“Stay Away!!”
Review of Durango Lodge

Durango Lodge
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed 4 August 2007

We stayed at the Durango Lodge for one night recently and I couldn't wait to leave. The room smelled so bad that even a strongly scented candle and air freshener couldn't ease the smell. I had trouble sleeping, wondering what kind of mold my children were breathing in. When checking in I asked about the must sees in Durango and the woman at the desk told me I should go to a park 40 minutes away! Then she gave us incorrect directions to Ft. Lewis College. The location for this lodge is definately a plus, but there is no way I would recommend this place to anyone I care about. I was so anxious to leave, we didn't even stick around for the "contintental" breakfast, which the woman told me was bagels. I was also disappointed because I had read the positive reviews on this website. If ever in Durango avoid this one!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank jeks3

Reviewed 20 July 2007

The rooms were clean. The bathroom was big and had a walk in shower which was a nice change from the tub/shower. The noise from the train didn't bother us at all. There is limited parking, but is very close to the train station.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2007

Best location for the train to Silverton and withing easy walking distance of historic downtown. Room was comfortable and quiet.

Only downside is if you have the first Summer train of the day boarding at 7AM. Office does not open for breakfast until 7AM, so you must make other arrangements.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 June 2007

The Durango Lodge has a good location near the train station in the historic district. Be advised that you will be awakened daily by the train whistle at 6:00AM. We had a small ,but nice room that appeared to have been remodeled. The breakfast fare was ok - bagels, cereal, oatmeal. Hot tub was nice. For the price, it was a good stay. My only complaint would be the staff. The front desk staff appeared to have little desire to speak with guests and was not knowledgeable about the activities of the town.

Enjoyed the Mexican restaurant next door called Gazpacho. Salsa is on the hot side there but we were told they cater to the local's taste.

Enjoyed the walking trail along the river. Great place for bike riding and hiking. Loved visiting Durango.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Pearsob1
Reviewed 10 October 2006

The best thing to say about the Durango Lodge is that it is a few steps away from the Train Depot. Very convenient to downtown shops and restaurants too. But the rooms are nothing special for the price, cluttered and the air conditioning didn't work. If you want something close downtown I guess this is okay but don't expect to be spending time in the dreary rooms.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SoLong22
Reviewed 22 August 2006

I stayed at the Durango Lodge during fourth of July week. I chose this hotel because I was booked on the Independence Day Express, and knew it was the closest to the railroad which got back in the wee hours that next morning. I thought the room was very nice and I really enjoyed my stay there. I would stay at this hotel again. You have access to the best Durango has to offer within walking distance---restaurants, shops,bars--the whole experience. This hotel definitely puts you in the center of the action. Durango is a wonderful town--this was my second trip out from South Carolina.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Carolinaboy67
Reviewed 23 June 2006

We chose this property as part of a week-plus driving trip around the country. It was conveniently located in downtown Durango within walking distance to the railroad, shops and restaurants.

The hotel was okay. Our room overlooked the street and the main stairway, so it was very loud well into the night. There were a number of children staying there at the time (the Thomas the Tank railway event was going on) and we could hear them running up and down the halls well until 11 p.m./midnight. We could also hear people yelling on the street. If we had to do it all over again, I would have requested a different room toward the back or overlooking the inner parking lot.

Our room was small (probably because it is an older motor lodge), but clean. There was a nice-sized refrigerator in the room; no bath, just a shower stall. We also liked the fact that it was family owned.

The hotels nicest features are its location and its outdoor pool and enclosed spa (outdoors). The complimentary breakfast was all cold options, but it was free. We opted instead for a local coffee shop (bypass the Starbucks and keep walking, there are excellent local alternatives.

• Stayed: June 2006