“Amazing experience!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
4-Hour Rafting Trip Down the Animas River
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Durango Rafting & Adventure Tour company at its Finest! For over 33 years we have been serving up the greatest adventures southwest Colorado can offer. We offer 2 hour and 4 hour River Raft Trips, Inflatable Kayak Trips on the Animas River and Wilderness expeditions on the Dolores River. We are located in the heart of downtown Durango, Co. Our tours include, Jeep Rentals, Zipline, train packages, 4x4 tours, Guided Mesa Verde Tours and Stand Up Paddle Boards.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came to Durango from Dallas to experience white water rafting for the first time and I must say it was everything I hoped it would be. Our guide, Christian, was great. He was knowledgeable, experienced and professional. We bought the 4 hour trip and it was absolutely worth it. Our guide told us that this class of rapids was a 3.5 out of 6. So there was a good mix of rapids and smooth sections. During these times he gave us a lot of background on the mountains and the river and rafting in general...very informative. One thing that I would say is spend the extra money on a splash jacket. The water is COLD!!! Shockingly cold. The Animas river is fed by the surrounding mountains so the water your rafting in was probably snow the day before. Having the splash jacket could mean the difference between an exciting rafting experience or a teeth chattering wet one. As a part of the four hour trip you get these splash jackets along with a trail mix bar and some water...but I know you can rent them with the shorter trips as well. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to get one you'll be glad you did. Great trip, amazing experience. Thanks Dave and Christian.

1 Thank Hornedfrog69
DurangoRivertrippers, Manager at Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Great response! Christian, like our other guides enjoy being knowledgeable about the area because there are so many great things to share with people! Yes - the water on the river can be quite chilly during the early summer from the snow melt! Great advice on the splash gear!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cascade of Errors made for a Terrifying Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I do not typically write negative reviews.

1. When instructions were given on the noisy bus I could not hear 90%. Our guide said not to worry bec we were in his raft when I mentioned this.

2. No one with the company checked our vests until I asked him to check my nephew's. This became a huge problem when my niece and another rafter fell in the ice cold water. Bec the other rafter was not secure in his vest he was literally sliding out of it. This completely hampered the "rescue". Had his vest been checked they would not have been in the water as long.

3. Hypothermia became a concern and I asked our guide to let us off at the park. He would not. His response was it wasnt the designated spot. There was nothing on the raft or the bus to warm them...not a warming blanket, not even a towel.

4. And to add insult to injury our guide told my niece it was her fault she fell in.

5. Lastly, pictures were deleted. When all but three of the pictures were deleted I became even more concerned.

I can not recommend this outfit.

The water was very high the day we rafted.

The owner was professional when he returned my call. He assured me that his outfit met all the city and state requirements. My response to him given the him was...given the precious cargo in the raft: my niece and nephew, I was hoping for more than the bare minimum and they had let us down.

4 Thank DurangoLover
DurangoRivertrippers, Owner at Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. When we talked on the phone I truly understand your concerns with this type of adventure. We have taken measures regards to your response comments and concerns. Thank you again for your time.
David
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I can't complain about the rafting experience. It was absolutely a wonderful experience and our guide, Cheeves, has to be the best in Durango. Our youngest is only 8 and the guide talked to her and showed concern anytime she was afraid. Overall, the whole family loved it.

A few things it may be good for you to know... I had envisioned going to a building where you could go inside and wait or change clothes, etc. They run from a kiosk along a busy street so you need to go ready to raft and plan to change somewhere else afterwards. Also, I didn't want to ruin my shoes so I thought I could buy some water shoes from them. These are actually just rented so they have been worn previously by other people.

The staff was great, the trip was great, and we bought the pictures to prove we did it! We would definitely do it again.

Visited June 2014
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you had a great time and that Cheeves was sensitive to your daughters feelings! Yes - our water shoes are for rent - for some piece of mind we clean them with a disinfectant that is made with the purpose of sanitizing items like water shoes! Once again, thank you!
Durango, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Durango Rivertrippers provided an excellent river trip for my family visiting from Chicago and for me! As a local I have been down the river with several different raft companies and Durango Rivertrippers really took care of us. Amanda in the Main Ave. kiosk was very helpful and got right back to me with answers to questions. David, an owner, also was very responsive and professional. Colby, our guide, was informative and fun! I would definitely book another trip with Durango Rivertrippers! I think there has been a change in boats since the brochure was printed.
I think the Premium Boat Trip can actually hold as many as 7-9 people. Just something to keep in mind when you are choosing your trip. Ask at the kiosk to be sure. Thanks again, Durango Rivertrippers!!

Visited June 2014
Thank you for your response! I am so glad you and your family had a great time with us! There are quite a few rafting companies in Durango and I grateful that we made a lasting impression on you! We try our hardest to be punctual with our responding and as helpful as we can! Thank you!
Durango, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience with Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Took the family on a Mesa Verde tour with Durango Rivertrippers and Adventure Tours and it was great! We had the private jeep tour (at a very reasonable price!), and our guide was both personable and knowledgeable about the national park, and its surrounding area! We even got to stop off at a quaint little cafe in Mancos to start the day off right with some coffee and pastries!

Durango Rivertrippers and adventure tours does it right!!

1 Thank DurangoMom5
DurangoRivertrippers, Owner at Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, responded to this review, 8 October 2016
I am happy to hear about your great experience with Durango Rivertrippers. We hope to see you on a tour again soon.

Cheers,