“The Hotel that Love Restored”

The Leland House and Rochester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Friendswood, Texas
“The Hotel that Love Restored”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was referred to this hotel by a friend. While it is a boutique hotel it has the feel of an itimate bed an breakfast. My room was very clean, well appointed and everything worked perfectly. All the amenities were first class. From the time I checked in I was greeted with warmth and humility. The entire staff understood the art of service and warmth which could only spring forth from the heart of loving owners. The breakfast, which was included, was perfect with great coffee. I could tast the love in the food. There was more than enough staff to take care of any need.

I met the owners and their son. They were grace filled hoteliers who truly made me feel at home. They spent time to get to know me and help me feel at home.

The garden was manicured and a great place to have breakfast or visit with newly acquired friends. Somehow I clicked on swimming pool and can't remove that...so even though there is no swimming pool the hotel is only 1 block away from the Diamond Belle Restaurant which has the finest music in town on Sunday nights...The Blue Moon Ramblers....amazing band!

If you travel a lot like I do then you know the difference that the warm and welcoming environment can contriubute to the experience of exploring a new location. I highly recommend the Rochester to warm and loving travelers. You will meet like minded easily acquired friendships here.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 107...it is set up to host guests with dogs and is located right on the garden.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashley S, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We do put service and our guest needs first, and are so happy that you had a wonderful experience at the Rochester. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Bentonville, Arkansas, USA
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Visited Durango, with my son, in April to attend the Fort Lewis College Parents preview weekend-stayed three nights at the hotel.

This was our first visit to Durango.

Prior to booking the room, I used Tripadvisor to find a room near the historic downtown area and not too far from the College.

From the time we were greeted until the time we left, we felt very welcomed by the entire staff. The room was spacious and accomodating. The breakfasts were simply incredible!

This property is very well located-within walking distance of dining, shopping, restaurants, & the
Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage Railway Museum.

Thank you to Ashley - she was an excellent host. The morning we left-a "to go" breakfast was prepared for our 6:00 a.m. departure. Very thoughtful & tasty!

My son will be a Skyhawk this fall & I will plan on staying with this Hotel in the future when I visit Durango.

Can highly recommend the property.

Tor

Room Tip: Call ahead to discuss hotel accomdations...they can assist you in room selection. We stayed in a fi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We loved having you stay with us and look forward to seeing you for FLC move in day!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

my durango hosts arranged for and paid for this lodging. they have done this annually for almost a decade. i am blessed that they choose to accomodate me at ther rochester rather than one of the many ordinary motels. the rooms are larger, the complementary breakfasts are cooked to order and the wait staff are most congenial. the atrater and general palmer come close, but the rochester, being smaller, provides more individual attention. yes it is expensive, but i would (if not travelling on business) would feel the value provided was well worth the expense.

• Stayed May 2014
Ashley S, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We enjoy having you stay with us and hope to see you again soon!
Trinidad, Colorado
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I recently stayed here for only one night, since there was a wine festival going on in town. The place is expensive, I paid 140$ for one night for one of the more economical rooms, but the interior decor of the hotel was quite impressive.

The old looking, red brick and wood hotel was a literal shrine to the Western movie genre and especially to the cinema work of John Wayne. My room was filled with glass encased movie posters and there were even old western novels on one of the room's shelves. In the afternoons, the staff leave out homemade cookies and a homemade chocolate powder drink for the guests in the dining area. The stuff was delicious. I had to keep myself away in order to save for my usual Durango dinner and beer tasting, down the street at Steamworks. The hotel is centrally located to all of the happening stuff going on Main St. There is also a nice looking patio area for guests that like to eat outside.

The rooms were quite large and they were super clean. I did not find one dirty spot area, or hanging hair on the bed, on the carpet, or in the bathroom. My room had two queen beds that were incredibly comfortable. The TV worked just fine, and the bathroom came equipped with nice towels, natural soaps and lots of tissue and toilet paper. The overhead fan worked perfectly and the window shades left full privacy. This was definitely a luxury hotel room in the western style. I also noticed that a few of the wine speakers-experts were also staying at this hotel. On the day I left, one of the wine talks was even held at the hotel.

For breakfast the next morning, again, the dining area was clean and well attended to. I met the nice staff downstairs, and they directed me to the foods sitting on the counter. There was lots of fruit and homemade muffins and scones. I grabbed a plate and then fed on the fresh fruit and delicious homemade breakfast items. The friendly staff then served me good coffee, fresh milk and fresh orange juice. I placed my order for the breakfast meal that day, which was french toast with butter, syrup and fruit. When I dug into the french toast dish, it was absolutely delicious. They know how to cook up fine breakfasts. The breakfasts was so filling and tasty that I was full after only a half an hour of eating.

Durango, once a mining town, then a college town for natives, later a winter and summer sports place, also a city near to the Mesa Verde ruins, has transformed itself into a successful, expensive tourism mecca in southwest Colorado.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ashley S, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We hope to see you again soon.
Austin
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed at the Rochester for five days last week, which is a long time to stay in one hotel. But it felt so much like home that I hated to leave! The rooms are large, charming, clean, and delightful--each room has a movie "theme" via posters that is fun without being kitschy. The service is fantastic; they seem to show genuine concern for your comfort that goes beyond "just business." The personal, cooked breakfast (vegetarian and delightful), on real plates, puts the place in a class far beyond the same tired styrofoam "breakfast bars" you find at the chains. The fact that they serve tea cookies each afternoon and provide their own house-brand glycerin soap just adds to the luster of this sweet little place. Last but not least, the price is quite reasonable for what you get.

Room Tip: The rooms immediately next to the dining area can be a little noisy during happy hour.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Rochester. We really enjoyed having you stay with us, and look forward to seeing you in the future!
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our daughter is a student at FLC, luckily just a Freshman, so we will get to stay with the Rochester / Leland House folks for at least three years for several times a year! The very cool atmosphere in the hotel, a perfect pairing of modern convenience and nostalgia, is very welcoming! The breakfast is fabulous, the staff friendly, the loaner bikes sweet... Best place in town! Oh, and the homemade cocoa & afternoon cookies... Awesome place to be!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We look forward to having you stay with us over the next few years. Good luck to your daughter at FLC!
santa barbara, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at the Rochester after I did some searching for historic hotels in town. This place is off the main drag but well within walking distance of everything. The staff was great! We had a great stay as my son is thinking of going to Fort Lewis College. The breakfast was great and the coffee even better. The only draw back was the dogger pc for hotel use but hey, who uses the hotel pc with smartphones now. Oh I got a thank you note at home a few days later... nice follow up!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ashley S, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We enjoyed having you here. Yes, few people use the hotel computer. However, it should always work for our guests. We are in the process of doing some updates and fixing it up. We hope your son chooses FLC and that we see you again soon. Don't forget that we give a 15% discount to FLC families!