“a bit of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Durango Riverside Resort
texas
“a bit of heaven”
Reviewed 22 March 2010

my husband and i stayed at the resort twice last year. we are always greeted with friendly staff and clean facilities. our cabin was clean and restful. the sound of the river passing by just lulls us to sleep. the grounds are clean and well manicured. the pool is heated and very clean. we stayed 10 days in june and 12 days in sept. our vacation is made enjoyable by the staff. if you want a relaxing place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
san diego
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We were offered a free night stay as a membership drive. We accepted the offer because we wanted to take the Silverton to Durango train and stay over night to return to Silverton. It turned out that the train was full. I called the manager (Scott) to explain why we could not be there (we were in Silverton and had passed through Durango and did not want to drive back). Scott seemed to understand the situation, but we were charged $100 for the "free" cabin. The registration form indicated that there would be a charge (amount unstated) we we cancelled in less than 72 hours prior to the reservation. This would be impossible since we were ready to board the train and be there in 3 or 4 hours.

They don't even have the honor to return my phone calls or emails and the Sales rep. in Silverton: Janelle Brown did not return my call also.

I get the impression that the management believes that they can do whatever they wish since there appears no way someone from out of state can reach them. They present a very negative impression of Colorado tourism.

Kenn Colclasure
San Diego, CA

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank vesl
seattle
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I arrived in the afternoon, went into the office to check in. The place was fairly busy, with a very loud phone ringing non stop, distracting the staff from helping anyone at the counter. Upon check in my credit card was charged and I received nothing in return. Nothing. No site map, no details on hours of facilities, check out times, etc. When I asked if they had any handouts the staff member told me the person that just charged my card was supposed to give me a welcome packet and asked me to come back later and get one (the staff member she was referring to was just behind her in an office in a conversation with another coworker). After getting to our site we found the park to be very tight for maneuvering and we backed up right to the deck off someones mobile home. We had no desire to stay and in fact left early the next morning even though we'd paid in full with no refunds. Lessons learned - never pay in full before seeing what you are getting. Also note that despite the name this place is nowhere close to Durango. In fact it's about 12 miles north of Durango, on the way towards Silverton. There are nicer choices in the area - try Alpine Rose RV or better yet stay out by Mesa Verde at Mesa Verde RV Resort. Very nice staff and a lovely park with a nice pond and large sites.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mnflwr
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Was looking for an RV park in or around Durango, Colorado ... decided on this one because of its location north of Durango (cooler weather) and along the Animas River. Made the reservation over the phone and gave the lady all of my pertinent information (arrival and departure, trailer size, slide-outs, etc.).

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a young man about 18 years of age. He asked me to come inside the office to register. When I did, I was greeted by a young woman, also seemingly 18 years of age. The check-in process was fine. However, neither offered any information about the park, the location or hours of any of the amenities (showers, store, pool, movie nights, etc.). I had to ask, to which I was given a couple of loose pieces of paper and told that all of the information was on them.

The young man then led us to our space. Uh oh ... I was being assigned a space that was clearly too small for our 33' fifth-wheel with slide-out. When I politely objected and told the man that I didn't think that my trailer would fit, his only response was that I could probably get a full refund if I didn't want to stay. What????? No offer to look into another space, other options, anything? Just an offer to refund my money if I didn't want to stay. When I suggested another space, the man left to go check with the office, then returned and said that they were all sold out, and again told me that if I didn't want to stay, I could leave and get a full refund.

Knowing that nearly every decent RV park in Durango was sold out, I found a way to jam the trailer in there (after first hitting a large boulder in the driveway), even having to raise the hitch an extra 12" in order to get the truck out from underneath it. I was able to open the slide, but at the expense of the awning ... can't open the awning on one side with the slide open on the other.

There are a few "premium" spaces at this park, but those are reserved long in advance. The vast majority of the regular spaces are very tight, narrow and have little driveways in front or behind. There is good shade from lots of trees, and the Animas River is right there, so that is nice. But the entire park felt cramped and crowded. I even found that on two mornings, people had thrown their empty beer cans into the bed of my truck ... really nice. Kind of indicates the type of crowd that stays here.

Finally, on one morning, an older gentleman came by and asked how my stay was going. After some discussion, he launched into a speech about how the park was going private and would I be interested in attending a 75 minute presentation on space ownership in the park. Are you kidding? If I wanted to attend a timeshare presentation, I would have looked for one. I certainly didn't expect to have one brought to me while on a family vacation.

So, nice location, good shade trees and pretty river. The heated pool was a nice touch and the ice cream shop was handy (but always seemed to close earlier than the posted signs indicated). But it is apparently going private with memberships required at some point in the future, or so said the older gentleman who wanted me to attend his presentation. The young staff need public relations training and need to be taught ways to problem-solve without first offering the "you can leave" option.

Would not return again, as there are too many other RV parks in the area to try in future visits.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank ccollman
Boca Raton, FL
Reviewed 25 July 2008

This campground is 15 miles out of Durango. The setting is on the Animas River, which is pretty, but the sites are close together and the place gets crowded. We had issue with the campground staff. They were not nice. We will not go back.

Stayed July 2008