“Not many amenities for an expensive place.”

Rochester Hotel & Bar
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Spokane, Washington
“Not many amenities for an expensive place.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

After reading reviews I thought this is a great place to splurge on our trip (I'm no trust funder & this is expensive to me). I have to say that for $250 a night I was really disappointed. What did I expect? I don't know, maybe plush amenities, spa products & complementary wine in a cool room. Anyway, to me it was an average stay & the chain hotel we stayed at the night before was better for $100 less. I guess I need a greater appreciation for historic renovations. I agree that the building was done nicely. The amenities were lacking.The room we had was sparsely decorated but nice. We had only one working outlet to plug into by the sink. There were only 2 bath towels leaving a hand towel to wrap my washed hair. There was nice lotion though. The gap in the door frame inhibited privacy. Parking in the alley behind the building seemed sketchy. The owners were friendly and I gathered from looking at other folks there that this is a hotel for upscale clientele who don't care about the cost (they were hanging out at the bar ordering top shelf like there's no tomorrow), not average people.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Laurie5330
Ashley S, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are so very sorry that we did not meet your expectations! We are very proud of our hotel and strive to delivery a one of a kind experience. We did not deliver that experience to you, and for that, we apologize.

Will you please email me (ashley@rochesterhotel.com) with your room number? We will fix the issues in that room so as not to upset future guests. Again, thank you for taking the time to review the Rochester Hotel & Bar.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Geddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This has to be one of the most interesting places to stay in Durango, and the breakfast was by far the best we had on our whole trip across the US. The hotel was built in 1892 and it is immaculately decorated throughout. The rooms and hallways are decorated with movie posters of some of the western movies filmed in and around town, and in the hallways these are displayed in frames decorated in marquee lights. We stayed in the “Night Passage” room, with posters of the 1957 Western staring James Stewart and Audie Murphy...and the TV “table”, a stack of old suitcases, was inspired.
For breakfast, as well as the usual juices and cereals, the owners do a special hot entree each day and, on the day we were there it was French toast topped with raspberries with real maple syrup to pour over...it was superb and one of the best breakfasts we have had in any hotel anywhere at all. (I can still remember tasting that first mouthful now...oh for another portion!).

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms in the main building are quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley S, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are very proud of our breakfasts and so happy that you enjoyed the French toast. Please come back to see us again!
Burkburnett, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The other rooms we saw had much larger TVs and had chairs. Water pressure in the shower is horrible and you get constant ice cold or scalding hot blast during your shower. Other than that no complaints. Its right in the middle of everything so walking to places is easy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Crystal T
Ashley S, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us! The Rochester is an older building, and with that age does come occasional spikes in water pressure and temperature. We are so sorry that you had to deal with it. We enjoyed having your group stay with us, and we hope to see you in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Lovely spacious rooms each tied to its own Western movie, excellent continental breakfast with a different hot dish optional every day. Helpful friendly staff. One block from historic Main Street and a few minutes from the Durango - Silverton Railroad, and from the nicest restaurants. Only possible drawback for some people - no elevator to second floor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We understand the lack of an elevator can be a bit difficult. However, we are always happy to help our guests carry a load up or down the stairs.
Taveuni Island, Fiji
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were in Durango for our grand niece's graduation. We wanted something homey & sweet with the western feel.Family who live in Durango recommended the Rochester & we have thanked them.

The hotel is lovely with a warm & welcome feeling. The room had a beautiful quilted bed cover & great mattress.

The breakfast will not win any awards BUT the always available homemade cookies trumped the breakfast (is it legal to eat cookies for dinner as your main course??)

We would stay here again, and would recommend to friends.

Glad we chose this spot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ashley S, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rochester Hotel! We enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Friendswood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was referred to this hotel by a friend. While it is a boutique hotel it has the feel of an itimate bed an breakfast. My room was very clean, well appointed and everything worked perfectly. All the amenities were first class. From the time I checked in I was greeted with warmth and humility. The entire staff understood the art of service and warmth which could only spring forth from the heart of loving owners. The breakfast, which was included, was perfect with great coffee. I could tast the love in the food. There was more than enough staff to take care of any need.

I met the owners and their son. They were grace filled hoteliers who truly made me feel at home. They spent time to get to know me and help me feel at home.

The garden was manicured and a great place to have breakfast or visit with newly acquired friends. Somehow I clicked on swimming pool and can't remove that...so even though there is no swimming pool the hotel is only 1 block away from the Diamond Belle Restaurant which has the finest music in town on Sunday nights...The Blue Moon Ramblers....amazing band!

If you travel a lot like I do then you know the difference that the warm and welcoming environment can contriubute to the experience of exploring a new location. I highly recommend the Rochester to warm and loving travelers. You will meet like minded easily acquired friendships here.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 107...it is set up to host guests with dogs and is located right on the garden.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashley S, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We do put service and our guest needs first, and are so happy that you had a wonderful experience at the Rochester. We hope to see you again soon!
Bentonville, Arkansas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Visited Durango, with my son, in April to attend the Fort Lewis College Parents preview weekend-stayed three nights at the hotel.

This was our first visit to Durango.

Prior to booking the room, I used Tripadvisor to find a room near the historic downtown area and not too far from the College.

From the time we were greeted until the time we left, we felt very welcomed by the entire staff. The room was spacious and accomodating. The breakfasts were simply incredible!

This property is very well located-within walking distance of dining, shopping, restaurants, & the
Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage Railway Museum.

Thank you to Ashley - she was an excellent host. The morning we left-a "to go" breakfast was prepared for our 6:00 a.m. departure. Very thoughtful & tasty!

My son will be a Skyhawk this fall & I will plan on staying with this Hotel in the future when I visit Durango.

Can highly recommend the property.

Tor

Room Tip: Call ahead to discuss hotel accomdations...they can assist you in room selection. We stayed in a fi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We loved having you stay with us and look forward to seeing you for FLC move in day!