“A mixed review”

El Moro Spirits & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
El Moro Spirits & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 202 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: El Moro Spirits & Tavern was created in the building that once housed the El Moro Saloon in the early 1900's. The food is modern-rustic: common foods from the early 20th century created with modern culinary techniques. Handcrafted cocktails, an extensive beer list and forty wines, all approachable & affordable, grace our beverage menu.
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at El Moro, we had heard good things from others and I have to say they were pretty accurate except for one thing.
We went for Father's Day brunch and were surprised that it wasn't packed. We were seated right away, greeted by the waitress promptly and received our drinks. Placed our order and waited and waited and waited. 45 minutes. Now there were only 8 other tables. The waitress was at our table several times to apologize even saying the manager was going to bring our food so we could talk to him. Instead another wait person brought it while the manager stood behind the bar drinking a red bull. When the food did arrive it was very good. We will return because of the food and the waitress, the manager not so much. It's disappointing to know he'd rather hang out as opposed to address some problems for his customers.

1  Thank Duffy M

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Coming off of two-weeks in the Utah backcountry, I was looking for a steak, passed by El Moro in old downtown Durango, and thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed, although I would have preferred a baked potato to the large-cut home fries. The steak was a generous portion and grilled to my specifications. They have a large although somewhat confusing beer list and I was disappointed that there wasn't an IPA on tap (standard fare at most Colorado bars of quality). My waitress was very attentive and anxious to please, but I got the impression she was fairly new and still learning the ropes. Some reviewers have commented on the noise level, but I didn't perceive this as an issue and the place was busy since it was Saturday night. There is a pretty rowdy bar right next door and I can understand how there might be some "bleed over" on warm Summer evenings when lots of people are milling about in front of both establishments.

1  Thank John-David L
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We sat at the bar and marveled at their huge shelves of whiskey and other spirits. We sampled their thoughtful beer menu. We filled ourselves on craft cheeses and charcuterie. We felt totally spoiled by the excellent service from the bartender. We enjoyed the playful and creative decor. Truly a memorable meal!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a group of 5 for brunch and everyone's choice was very, very good. Prompt service, innovative decor, bathrooms worth the visit just to see the decorations. Their benedictions (various takes on eggs benedict) are great. I had the 'Jose' with masa cake, chorizo, eggs, chipotle hollandaise and avocado - yum. Much of what they have on the brunch, lunch and dinner menu's are locally source and organic. Did I mention really good food? They often have drink specials, and we lucked into free mimosas with a brunch plate. If you love breakfast or brunch on the weekend, try El Moro. We will be back to try another meal.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stopped by for dinner at El Moro on recommendation from the owner of the bed and breakfast place we were staying at in Durango on our way to Kanab, Utah. The clam appetizer was so good we were sopping up every last drop of sauce with the delicious bread. We also enjoyed the prawns and chips. Liked it so much that we had to stop by again for an encore on our way back home.