“Family summer vacation”
Review of Purgatory Resort

Purgatory Resort
Ranked #6 of 71 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Purgatory Resort is a family-friendly, four-season resort offering a variety of activities for all ages. In the winter, enjoy alpine skiing and snowboarding, snow shoeing, horse-drawn sleigh rides, Nordic skiing, snowmobiling and more. Summer and fall offers hiking, mountain biking, Alpine Slide rides, zipline, scenic chairlift, disc golf, bungee trampolines, climbing walls, miniature golf and more.
Hickory Creek, Texas, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Family summer vacation”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Family had a great time, and we would go back again any time. Plenty of mountain activities to keep everyone happy. Kids really loved the alpine slide and hiking the ski runs.

Dallas, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Perfect escape to quiet mountain paradise! Lots of wildlife!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect family, summer getaway! Been coming up here for 3 years now to escape the Texas heat. Always cooler up here than the town of Durango. Easy to get to Silverton and Ouray and nearby trails and lakes. The best part is the quiet, small environment here....perfect for our tweens to walk around the base area and partake in the fun activities (alpine sliding, bungee, ropes course, etc).

We have an ATV that we explored the resort mountain on every night...saw 5 bears...a mountain lion and many deer and marmots. Absolutely amazing experience and even more amazing backdrop of the gorgeous San Juan's.

Negative is not many restaurants....there's a coffee place / general store, Purgy's restaurant and a pizza and ice cream place. Stock up on groceries or plan to eat in town each day.

Bucks Livery was a great horse outfitter across the way. Did a 2 hour ride there. Not your ordinary nose to tail trail ride.

Can't wait til the next return!

1 Thank texmex2
san angelo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a few nights. Our room was very nice and clean and peaceful. .. until the second night.
I guess the place filled up and a little noise is expected but my husband and I had a long way home the next day and at 1 am there was still stomping and loud noises coming from the room above. I know this has nothing to do with the resort, but it was a little ridiculous. I banged on the ceiling to get them to stop, and I finally turned the fan on to drown out some of the noise and fell asleep.

We will.be staying here again and I highly recommend it, just be quiet and curious to others.

2 Thank djacobson4440
North Richland Hills, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Incredible summer spot”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just got back after spending the week. I was worried after reading the reviews about the issues with the summer activities. My son enjoyed them over 2 days with little or no waiting. He did several activities over and over. Our one bedroom was perfect for the three of us. We enjoyed the resort to the fullest. It was very quite and the staff was friendly and helpful. We are planning to visit again next summer.

Basalt
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Has potential if the place was run well”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I bought my kids and I the summer value ticket earlier today. We were all so excited!!! We purchased the pass (5 rides) at 1:00. We didn't even come close to getting 5 rides on the alpine slide in 4 hours because the thing was so poorly managed! Such a disappointment!!! We were only driving through, so it was a waste of money- I guess we could have stayed the night to use the rest of our activity pass another day. Why don't they have a fast and a slow designated track? Why can't they stay open a little later when there are 32 people in front of me (over an hour wait in addition to a wait at the bottom of the hill) in the second line that I have waited for 1 alpine slide?!? Why dont you speak to guests about how you provably wont be able to use the full pass in an afternoon, so only buy a few rides?!? Weak. So, trying to "use up" some of our activities, my daughter tried the Euro-bungee. Well, the guys running it would just yank her to the side-completely like a rag doll and not like she is a little girl, to give her a bounce. We jump on the Euro-bungee at Snowmass where we live just about every afternoon and the attendents there are kind, polite, professional and respectful. I guess that we have been spoiled b/c Durango Miuntain Resort employees and staff appear to be stoned idiots running the place. Such a waste for such a spectacular area!!!

1 Thank Snowmassmtngirl

Been to Purgatory Resort? Share your experiences!