All reviewscookiesthe secret gardenjohn waynemovies filmedaveda productsfree bikesin townblock from main streetwestern moviegranolabreakfast was deliciousfresh fruitlots of historycharming hotelevery afternoonfavorite hotelwalking distance
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Rochester this past week and it was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve had. I had a room on the lower floor and could hear every footstep from above, which I was awakened to at 5:30 am. There is not a safe place to load and unload your vehicle, I was told to use a parking spot across the street, which put me out in a traffic lane while trying to get my things. The staff at the desk was not able to check me in or out in a timely manner (new employees left alone/ training). Also, for a historic hotel listed on the National Register, I felt the interior lacked much of its historic features, and the furnishings looked like a mish-mash of IKEA and a garage sale. I would not recommend this hotel, and wish I had stayed somewhere else; the whole experience really put a damper on my trip :(

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelB4ucant
Rochesterstaff, Manager at The Rochester Hotel and Leland House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

We are sorry the guest did not have a great stay. We appreciate the feedback and are working to correct any problems the guest described. If a potential guest has a question about this review please call the hotel and ask for a manager, we will make sure all questions are answered.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I love this little place in Durango. The rooms are bigger than you expect and the decor is so fun with all of the movie posters and history. It's very comfortable and the staff are beyond friendly, they are sincere!!
The breakfast is amazing with fresh ingredients and choices for any dietary needs.
I felt like I was walking in the same footsteps with some of the best of Colorado's history and movie talents.
Fun, really fun.

Room Tip: I was in a room right at the top of the stairs and it was quiet and easy to get to all of the other ammenities in the Hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
komick, Manager at The Rochester Hotel and Leland House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for your review with Trip Advisor. We appreciate your visit and look forward to seeing you upon future visits. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I took my first trip to Durango to attend their film festival and one of the hotels on the list was the Rochester Hotel. After a LOT of hemming and hawing about which place might be able to 'deal with' me & my food issues, I finally settled on the Rochester Hotel. I cannot eat anything with wheat/gluten or dairy... oh, and I'm a vegetarian to boot! So I go in knowing I'm not easy & bring my necessities with me... gluten-free bread, rice milk, etc.

As it turns out, they HAD rice bread there, ready for me. After the initial discussion, every morning Caroline or Kelly saw me, they would say: "Tomorrow we're having french toast. We could do xyz to them to make them fit your needs. Would that work?" And they always made it work. So to start off, my main concern was addressed so wonderfully that I automatically loved this place. At one point I asked Caroline & Kelly if they owned the place (because it REALLY seemed like they did). Nope. They didn't. I was told the gentleman who was constantly milling around the breakfast area owned the hotel with his mother. When I eventually started chatting with this lovely woman named Diane, I learned that she was 'the mother.' She told me about all the love she put into renovating the hotel and (now here's the real review)... I thought the hotel had great character, and was clean & comfortable. The room I stayed in was quite large as well.

My experience here required this long a review. The hotel, in & of itself, was wonderful. Breakfast was AMAZING. And the reception people (who always smiled & said hello when you walked by) were extremely helpful (thanks especially to Chris!).

If I get back to Durango, this is the only place I'll want to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
komick, Manager at The Rochester Hotel and Leland House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Thank you for your visit to Durango and for staying with us at the Leland House and Rochester Hotel. We look forward to your return visits. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance from Durango.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel is full of old world charm. What a wonderful night at the Rochester. Close to downtown Durango and an amazing resteraunt across the street. Our room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was amazing even offering gluten free bread. The staff is friendly and inviting. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 March 2012

All of the staff, but particularly the breakfast staff, was friendly, helpful and attentive. The food was excellent (a different hot entree every day), as well as fresh fruit , pastries, granola and cereal. The pancakes were the best I've ever had. The intimate bar is a great place to visit with friends. Location is one block from downtown, and there are good restaurants right across the street. Wifi reception was excellent. We will definitely stay at the Rochester on our next trip to Durango.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main part of the building were much more appealing. Our room on the courtyard was quiet in February, but might be a bit noisy in the summer.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family