“Best steak in all the West”
Review of Ore House

Ore House
Reserve with OpenTable
Ore House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 199 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Avenue
Transit: Trolley stop located right across the street.
Description: Established in 1972, the Ore House is one of Durango's oldest and finest restaurants. Featuring hand cut USDA certified Black Angus prime and choice steaks, steaks from ranches surrounding southwest Colorado, sustainable seafood, all natural poultry, seasonal local produce, and homemade desserts.
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Oar House is hands down the best steak house in the West and Durango Colorado. And yes a little pricy but well worth the extra dollars you will spend.

1  Thank BlueMoonhat

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Maybe I'm just a simple gal, but I found there menu to be a little pretentious. Upon arriving the atmosphere was cozy, a little "rustic" maybe. We were greeted right away and seated. The first thing I noticed was the pricey menu. The steaks are dry aged, and they were yummy, but at the end of the night, the $98 bill for 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. It was descent food and good service, however, I didn't think it was *that* good.

2  Thank Kwill210
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We found the atmosphere and food to be very good at the Ore House; however, we found the prices to be very, very high. Our 6 oz filets were fixed perfectly, but we found that paying an extra $7-$9 for side dishes was a bit over the top especially in light of the fact that one can buy a potato for about $1.00 in the store. The potato we had as a side dish and shared was of average size not the bigger size one would expect if paying such a high price for it. Price gouging is not a good practice and will be a factor in deciding whether I will pay the Ore House a visit in the future.

1  Thank dkwbergen
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

As always the steaks, cocktails & desserts were top notch. Everything was so good. The steaks were cooked to perfection. The sides were delicious. Will return.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a celebratory dinner at The Ore House last night, and it was a perfect experience all the way around. We love the fact that they have organic options and use local meats and produce whenever they can.

We've recently had an unexpected cold snap in Durango, and I was afraid the restaurant would be chilly, so I grabbed a fleece just in case. I was pleasantly surprised to find the restaurant temperature to be just right - warm enough to feel comfortable but not too warm. The interior of The Ore House is perfect for a steak house - it has old-time pictures of local scenes on the walls and by the tables, as well as memorabilia from many of Durango's businesses. We enjoyed looking at a horse-drawn carriage on what I think was the Million Dollar Highway before it was actually a highway - it was more of a one-lane trail. It looked even scarier than it is today!

The Ore House was full of happy people who were talking and laughing, but the noise level was still excellent. I didn't notice the conversations of the people around us, and my husband and I could easily carry on a conversation without raising our voices or straining to hear each other. I love that in a restaurant, and it seems so rare these days.

We got a great table (actually, they are all pretty great tables) and our waitress Chrissy was superb. She recommended the Chateaubriand (which we had never ordered anywhere until last night). We also ordered the Mac and Cheese and Sauteed Mushrooms as sides. We started with the Organic Spinach, Wild Arugula & Duck Confit salad, which was large enough to share, and simply delicious.

I know it might sound strange to order Mac & Cheese with Chateaubriand, but this Mac and Cheese is outstanding. It is made with seared jalapenos and bacon, gorgonzola and sharp cheddar, so it's not your plain old mac & cheese! The perfect level of hotness, with melt-in-your-mouth cheese - it really borders on addictive. I found myself wondering if I could order it take-out style next week when we have company coming over for dinner...

We asked Chrissy to leave the Chateaubriand in two large hunks of perfectly cooked tenderloin instead of quartering it (one for me and one for my husband), and even though we had steak knives, I'm pretty sure I could have cut it with my fork.

We ate every bit of our very large and oh, so satisfying meal, having enjoyed the entire evening tremendously. It was one of our best restaurant experiences ever, and we'll definitely be going back to The Ore House again and again.

1  Thank Debra L