“Nice place, hope you like your neighbor....”
Review of United Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
United Campground
Roswell, New Mexico
“Nice place, hope you like your neighbor....”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We are new to RV'ing and this was our first RV park visit. The place itself is nice, clean, off the road and pretty quiet. It isn't very big which is also nice, but the spots are pretty tight and very close to each other. We had to maneuver our travel trailer so that it would fit between the trailer next to us and a tree which resulted in us not being able to extend our awning as the tree was too close. The trolley into town was very convenient and we used it once.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I did a review for Lightner, comparing it with United. Both have showers, pool and store. I loved Lightner, but my family prefers United for camping in Durango. I do love that you pitch your tent on a soft lawn. We went again beginning of August. More crowded than the weekends we usually go in June but I don't think you will ever have a problem finding a spot, even late in the day. Many are using this for one night on their way, while even locals come here for a nice weekend. Another advantage is that there's a trolley stop three times an hour for free ride to downtown and back with long hours. The trains run right through it. In the tent area, there's a road loop and I prefer to get the sites off the loop closest to and towards the river. They are larger, actually double sites, so you can spread out more. Cottonwoods supply shade in spots. The pool was very refreshing. My only complaint is that both days they were cleaning the upper showers just when I wanted to take the kids. The upper showers are a bit larger and I think a bit cleaner. Even with "crowd", it was quiet at night, shortly after dark. Rickety picnic tables are showing age and the water spigot below was turned off. But water available at sink near laundry room. This may have been our 7th time. We love Durango.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Belton, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Campsite was great! Owners were friendly and the shop/store was convenient. The free trolley was nice and my daughter and I used this to do some shopping while the boys fished.

A little difficult pulling into the spot we were assigned based on the proximity of other campers but the effort was definitely worth the work.

Thank you for the great stay and I'm looking forward to returning again soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hueckert
East Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is our first stay at United but 4th visit to the Durango area. United is very close to the Animas River (a highpoint for us), and the narrow gauge train runs at the edge of the campground several times a day - very neat. The showers, bathrooms, and laundry are all kept very clean. The pool is spotless. The office has a nice little gift shop with neat, reasonably priced t-shirts & jackets, etc.

Room Tip: Request as close to the river as possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo S
Lampasas, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We seledted this campground based on 1) free trolley to town 2) train runs through the campground and 3) pictured on Trip Advisor.

Our stay was pretty satisfactory with the exception of our campsite assignment. Like so many places they want to put two sites on one pedestal and our rig is set up for the side other than that which we were assigned. We turned a back in to a head in and were perilously close to the edge of a small dropoff but it got our power and awning on the correct side. The site was 30 Amp, our coach is 50 and the site had water and electric only. Had to go to the other side of the campground to empty our holding tanks.

What really makes this a good choice is the free shuttle to town. It reliably runs every twenty minutes from the campground entrance and since the campground is the next to last stop it is never crowded when you get on though it may well be crowded when you get off in town. If you are going to ride the trolley to take the train get off downtown at the Strater Hotel stop, puts you about two blocks from the station.

The bathroom and shower facilities are adequate and clean though not luxurious (what the hell? It's a CAMPground)

The train comes by three times in the morning and three times in the afternoon. Their arrival is always preceded by a toot on the train whistle. It's cute and that's pretty much all there is to say about that.

I would gladly stay here again and can recommend it to others without reservation. Nicer bathroom facilities would get them a fifth star. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: Don't get one of the wedge shaped campsites on the level nearest Animas View Dr.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Experience started of on a great note. Called to make a reservation and was told that all we needed to do was show up. When we arrived about 6pm we were told we didn't have a reservation. While they were shuffling through paperwork I found the slip that had our name on it. They pulled it out of the pile and it was marked with "no show" on it. They said that we didn't call by 4 pm to confirm. I was a little taken aback by that statement because I clearly remember them saying to cancel I needed to call by 4pm. As I was not canceling I just went ahead with our plans to the site and found myself looking at possibly not having a place to stay. 4th of July weekend is a big holiday so everything was booked in all other areas. While I was discussing this problem with the lady another motorcycle couple was having the same issue with their arrangements. We luckily got a site assigned to us but we're told that they're were no guarantees for the next day. We are told to come talk to them in the morning by 11. The problem was very huge for the other couple as they were not going to be in the area after 8am the whole reason for them being in durango was to ride the train. They had to pack up in the morning and hope for the best. The morning came and I went to talk to them and the lack of caring was evident they didn't even try to talk us into staying again. I was told to come back at 1130 and maybe there would be room. We started making calls and got really lucky because another campground had a cancelation. Review for other campground had been posted. This campground had the potential of being pretty good they just need better communication and a team of people that understand you are making arrangements for taking some time off and don't need the stress of not knowing if you have s place or not. I will not go to this area again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Larry D

Travellers are raving about these Durango hotels

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I can't say enough good about this place. So impressed that I was not hesitant to go back 2 days later after an unexpected breakdown with a friend's motorcycle. Beautiful campground, excellent showers and bathrooms, train comes through campground around 8:10 am, grass well manicured, plenty of shade, and very friendly staff. Free trolley that runs every 20 minutes into town stops in front of campground. RVs on the other side of the tracks. Store had acceptable necessities. Not only would I go back, I did! Would look forward to staying here again if in the area. Motorcycle parked next to tent.

Room Tip: Use the main showers at main building. They are a little bigger and appear less used than the one cl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends