“"Rustic Retreat ... plus the touches of Mike and Maria"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of O-Bar-O Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
O-Bar-O Cabins
Ranked #2 of 12 Durango B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“"Rustic Retreat ... plus the touches of Mike and Maria"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I have somewhat of a history with the O-Bar-O dating back to the late 1980s when it was quite rustic and with no amenities; including DIRECTV, Telephone (internet phone), and Wi-Fi.

Our last visit was in 1989 and with three children. Over the years we have been through Durango several times and always drove up to the O-Bar-O just to reminisce somewhat of years ago when our children were small. One time I was on a business trip in Durango and drove up to the O-Bar-O then climbed the trail across the highway to some upper level aspens to see if my wife's and my initials were still visible (yes). That was special and I took a picture home to show my bride.

Now it is 2013, I am semi-retired in Houston, TX, and we had an opportunity to return. The O-Bar-O has changed and is no longer without amenities. It looks mostly the same from the outside, but inside; well, Mike and Maria have really demonstrated their personal abilities and touches in these cabins. You just don't find this kind of attention to detail and comfort very often even in beautiful settings like this, where such care is a bonus.

The cabin we stayed in is the "Bird's Nest" which didn't exist in the late 1980s. It is the smallest, but wonderfully accommodating. The kitchen is complete with all the kitchen gadgetry you can think of; as well as pots and pans. Just bring food. And then there are the "special touches" like comfortable seating arrangements, a perfect bed (not too soft or hard), awesome shower, gorgeous bath towels and nice robes to extend being pampered. We will return ... and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Erick & Jane Engelken

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Flyright42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My family and I stayed in the Blue Spruce cabin for four nights in August 2013. It had everything we could want or need - the cabin was immaculate, and all dishes/cooking supplies/etc. were neat and organized. It was steps away from the river, and our deck offered a beautiful and tranquil setting amongst the pines. The barbecue, hammock, chairs next to the river, large set of table and chairs on the big deck, and fire pit were unexpected delights. We will definitely come again! Just bring food and wine, and you won't ever want to leave!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed at the Riverview with my two pugs and could not have been more delighted. With a back deck on the river it was perfect to sit and read with a glass of wine and my dogs.
I have been there with my husband and pugs before for Thanksgiving. We only needed to bring the food as the cabins and completely furnished with pots, pans, oven, fridge. It was so peaceful, snwy and beautiful.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally quiet. These rooms and pet friendly and are made special by the owners inc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our best vacation ever made possible by Maria and Mike who are the owners of the O-Bar-O cabins . The two of them pay close attention to every detail to insure that your stay is basically made perfect . We enjoyed the wildlife everyday like bears and deer behind our cabin and along the edge of the river. Our cabin ( Birdsnest ) was spotless clean and so quiet you only could hear the birds and the flow of the river . My wife enjoyed a most relaxing massage inside the tipi along the edge of the river . We made reservations for next year before we left to return home .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimmy M
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the stand-alone "Ponderosa" cabin on our recent 3-day Durango vacation this past August. The Ponderosa is the most "rustic" of the cabins at O-Bar-O, but everything was very clean and comfortable, and the cabin provided the nice quiet setting we desired. In addition, our hosts (Mike and Maria) could not have been more friendly or accomodating. We would definitely stay at the cabins again in the future, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in the Durango area.

1 Thank alloyd5150
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I chose the O-Bar-O to house 22 guests for my daughter's wedding, which took place on Saturday, August 10, 2013. The cabins are 1 mile from our home, and 3 miles from the wedding venue, so extremely convenient. I wanted our guests, the majority from Texas and Oklahoma, to enjoy having the river at their back door. What our guests and my family received was that, and much more. A storm hit right before the wedding. I had sent a shuttle for our guests, and Maria very kindly found an umbrella and escorted our guests in the pouring rain to the shuttle. My father-in-law is still singing her praises. Thank you, Maria, Mike and Susan, for not only welcoming our crew, but for going above and beyond to make sure they were happy, comfortable and DRY.

Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just returned from one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. Mike and Maria have a wonderful place. The cabins are clean, comfortable and have everything you need to make your stay wonderful. Our family can not wait to get back to the cozy cabins and enjoy them and the river next year. Mike and Maria do an outstanding job making O-Bar-O feel like home away from home.