“Food was OK, rude server”

Nayarit Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #31 of 203 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Nayarit Mexican Cuisine is located on Main Avenue in Durango. We provide a family friendly environment, so bring the kids. At the same time, we make a great hangout for a night out with friends or a date. We offer a full bar with beers on tap, in bottles, and any mixed drink you would like. Be sure to try our margaritas! We invite you to enjoy the warm Colorado sun, breeze, or moonlight on our spacious patio. Have a taste of some of our customer's favorite dishes off the menu, including the seafood soup, camarones, flautas, and oysters. Here's what just a few of our happy customers had to say about their dining experience with us.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My son and I stopped in for a quick bite. I ordered a ceviche tostada and he ordered 3 fish tacos. We also wanted a cheese crisp or cheese quesadilla. I asked if we could just get a tortilla with cheese only because I didn't see it on the menu and the waiter said yes.
The tostada was pretty good. The fish tacos were very small- about a 3 to 4" tortilla with maybe 1 to 2 ounces of fish on each. The quesadilla was a 9" flour tortilla with a very small amount of cheese melted on it.
Obviously, the restaurant is very popular because there were people waiting to be seated. We hurriedly finished our food so other people could have our table. We were probably there 15 to 20 minutes.
I stood up so they could get our table ready for the next party. The server ran over to give me the check. I couldn't believe it was 28.00! I looked it over and realized they charged us 8.50 for the cheese quesadilla! I called the server over and he rudely grabbed a menu and pointed out the quesadilla which had meat, cheese and other stuff on it for 8.50. I said ours had cheese only and he barked back, "Meat, cheese, whatever- same price!" I asked to speak to a manager and another server came over and said he'd adjust it. They ended up charging us 5.00 which was still overpriced, especially for a small, taco stand-type restaurant.
Everyone was glaring at us standing there and we felt very uncomfortable. We will never go back.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were very excited to go hear because it was highly recommended by our local guide; however, the food, while authentic, was just ok.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Hands down, one of the best authentic Mexican food experiences I've had anywhere. The cachete and lingua tacos are amazing. The simple pollo and carne asada tacos are also amazing. Most that work here are actually from Nayarit Mexico, and the flavors reflect this. All of the foods specialties menu are sea food and delicious at that.

Margarita's as big as your head too.

1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Definitely authentic. Ordered the special, some pork enchiladas. Beans, rice, and margarita were all great but the enchiladas were filled with dried-out dark meat pork and had two HUGE fat chunks. One chunk was solid fat. So glad I did not bite into it, instead I saw it and picked it out. I'm sure the other menu items are great... I forget that I shouldn't order pork or chicken at any "authentic" mexican place unless it specifies white meat.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We were fortunate to find this quaint restaurant as we passed down the street. What a find! If we would have stayed another day, we would have eaten here again. Authentic is the word. Delicious is what it was. Not just Tacos on the menu. The kitchen staff is happy and sings along to the music while they prepare your meal. Arrive early as the maximum seating is 40.

Been to Nayarit Mexican Cuisine? Share your experiences!