“The highlight of our time in Durango!”
Review of Surf the San Juans LLC - CLOSED

Surf the San Juans LLC
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf the San Juans specializes in whitewater kayak and stand up paddleboard instruction and stand up paddleboard rentals with delivery.
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our group of six, spanning ages from 19 to 71, had little to no experience on stand-up paddle boards (SUPs) or whitewater kayaks when we arrived at the Animas River. The expert instruction that Drew and Anna provided to us before putting in, and while afloat, gave all of us the skills and confidence to enjoy our time on a river like we never had before. These people really know their stuff, and are totally laid back and friendly. Equipment provided was excellent and perfectly accommodated our various sizes and needs. If you're looking for some quality outdoor recreation in Durango, you should definitely consider Surf the San Juans to bring it! Even if you're just looking to rent equipment, they will deliver it to you and pick it up when you're finished. It really couldn't be easier. You will learn a lot, and acquire water skills to take home. I can't wait to do this again. An outstanding service! Highly recommended! Check out their website, too - it's a tremendous resource.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We took our family for a two hour paddle boarding lesson, Anna was so helpful and sweet. She worked so well with all of us and we had a blast. She went above and beyond to take pictures and send then to us. She was encouraging and very patient. We all loved our time in the Animad river thanks to this company and especially Anna. We highly recommend.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We (my husband and I) had a fantastic time paddle boarding. This was our first time doing SUP and Anna really successfully balanced being patient with us while also encourgaing us to challeneg ourselves when comfortable. What fun!
It was very easy to organize, a relaxed yet professional setup. I strongly recommend contacting Surf the San Juans for an afternoon / day of fun on the river.
C & P

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Surf the San Juans was a great experience for our crew. We knew we wanted to do something on the river but thought that rafting looked a little tame. We were referred to SSJ and met them at the drop off point on the river. We had never been stand up paddle boarding (SUPing) before but they gave us what we needed to know and then let us do our own thing. The Animas that runs through town was perfect for what we wanted, and you can ride your knees anytime you are uncomfortable. We left the kayaks and rafts in the dust! They picked up our equipment down stream and we road the Durango Trolley back to our car. Really chill people and a GREAT time on the river, I can't wait to try SUPing on a more hairy river.

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Very high-quality instruction (and equipment rental) for both standup paddleboarding and white water kayaking. The owners are also instructors; my first lesson I worked with Drew and he was focused, intelligent, highly skilled and also mindful of my situation as a first-time paddleboarder. He was a great teacher and their equipment is new, clean, and high quality; no grungy stuff like some other places stick you with. Next time I just rented a board, and they actually deliver and pick up the gear-no hauling stuff, no shuttling!! I really enjoyed my first couple experiences with this outfit and look forward to getting back on the river. Paddleboarding is fun and can be relaxing but I found it can also be a mental and physical challenge, if I want to push myself. It is a great way to enjoy the Animas that feels more organic and interesting than just floating downriver in an innertube or raft. Thanks Drew and Anna for a great time!