pleasant as possible. We have relatives that always want Harley Davidson t-shirts from our travels. Heather directed us right to the dealership! This was a first for us. Usually owners of B&B's aren't this attuned to the area.
The breakfasts at the Gable House were fantastic! We stayed there 4 nights and looked forward to the breakfasts as much as the comfortable room. Heather makes her breakfasts with a southwest flavor and we were happy that she wasn't afraid to add a little heat to the recipes. We stayed in 4 B&B's on this trip and these breakfasts were definitely among the best of them all.
Our room did not have a television but there was a commons area on the 3 floor where you could watch TV if you had to. We bring books on our vacations so this was no problem for us.
We WILL return!!! Highly recommended!!!

1 Thank StevoinMinnesoto
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed for three nights at the Gable House in Durango in July of 2013. After some small confusion over which room we had booked (a misunderstanding which Heather more than generously resolved), we settled in for a delightful visit in this charming Western town. Gable House is a huge, historic residence in a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood only a few blocks from the main walking part of town. There are many restaurants and shops nearby and the train station is about 10 minutes away. Heather serves excellent breakfasts in her spacious, sunlit dining room. She is also eager to help and has a number of tips and recommendations for making your stay in Durango comfortable and fun. We were there in July and it was apparently unseasonably warm that week, but our room on the second floor stayed reasonably cool. There was also a small balcony on which we would sit in the evenings and read. Despite the heat, we enjoyed the town and would consider going back, perhaps in the spring or the fall. And we would stay at Gable House again without a doubt. Thanks, Heather, for some true Western hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark O
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Gable House B&B. Our room and en suite BR were very clean. The bed was really comfortable. The location was quiet and very well situated to take in Durango by foot...only 10-12 mins to the train station. Heather was very friendly, helpful with recommendations for dinner and provided very good breakfasts. If we are in the area again we will stay at Gable House.

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here. We had a king bed room on the third floor. There is a nice room to play games, watch TV or check email. There is a lovely balcony to enjoy your wine and watch the sunset. It also has a lovely lawn area outside as well. Heather is an excellent innkeeper. The breakfasts were excellent and she is very helpful in telling us great restaurants to go. There is wireless Internet in each room. We will definitely go back and stay with Heather for a longer visit. Look no further for a clean, quiet and good value place to stay.

Room Tip: If you can't climb a couple flights of stairs, this place is not for you. Also, I could not dele...