“World-class Vacation: Book It!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colorado Trails Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Colorado Trails Ranch
Corona, California
“World-class Vacation: Book It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you're considering staying at Colorado Trails Ranch, all I can say is book it. I'm a professional speaker, which means I've stayed at resorts of all types from Oahu to Ohio to the Sultanate of Oman. And I've had very few resort experiences that I enjoyed more than the Colorado Trails Ranch. To be honest, though I knew we'd love the beauty of the Durango area (which we certainly did), I had my doubts about whether or not my wife and I were really the guest ranch type. Especially because we don't have any kids. But Jeanne Ross and her extraordinary team at Colorado Trails have created something really outstanding. From the moment we arrived we couldn't possibly have been treated better. The accommodations were wonderful, the food amazing, the staff extraordinarily friendly and well trained, and there were more outstanding activities than we could take advantage of: riding, hiking, swimming, fishing, shooting, relaxing by the pool, great conversation with the staff and other guests, just enjoying the amazing Colorado scenery. Jeanne, Debbie, Gordy, Mike, Brent and all the rest of the staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great time, and I couldn't recommend the place more highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barrymaher2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a great week at Colorado Trails Ranch. The accommodations were very nice. The room was very comfortable and clean and they left us snacks and new Keurig coffee everyday. All of the staff were very friendly and really made our stay enjoyable. The horseback riding was really fun. The Wranglers were all very knowledgeable and varied the two daily rides to make each ride different and more fun on the horses. We even got to try out our new skills during the corral capers on Saturday. Taking a dip in the pool and hot tub took the aches away after a day of riding. Each meal was well prepared and quickly served and the dining experience with all of the guests gave us a great opportunity to meet new friends. All of the activities were fun. I especially had fun shooting trap two afternoons. It was very difficult to leave at the end of the week for sure! Thank you Jeannie, Brent, Jane, Spencer, Emily, Jennifer, Dagney, Susan and the rest of the staff for a great vacation!

Stayed July 2014
La Grange, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

In a word this place is amazing. From the horses to the employees to the food to the rooms. I can't say one bad thing about the ranch or our experience there.
FOOD:
Our son has severe food allergies (dairy, egg and nut). We have never let anyone else do the cooking for him. After talking to Jeanne, the ranch manager, we decided to give it a try. Leading up to the trip there were many calls and emails about what he could and couldn't eat. They went to the health food store in town and picked up many of his staples. We did bring a few things but for the most part they handled it all. Brian was very careful to cook his meals separately to avoid cross contamination. Every employee we talked to knew about his issues and knew exactly what food in the kitchen was his.
I am a vegetarian, There was more than enough for me to choose from.
BABYSITTING:
We also have a 6 month old and the girls that came to our room to babysit were great.
KIDS PROGRAM
The kids program is awesome. Maureen and Maggie were so good with the kids. They do riding, archery, hiking, swimming and so much more. Our son had the time of his life. He was so sad the day we had to leave. He wants to move to Colorado just so we can go to the ranch more often.
ADULT ACTIVITIES:
The activities for adults were great. We did mostly riding. Absolutely beautiful scenery. The horses are so well trained and cared for. Brett, the head wrangler takes huge pride in his herd and it shows. All the wranglers (guides) were well trained, professional and great fun to ride with. They made sure everyone from the beginners to the advanced riders were getting what they wanted from their riding experiences.
There is also hiking, shooting, whitewater rafting and just relaxing

Go to this ranch! You won't regret it. It was for sure the best family vacation we've had.
Thanks Colorado Trails! We will be back

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mountain cabin. Very nice and new. Make sure you ask for one of the new buildings...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jodi C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

What an awesome dude ranch experience. Our family didn't know what to expect, but there was something for everyone. Kids program is great...tremendous focus on safety but kids felt free to explore and had a blast. Great fly fishing and of course horseback riding. The staff was professional and accommodate. We're going back and would recommend to anyone looking for an active/family friendly vacation!

