“Excellent Hotel”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I read the other reviews and was slightly concerned about my stay, but everything was largely excellent. The property is still very new, so everything is clean and in great condition.

You have to love the fridge & microwave in the room! Coffee maker came with two pkgs (ea. Decaf & Reg). The HD flat screen TV actually came with HD TV service. There was a full channel listing of 2 1/2 pages of channels.The room was decorated with local art and the halls had an absolutely wild carpet design. Only a couple of small note on the room: there was only one phone (does anybody actually use those anymore, except to call the front desk) and the towel rack was not over the toilet, but in the shower. The phone book in the room was from May of 2012. Internet access was great. Desk had no drawers or stationary, the Hotel and Durango area specifications were in an unmarked 3-ring binder. All the hotels do seem to have the tiny pillows on the beds, but I got 5 (for my King).

The staff was super friendly. I had shipped a couple of pkgs to myself and there they were waiting for me at the the front desk when I checked in. The entrance to the hotel parking lot off the Hiway was not well marked, but you have no problem seeing the hotel.
I did not eat in the restaurant.
I did go to the pool/spa. Clean, kept up nicely, with some cool, blue lights in the pool and Hot Tub.
I'll be back next spring

Room Tip: I try to avoid being on the "Highway side" of all hotels, but this Hiway doesn't seem...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
AGM_Holiday_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

The Holiday Inn & Suites of Durango would like to thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you found delight in the numerous amenities that we have to offer for all of our guest. From the decor of the hotel and spa area to our spacious rooms. We are happy that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful as we take great pride in delivering world class customer service to all of our guest. Again we thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay and look forward to making your next visit with us as memorable as your last.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed at this very comfortable Holiday Inn in October. Rooms were nice, restaurant was very good and affordable! Very close to downtown and the train station. Staff was friendly and very helpful. I would stay at this location again.

• Stayed: October 2013

The Holiday Inn & Suites of Durango would like to thank you for taking the time to lend your comments to us in regards to your recent stay. I will be sure to share with our staff members your sentiments in on both the restaurant and the hotel. It is our goal to ensure that all of our guest have a delightful experience with us such as the one that you enjoyed. The Holiday Inn & Suites of Durango and its staff look forward accommodating you during your next stay to the Durango.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was really impressed with the staff. Especially the front desk and restaurant staff. Bartenders were out of this world. Their keepers. Beautiful rooms. Clean and lots of space. The suites are very nice. The sports bar is a nice place to close out the evening. And the meals aren't bad either.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
AGM_Holiday_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We here at the Holiday Inn & Suites thank you for your recent comments on your stay with us. We take great pride in our guest service and our guest satisfaction. I will be sure to share your thoughts and sentiments with our staff members and management team. We are always enthused when we receive confirmation from our guest that we are doing a good job and living up to our expectations in all facets of our hotel. Again, we thank you for your comments and your patronage and look forward to being your hotel of choice during your next visit to the Durango area.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We usually stay at a high-end Hotel in Durango. We were attracted to this great-looking property and went in and asked to see a room. the young ladies at the front desk were very cheerful and helpful. One of them went with me to show me the room. The rooms were very large, well decorated with local photos on the wall. A faux fireplace sold my wife and we decided to stay there. Everything in the room was wonderful, and deserves a "five star" rating.
When checking in, we were asked if we wanted the breakfast option. For $10 you get a $20 breakfast voucher. We took that option. Our friends, who live in Durango, told us that we had made a mistake. They had eaten dinner there and did not like it, and the reputation around town is that they have bad food.
I have worked in the hospitality industry, and did not believe that such a fine hotel could have such terrible food. we went to breakfast with an open mind. We were the only ones in the restaurant. That should have been a red flag right there. It is not an actual "restaurant". the Hotel hosts a sports bar, which also serves as the restaurant. Not a great atmosphere for a Monday morning breakfast.
I ordered the steak and eggs with potatos.. The steak came out tasteless and watery. I think that they took a frozen steak and threw it into boiling water to defrost it. The eggs were not prepared the way that I had requested. The potatos were out of a frozen bag, had not been seasoned with anything, and had obviously been cooked earlier and sat around to get cold and hard. My wife ordered an omlette. that had ham. The diced ham was taken out of the refrigerator and thrown onto the omlette. It was not warmed up! She quit after just a few bites. The buttermilk pancakes were better than everything else, but had a strange flavor and texture. The server was nice, but unskilled. When we left, not one plate had been removed from the table despite telling her that we were done. She dropped off the check for me to sign without a pen. I looked around, and there was nobody around to ask for a pen, so I had to go to the hotel desk for a pen. as we were going back to our room, the front desk person asked "How was breakfast?" to which my wife responded "Yuck". She nodded, as if she had heard this before.
STAY at the Holiday Inn, the rooms are fantastic. Go to Dennys for breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear John B,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It's great to hear that you were satisfied with our room accommodations. We always want our guest to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. It is very regrettable to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the service and quality of food served in our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and we are confident the hotel management will take necessary steps to improve our guest experience.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I Pricelined my way into a good deal for a 5 night stay here, after initially staying one night for regular pricing using Hotels.com The friendly desk helped ensure I'd keep the same room for entire week despite making two separate bookings. Awesome.

My room was perfect. PERFECT. Well, except for maybe the orange easy chair, but even then the orange color was perfect. It's the little things too, such as a WIDE door that opens OUT instead of INTO the bathroom, maximizing space and making use of the bathroom pleasant and easy, an office desk with a wood finish perfectly suitable for my MacBook and mouse, plenty of outlets to choose from for plugging in my gadgets, a generously sized fridge, microwave, close proximity to the laundry room and elevators, huge LCD TV, and easy chair to crash in when reading a novel on my iPad, excellent WiFi, really, just about all the amenities a geek like me could need.

The only oddball thing was the requirement of placing my keycard in a slot to activate the bathroom lights. Not sure what that was all about. Otherwise, I found the decor pleasant, the staff helpful, and the hotel's quiet location just outside of town and away from the central hustle and bustle ideal.

I know other guests like to complain about the dogs, but Durango is a very dog friendly town, so it's not surprising to see a higher than normal count of pets at its hotels. I found them a welcome presence and (at least so far as my visit went) very quiet, well behaved.

Would definitely stay here again, heck I wouldn't mind living here. Then I could play chess and solve crimes for a living...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Frank S

Dear Guest,

We here at the Holiday Inn & Suites are pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us. We pride ourselves in providing world class customer service and accommodations to all of our guest. We are pleased with your confirmation that we are living up to our pledge of doing so.

We look forward to being your home away from home during your future stays in the Durango area.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

New hotel, we stay two nights, but the place was full of dogs.. All over even had one in the room near us that barked for over an hour. I do not like sleeping in a barn, we found another place to stay. October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Durango Central, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Helen737,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the nearby pets prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in October...2 rooms for 3 gal pals.. The hotel is beautiful!!! Very clean, very sound proof walls and hallways ... They have a very nice sports bar in the hotel that serve great food and stiff drinks!!! The best part?? They have a FREE shuttle to take you downtown to shop, or eat or bar hop !! It goes till 10 at night!!! I have stayed in Durango a few times now and I will always stay at this hotel from now on!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013