“Much nicer than expected”

General Palmer Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Santa Monica, CA
“Much nicer than expected”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We spent two nights at the General Palmer Hotel earlier this week and were pleasantly surprised. I don't normally enjoy older "period" hotels but this was comfortable, very well-appointed, and immaculate.

The only room for us was in the "other building" next to the train station. I was originally dismayed after reading some of the reviews but the room was just fine. The train noise might be a deal-breaker for some but it inspired us to get out of bed and start our day. There is a lovely continental breakfast with muffins, breads, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and oatmeal.

The staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel is centrally located. My only complaint is the lack of hot water in the shower.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Argyle,Tx
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have stayed at both hotels two times each.

They are one block apart so there is no difference in location.

Which one should yo9u stay t ? That depends upon what is important to you.

For me....I like the air conditioner to work really well.
And I like a real parking lot that is hassle free.
The General Palmer has both of those.

Parking at the Strater is a royal pain in the rear and I AC is not up to par at all.

Those two things way heavily in my decision making. Thus, I will never stay at the Strater Hotel again.

I have been in Durango now 4 days and I have gone to the Strater Hotel every night for drinks and entertainment.. I love the music and food.

The G. Palmer must have teh worlds smallest elevator in the world. Old people do nto like this elevator. I can assure you of that.

The Strater Hotel has a much better breakfast. The G Palmers is worse in my opinion that a Motel 8.

Both are pricey....so no real difference there either.

The G.Palmer has no entertainment....which is no big deal to me. I like the AC and the Parking.

Front desk staff is nice at both places. Housekeeping does a great job too.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank CaptainFB
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I really wanted to love this hotel, but I didn't right from the beginning of our stay. We booked (and paid for) a room with a queen size bed, but were put in a room with a double bed. That would have been okay with us if we had gotten charged for the double. Instead, the not-so-friendly girl at the front desk insisted that we were in a room with a queen size bed. I'm not blind -- and this was no queen size bed! We were informed that this was the only room available so we kept the room, but were charged the higher price! If I ever stay there again, I'll bring a tape measure along! Best part of the hotel is the aroma from the afternoon home made chocolate chip cookies that are put out for everyone to enjoy!

Room Tip: Bring a tape measure to prove to front desk person what size your bed is!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna92
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom family suites with 2 kids/ 2 adults and had room to spare... If you're looking for a place to sleep in every morning, this may not be your place... The Narrow Gauge train leaves from right behind the hotel every morning~ we were up early with 2 kids so we didn't mind and the kids enjoyed watching the train leave the station every morning. We plan to visit Durango again and when we do I can't imagine staying anywhere but the General Palmer!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JamieLea33
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Durango, Colorado. This year we stayed somewhere new, The General Palmer Hotel, and my kids LOVED IT!! It is such a quaint, charming hotel. My kids could not get enough of the old elevator. This hotel is located in the perfect location to all of Durango's best shops and restaurants. All of the staff members were very polite and helpful. We will stay at this hotel each time we come to Durango.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank haileyharperbabcock
Garfield, NJ
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Having driven through Durango a couple of times, I always wanted to stay here. $175 a night was steep, but the hotel is beautifully furnished, both in the lobby and the rooms. The only drawback is that they do not have a restaurant, although they do serve a free breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bucky77
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Beautifully decorated with victorian furniture and wallpaper and props plus a teddy bear theme - kids will love it. Great location on the main street of the charming and friendly town of Durango. Only problem was the street noise. If you don't want to hear loud disco music and the sound of partyers and street sweepers (at 3am), be sure to ask for a room that faces the back of the hotel. Also a problem with the heat and air in our room which is why we had the window open. I recommend talking to the front desk if you have an air problem. They are super friendly and helpful. the whole town seems incredibly friendly and happy - many of the workers in restaurants and shops go to the local college, Fort Lewis College. The hotel had fabulous scones for the included breakfast and modern television and internet access despite the Victorian decor.

Room Tip: try a room facing the back
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family