“Great fun in Durango”

Southwest Raft & Jeep
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a veteran owned, family friendly adventure company located in beautiful Durango, Colorado! We offer the best RAFTING and KAYAKING trips on the Animas River. We use smaller rafts with less customers which provides you with a faster, more exciting ride and a more personalized trip with your guide. We use paddle rigs for our rafting trips which allows you to be more involved and experience the fun of maneuvering the raft and pushing through the rapids. Our 4 HOUR RAFTING TRIP is very popular and includes a full lunch in the price! We also offer a RAFTING and ZIPLINE PACKAGE at a great discount. This package is one of our most popular activities. You can have an all day adventure including a 4 hour Raft Trip, a Full Lunch, and a 2 hour Zipline Tour all included in the price. In addition to our guided trips, we offer several water rentals to enjoy on your own: INFLATABLE KAYAKS, STAND-UP PADDLE BOARDS, and RIVER TUBES. If you want to get out and explore the beautiful outdoors, rent one of our JEEP WRANGLERS or LAND ROVERS. There are over 500 jeep trails to explore ghost towns and old mining camps while enjoying panoramic views.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We found this rafting company online just before heading up to Durango, called and booked the Lower Animus 2 hour tour for the afternoon and were not disappointed. The trip on the river at this time of year was quite tame but we still had a few moments of thrills. Our guide Jack was friendly, knowledgable and professional. With two children, one 11 and the other 13, this was a great introductory excursion for them and a fun family outing. Definitely a welcome break from all the hiking and sightseeing we've been doing. Highly recommended.

All reviews
"guide john"
"family reunion"
"mother nature"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
"water level"
"the bus"
in 5 reviews
"a lot of fun"

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The guides are wonderful. The prices are reasonable. We took our 5 year old granddaughter and it was safe and fun. A great way to spend a couple hours while in town. Definitely would recommend!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We were planning to take a 4 hour rafting trip, but when we called, they recommended the two hour trip where the rapids are, as the river further down was pretty calm and not as much fun. They offered if we liked the two hour trip to give us another two hour trip back down the rapids for the price difference to the four hour cost. We did end up going for a second round as we had so much fun the first run.

We used the same guide both times, Matt, and he varied the second trip down the river to give us a little bit of a different experience, so it was almost like we were going down a different river. Matt has great knowledge of the river and had some funny tales and jokes to amuse us as well.

OK, second trip down, on the Smelter rapid I got washed out of the boat. Scary, and cold, cold water. I was fortunate and remembered Matt's instructions of what to do if we end up in the river. Didn't hit any rocks, and some other folks on the river in kayaks helped me get back to our raft. Caught my breath, and we continued to finish the trip. I don't blame the company - this stuff happens, that's why they warn you and give you advice on what to do.

I recommend this company highly.

Now, daughter's review:
This was very fun and I wanted to go again after the second time Matt is an excellent tour guide. I would use this company every time.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I took my very apprehensive mother in law and my wife and our 3 kids down the river with Zach. His knowledge of the area, including bird calls and river jokes, added immensely to our experience. The river was beautiful, the staff was friendly, and my family had an awesome experience. The owner and the office staff were equally outstanding and hospitable. I would highly recommend this company over the other options in the area!! Thank you Southwest Whitewater.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We did the raft tour on our last day in Durango which ended up being the highlight to our trip. I was extremely nervous and about going rafting because I am a non-swimmer and don't care for the water much. My husband however, is the polar opposite and loves the water so I knew it would be something he would enjoy. I explained my nervousness to the staff and was told the tour guide and other staff would do everything they could to ensure I was taken care of. I am so glad that I "pushed my fears" aside and tried it because I ended up having a blast! Our tour guide Zack knows the river well and has a great amount of knowledge about the area and history and makes it fun by throwing in some humor and jokes. Thanks Southwest Whitewater for making a great end to our trip!

1  Thank PD108

Been to Southwest Raft & Jeep? Share your experiences!