“Fun dinner”

Ranked #8 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Steamworks Brewing Co. Opened its doors in Durango in September 1996. A favorite watering hole for locals and visitors alike, the brewpub has much more to offer than award-winning craft beer. Known as a town meeting place, Steamworks enjoys a bustling, fun environment. Steamworks' culinary program is unmatched in the region in both breadth and quality of offerings. The "gastropub" fare includes regionally-raised meats and sustainable seafood. Healthy salads, delicious pizzas, spicy Southwestern-style dishes, and vegetarian & gluten-free offerings provide something for everyone who's hungry. The Steam Engine Lager is "arguably the best American - Style Amber Lager in the world" as it has garnered four Gold Medals, a Silver and a Bronze Medal at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) over the years and also has taken a Silver Medal at the World Beer Cup (WBC). Steamworks has won a total of twelve GABF medals, and two WBC medals. The brewpub maintains up to 18 styles of beer on tap.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A very busy restaurant with a number of locals. Large variety of beers on draft which included locally brewed beers. Large choice of sandwiches and entrees many having spicy component. Fish tacos were excellent and one of our group had chicken/waffles with some jalapenos in the waffles. Green and/or red chiles in many of the items or on the side.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was in beautiful Durango for a week for work. I had seen the reviews and decided to try it Monday night for dinner. I came in about 5:30 and found a nice place at the bar. They had both baseball and hockey on, so that was a good sign. The service was prompt, and very knowledgeable about the beers. I took his suggestion for the Third Eye Blind IPA, and it was very good. I ordered the Green Chili Cheesburger and was floored. The meat was perfect, with the green chili giving a nice heat and balance tot he flavor. I had a few more beers, and picked up a 6 pack for the week at the liquor store.

When i travel I have a rule of not eating anyplace I can get at home, or at the same place twice. I broke that rule here and went back Wednesday night and had more delicious beer and a great Shaved Briskit French Dip. I am going back there for work agin in a few weeks, and this is the first place I am going to go.

1  Thank Ken K
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We visited this brewery / restaurant for a late night dinner while driving through Durango and were delighted to receive great service and high quality food. It was very close to the closing time and generally service suffers at that hour ... not so at this place! The waitperson was very pleasant and patient. We made ton of substitutions (Corn vs. Flour, Gluten-free option, Mix / Match on side items, Smaller pours on the local brews ) and all our requests were happily accepted and efficiently executed ... Food was quite good and reasonably priced. We will be back ! Keep up the good work ....

1  Thank PG13LA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was really disappointed with this restaurant. Its huge even by big city standards, dirty, the wait staff unfriendly and the beer...just ok. The food is no different than anything you could get from a Chilis, Ruby Tuesday or TGIF, nothing special. I feel the biggest draw to the place was the fact that it did have a lively pub style atmosphere.

1  Thank GoldCoastFlyer
DGOKO, Owner at Steamworks Brewing Co, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Scott69 - The twenty-two employee/owners here at Steamworks are sorry you did not have a better experience. We are not a franchise, or trying to be one. We are locally owned and offer sustainable, regional fare. Our Executive Chef works very hard to create a menu that reflects the personality of our region. As for our beer, we have garnered more medals from the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup than any other brewery in our area. And finally, we have free peanuts, allowing patrons to throw their shells on the floor. While this may seem dirty to you, it creates part of the vibrant, local vibe that is far different than any chain restaurant. We hope that you take all this into consideration and will visit us again on your next visit to Durango.
The Steam Team

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Steamworks is my comfort restaurant - I have daydreamed of sitting down in this restaurant countless times while deep in the backcountry. A conductor or a train smoke are my favorite beers in town, and I have my assortment of favorite menu items, which are always good, consistent, satisfying, hearty, well balanced, etc. It's my favorite place to go when I'm looking for something more than a burrito but it's not a super special occasion. It's not gourmet or organic or unique, but it's reasonably priced with a broad and solid menu and friendly waitstaff.

That said, everyone else seems to feel the same and I've stopped going in the evenings, because of the wait. I get annoyed that with all the restaurants in this town, that everyone else seems to want to come to Steamworks too (and they don't take reservations). I wish that either Steamworks opened up a 2nd location, or that someone else opened up a reasonably priced restaurant with better food than the other bars in town (which aren't up to Steamworks' level at all). Being able to order a shaved brussels sprouts and kale salad on the side means a lot to me! Thanks Steamworks. ALSO, please bring back the Bread ciabatta rolls. Letting those go was a major misstep, to me and everyone else I know.

1  Thank Torrey B