“NEVER STAY HERE!!!”

Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Albuquerque
“NEVER STAY HERE!!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked a 2 room suite with 2 queen beds. Well I called to stay we would be late and was told they put me in a king room with a fold out couch because there was no available suites. This was not acceptable to me as I had four adults and 2 kids. Apparently the Best Western website and their booking information is different. "They don't always know what we have available" is what I was told. So the only other thing available was a smoking room with two queens. I was told there is hardly smokers that stay there. Not true. The room smelled horrible as soon as I walked into it and there was smoking going on all night around us. It was horrible. The room was very small and dirty as there was even a spider with a web behind the toilet. The air conditioner didn't work very well and smelled bad. It was extremely hot in our room. The shower head was mounted off center and sprayed the wall with a shower head that couldn't be moved. The toilet seat was mounted off center, moved around and the toilet barely flushed. The tub floor slanted and no mat. Pool was dirty and no towels available there. WiFi completely useless. After arriving late, we were put on a ground floor room and at 7:00am there were people talking very loud outside our room for a good 30 minutes and then got on their motorcycles, let them sit and warm up while reving their engines before taking off. There was no sign to put on the outside door with a "DO NOT DISTURB", so at 9:00am the maid staff was already trying to come in our room and again at 10:00am and checkout wasn't until 11:00am. I was told that they would try to move us the next day, but didn't bother calling to let us know. In the meantime, I booked another hotel and checked out. Upon checkout I was told that they had moved us to another room. I was never even asked why I was checking out early. Staff had a so so attitude. They did charge a little less for the room, but it wasn't even worth it. I would never ever recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. I have stayed at plenty of Best Westerns and this is one of the worst ones ever.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
goosealina, Manager at Best Western Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Yikes...you had a miserable stay. There are so many things that I am embarrassed about. There is no reason we were not able to get you into the room you reserved except I feel personally responsible for not having trained the staff to fix this issue . There is a system to do that and I did a poor job of making sure everyone is aware. Shame on me.And to have a smoking room, in and of itself, is, well, not pleasant for a non-smoker, at all. I was surprised to hear there was a spider web and that you felt the room was not clean. I am sorry. We are well known and recognized for our cleanliness. I am not sure what happened here. I was aware that you were going to be moved and am sorry we did not have the opportunity to do so. I did not want to disturb you until you were ready, although it sounds like you were disturbed anyways; another major bummer. Not sure there is anything I can do but extend our sincerest apologies. We definitely dropped the ball. Please come see us again. Email me direct at duranoinnandsuites@hotmail.com and I will be happy to take care of you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in a pet-friendly, 2 room suite on the ground floor. Dustin and all of the front office staff were terrific! They recommended a great dog park by the river! Yes, the room and furniture is older, but we found the rooms large (including the bathroom,) clean, and the substantial pine furniture was comfortable, especially, the bed. Having a back door was very convenient for our pet. The grounds are spacious and well-maintained, with creek and mountain views.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are great for people with pets because of the additional back door.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your input and review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you appreciate our care and attention to detail. Hoping to see you again in the future and again, thank you for your time to submit a review.
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had booked this hotel for the duration of our stay in Durango because it advertised a family suite containing four beds at a great price. Apparently you truly do get what you pay for! When we arrived, we were pleased to find that the suite consisted of 3 separate rooms and a bathroom with 2 air conditioning units. However, upon arriving back to our hotel suite on the 2nd day, we noticed that the rooms felt warm and the carpet was wet under one of the air conditioner units. We called the front desk and the manager came to our room, brought us a towel for the leaky unit and said that it did feel warm in our rooms. He said that he would get some fans for us to use for the night to help with the heat issue. He only brought one fan but because the front unit was still blowing cold air even though it was leaking, we were fine for the night. We were assured that maintenance would take care of the problem the next day. When we arrived back the next day, the rooms were hotter than before. We called the front desk and the maintenance person came to the rooms. He cleared a clogged pipe in the front unit and briefly put hand over the 2nd unit and said it felt cold to him. We told him that the unit would only blow cold for about 3 minutes, then start to blow hot air until it was turned off and allowed to sit for several minutes. He said that there was nothing he could do and left. The rooms continued to get hotter due to the fact that the front unit then stopped working also. We went to see the manager who came to the rooms, was very rude and began yelling at us saying that the reason the rooms were hot is because we were in them! He told us to open all of the windows and doors for ventilation because according to him "This is Durango and there is no crime here!" He continued to yell and say that there was nothing he could do and we would just "have to deal with the heat!" We asked to speak to his boss and he said that he was out of town so there was nothing we could do and left! We noticed that none of the other units in the entire hotel had their windows and doors opened so obviously this issue was limited to our suite of rooms. Needless to say, we left the next day and booked another hotel!!! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and agree that in this case you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay at any other hotel but this one and you should have a better experience!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
goosealina, Manager at Best Western Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Yikes! This sounds like an awful stay. We are so sorry. It sounds like we were trying to fix the problem and were unsuccessful in doing so but most disturbing is your final treatment. This is unacceptable. Under no circumstances is that acceptable. The gentleman who assisted you is normally one of our most celebrated customer service agents and I am shocked at his behavior. Again, I apologize. Although I do see an adjustment to your bill, I would personally find that unacceptable. Please email me at durangoinnandsuites@hotmail.com and I would be happy to chat further. Again, my apologies. Thank you so much for your review.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The room was mostly fine, with comfortable beds and very quiet even though close to the highway. Very strange tub/shower and the toilet seat mounted off center. Tub floor slanted and no mat.
Pool was dirty and no towels available there. WiFi completely useless. Breakfast was average. Staff was so so in attitude.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
So sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay as we would have liked you to. We appreciate your feedback and will look into your specific comments. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sincerely hope you will give us a try again in the future. Thank you so much.
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 25 July 2014

While not walking distance to downtown Durango, this hotel is in a nice peaceful setting. The room was extremely comfortable and almost seemed more like an apartment than a hotel room. The lobby and breakfast area are beautiful and spacious. The rate was higher than we wanted to pay but compared well to other motels in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

goosealina, Manager at Best Western Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you had a nice stay and enjoyed our 56 beautiful acres and serenity of the area. We are glad. Durango is indeed a resort market that thrives only a few months of the year and we take great pains in making sure we are priced according to our price value. Thank you for being a savy shopper! We hope to see you again soon and a million thanks for choosing us!
Gunnison, Utah
Reviewed 25 July 2014

One of the best customer service experiences I have ever had. Dustin at the front desk helped me in a tight situation to have a very positive and rewarding stay at this property. This was my second stay and I will stay again. I hesitate recommending it because I had a hard enough time getting a room the night I wanted, but I waited too long not realizing how popular this place is!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We receive so many positive comments on Dustin. We know we are so lucky to have him on board. Thank you for recognizing him. He is a gem commited to customer service that is so hard to find. We are glad you had a terrific stay. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for being our guest.
Columbus, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I do not prefer Motels to stay because I find them noisy, but the price was to good to turn down for this area. The staff gives you the impression the care about your stay. My room was clean and comfy for our overnight stay and very quiet!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your time in submitting a review. We are grateful. Indeed, our staff does care about you as our guest. We will share your feedback with them. We hope to see you again soon.