“a gem”
Review of East by Southwest

East by Southwest
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 199 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

we are locals, went into downtown durango looking for dinner last night and stumbled into East by Southwest, it was busy but they said they could have a table in 10 minutes - and they did. what can I say, the service was excellent, the waiter very helpful in picking dishes, the food was amazing and well presented, and the sake some of the best I've had. we will definitely be back

Reviewed 2 October 2013

East by Southwest is connected to Golden Triangle, or what I call the quieter side. We entered through the door of Golden Triangle. The bartender said we should go over to the hostess stand in East by southwest. Ok, so we walk thru both restaurants to be seated back where we were. Not a good start in my eyes. To summarize, our server seemed to be more interested in staring at the ceiling than us as customers. I was able to watch the chefs put out food on their counter when it was ready. I constantly saw the food sitting for several minutes. I noticed one plate sitting for about 5 minutes, thinking aww, poor customer will be getting cold food. well that customer was Me!! I ordered the flat iron steak teriyaki. the steak itself was good, although very rare ( I asked for medium rare). It was beside lackluster, cold, old mashed potatoes, topped with onions tempura style. And came with vegetarian sushi. Not exactly what I read on the menu but imo was a complete mess. Will not be returning.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My spouse and I were looking for a weekend getaway close to home and I ended up seeing the Tripadvisor comments. I was shocked how far down the list East by Southwest was, as it is my favorite restaurant and where both of my boys pick to go every birthday. I've eaten there dozens of times and have never had a complaint about the service. I love their California rolls and many other menu items. Although it can be pricey at dinner, you can pick several items to share at a lower cost. I find lunch more reasonable. Their bento boxes come with miso soup, Edamame, California or spicy rolls, plus a side of your choice. The Thai tea is soo good. I've eaten sushi in larger cities and I continue to think East by Southwest is the best. (On a side note, if you are not into sushi, try Cypress Cafe.. by far the most well prepared meals in town for a more Western palate.)

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I've written a prior review but have to re-post given our recent experience. One member of our party was served and the remaining two orders did not arrive. After 45 minutes, and after our waitress attempted to serve us another tables sushi roll, we had to get up and find someone to ask about our missing orders. We were told "it will be right out". After 15 more minutes we got up again, and were told "the kitchen is just really busy". The restaurant was about 1/4 full. When we were finally served (just after deciding to leave) we were also given our tab - with no accommodation or apology for the hour delay. The food is good, but $50 for lunch demands a reasonable level of service. You are better off with sushitarian or rice monkey for sushi or Thai in Durango until east by southwest gets its act back together. Sad to post a negative review, this was formerly our favorite place in town.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I get to go here about twice a year. It's very expensive but the food is usually great quality. I had a NY NY roll that was excellent and a Thai spicy roll that was good quality, just not my favorite taste. Service was below average although friendly.