“Stayed here back in the 70's”

Colorado Trails Ranch
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have to say CTR is one of the most memorable experiences I had in my life.
My family stayed there many years in a row. Met many friends.
I would recommend it to all walks of life.

Frankie Campobasso

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 September 2011

As a family of seven, ranging from a six year old, to a grandmother, we had an absolutely fantastic experience! We were all novice horse riders but after excellent instruction from Mike, Head Wrangler, and his staff, we were enjoying gorgeous rocky mountain trails and singing cowboy songs…with confidence!

We loved the fishing program. Gordy and Drew were very patient instructors, teaching expert fly fishing technique. They definitely inspired us with their passion for the sport. On one expedition, they took us to Spud Lake, up in the mountains…check out the picture. The scenery was unbelievable!

The children’s program was top notch. My three sons, ages 12, 10 and 8, along with my 6 year old niece, loved their counselor, Miss Sheri. She took excellent care of them as they ventured to each new activity. Everything from whitewater rafting, trail riding, to safe instruction on shooting rifles was a blast from my group. She even taught my oldest son his Boy Scout Merit Badge for Horsemanship. He was very excited for the achievement!

The food was wonderful! With a wide variety, there was something to please all. Each morning you could enjoy your coffee, kids preferred hot chocolate, on the lodge porch. We could watch the horses coming into the barns from their overnight grazing up on the mountain. With the sun just rising, it started your day with a wonderful sense of peace.

The cabins were quaint and clean. With days full of so many things to do, the children were asleep within minutes each night.

Lastly, many thanks to Jeanne, Ranch Manager. She does an excellent job orchestrating the ranch. Her staff is extremely helpful and welcoming. They made our vacation all the more memorable!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BenzBoyz
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This was our first stay at a dude ranch and it could not have been a better experience. The Colorado Trails ranch excelled in the variety of activities but perhaps more importantly in the amazing staffing. The staff was composed of both permanent staff and summer hires most of whom were college or recent college grads with lots of horse experience. My wife and I and our 14 year old granddaughter thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience and each of us got to experience activities at a level appropriate to our skill and comfort levels (granddaughter is an adrenaline junkie and grandma is timid when it comes to physical activites). The wranglers were well-tuned to our differing needs as was the fly-fishing instructor. Great people, great setting, and nice touches (e.g. great food with staff sitting amongst guests; staff participating in square dancing night). We plan on returning with our 10 year old granddaughter.
PS The youth program was excellent and we felt comfortable leaving the 14 year old to pursue activities with her peers (as I am sure she preferred).

Room Tip: talk to staff when booking as they really want to meet your needs
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RSIsen
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Our family of four recently stayed at CO Trails Ranch (7/31-8/6) and had a wonderful time. Our girls 10 y.o. and 8 y.o. had their own program and us adults had plenty to do as well. The cabins are rustic but clean. I want to commend the entire staff, with a special cow-boy hats off to Jeanne, Mike and Gordon. We'd never been to a dude ranch before, and quite frnakly, I was not that thrilled about the idea, but decided it may be fun for the kids. Now, I cannot wait to go back. Our family travels ALOT and I would definitely recommend this ranch, especially for those with school age children.

Room Tip: Alpine cabins cost lower but have nicer views.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jakyongsuh
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family went to CTR every summer in the late 70s. Our last trip proved that it's just as great as always. Lots of beautiful scenery, incredible food, and the opportunity to just be unplugged for a week. The staff is incredible and the fact that the whole group is there for the week gives you an opportunity to meet new people. Kids have lots of activities with their own age group. It's a great family vacation. Accommodations are clean, but fairly basic. (This is really okay, since you don't spend too much time there).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2011

After driving 13 hours with my dad and three kids in the car we were ready to get out. Not really knowing what to expect when we got there. I have to say as soon as we got out of the car and meet the staff 13 hours seemed like nothing. We went to the ranch for a wedding and did not know what to expect. What a wonderful surprise. Everyone was so friendly and willing to help if needed. The cabin was very clean and fun to stay in. The kids had a blast, they went horse back riding, hiking and swimming. The food was absolutely the best. We had a wonderful time and hope to go back some day.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank jennsam80
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Didn't know what to expect and what we all got out of this trip was phenomenal. The staff was so nice and the kids loved the guides. And the food--wow--the food was overboard! They made everything wonderful. My kids are already wanting to go back!
Thanks for the memories!