Room Tip: All the cabins have been renovated and are quite nice. Any party of two should choose Longview.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My Wife and I went to Colorado Trails with our daughter, daughter-in-law, son and grand daughter. This was our first trip to a Guest Ranch. This was as good a family vacation as we have ever had and thats a fair number of nice trips. Everything about the Ranch is spectacular. Jeanne, the manager is very organized and very accommodating. The whole staff's patience and support of our 2 1/2 year old grand daughter was great. Brian the chef is terrific. The food is both exceptional quality and abundant. Brett, the head wrangler is a great guy. He and his wrangler staff is very helpful and more than happy to help you with any part of the riding experience you need. The horses are very well cared for and can be matched to every level even mine which is more than novice. Gordy the fly fishing guide is perhaps the best guide I have had. He loves his work both as a fly fishing guide in the summer and a college professor in the winter. Fly fishing is one of my real loves and the fishing on the Ranch and around Durango is exceptional. The private water on the Florida is beautiful and has plenty of Rainbow, Brown, and Cutthroat to catch and you have it to yourself. Trips with Gordy to the San Juan are spectacular. Gordy has the patience and experience to teach both experienced fisherman and novice fishermen. Mike who is the "does everything" on the Ranch person will help you with anything. The fact that there was something for all of us depending on what we enjoyed doing and that the staff was so accommodating made this a great experience.

1 Thank Russssss
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I cannot begin to tell you how awesome this ranch is. The staff go out of their way to make you feel at home. They took the time to get to know us, make us laugh, and help make memories that we will never forget. The range of activities is right on, allowing you to do something new and different each day, but yet give you enough time to relax and unwind. We tried to participate in most - horseback riding, hiking to the top of the mountain, white water rafting, shooting, archery, square dancing, power tubing, water skiing, and the trip downtown to see the Melodrama. The wranglers were so helpful in providing us with the training we needed with the horses and adapting to our requests (ie. a shorter ride when we were tired). I highly suggest the all day and/or the chuck wagon half day ride. We rode through the hillside, the open fields, and crossed the river. The scenery was just breathtaking and something that I will never forget.

The food was amazing too! What a fantastic variety all week and yet everything was totally scrumptious. Salmon, strawberry spinach salad, filet mignon, lamb, and delectable oven fried chicken were just a few of the meals that week. The staff was so accommodating to me as well when I let them know that I do not eat cheese. Brian came up with great alternatives for me when the main meal included cheese. I felt like I was eating so healthy all week with the bounds of fruit and veggies available but then of course has to dive into the wonderful desserts that were available too like lemon squares, upside down pineapple cake, warm cookies, and chocolate cake! Trust me, you will never go hungry here. :-)

My 3 teenagers (16. 17 and 19) and I all had a blast and I can't recommend this place enough to those of you seeking a similar vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed in the country cabin and were pretty happy there as it had more of a country feel. We to...
1 Thank Gellers
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is our third visit to the ranch, and to use an old cliché, like wine, it just gets better and better.
This year we stayed in the new cabins. They are extremely well presented, with expert attention to detail and finish. Great Beds (you will crash out guaranteed at the end of each day of full activity) and with front and back porches, you can get the sun all day long if required. This year sees the return of Brett and his crew in the barn. With nearly 70 horses in the Herd, there will be a well trained and matched horse for you. All wranglers are well horse educated and come from a long family background of working with horses. The people I spoke to have been riding horning horses for as long as they can remember, most coming from farms. We felt 100% safe under their direction and supervision, both in the lovely trail walks and the faster jogs and gallops on the meadows.
Once again, we were spoilt for food from Brian the Chef with three large meals a day and don't forget the dedicated baker, who supplies endless cookies etc. If you are bringing the kids, then say goodbye to them in the morning for the activities are all well planned and executed with the dedicated kids councillors. Lots of family activities as well, including rides out for breakfast up in the forest and the end of week family "Rodeo Capers" If you like riding, then I can recommend my favourite "All Day Ride", cross the river and stop for lunch in the high meadows by the chuck wagon, then ride back in the afternoon. Fantastic views and great riding. You can also do a bit of cowboy herding with the cows if you want to try it out. Well worth the half day out on horseback.
All in all, a fantastic week once again. Already booked for 2015 :-)

Room Tip: Ask about the new cabins. Storm Shelter is a great three bedroom and living area building just compl...
1 Thank TRIPITACA