“Room cramped, strange air conditioner.”

Quality Inn Durango
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Yorkshire
“Room cramped, strange air conditioner.”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Very friendly desk staff made us feel welcome. The room was a disappointment, being quite cramped with a bedside table only on one side. The A/C unit is mounted at the back of the room next to the bathroom and was very inefficient, thankfully it wasn't too hot during our stay, I suspect it would struggle to keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
The breakfast room is upstairs and rather cramped, the staff seemed to struggle to keep the food supplies topped up, but it was of good quality and no real complaint there.
The free trolley into town stops very close by both ways and is very useful for a trip into the centre of Durango.
We stayed three nights, room service was good and we were reasonably satisfied.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Colorado
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Room had very comfortable pillow top bed and bedding, plush towels and blackout curtains all made for a good nights sleep. But, complimentary breakfast was served on 2nd floor above office and double hot tubs were in basement area - so lots of steps to extras. Plenty of hot & cold breakfast items and still lots of food even 15 minutes before closing at 9am. Outdoor pool not very warm. Outside of hotel was older and dated but rooms seemed updated. Walgreens just down the street a couple of blocks on the left.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
MidWest
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Got a reservation several months ahead on Choicehotels site for a room for $101. I had originally picked a king bed room, but they asked me if I was willing to move to a 2 queen room due to a minor logistical issue on their end, and I agreed.

Check in was easy and the girl up front was friendly. The property seemed clean and although space was tight, it wasn't too bad. It would be very difficult to negotiate the parking lot if you have a big RV or tow a trailer though. They have 3 buildings on the property. Although cramped with lots of activity, the parking lot seemed secure, which is a big deal for me. I wasn't particularly worried about my car getting broken into.

The room I had was decent enough size, although an associate had a room with a king bed, and he told me his room was small and cramped. Based on that and previous reviews, if room size is an issue, you might consider getting a two bed room vs. a one bed room if there's not a big price difference and you can handle a queen bed vs. a king. The room had a fridge and microwave, and was generally clean, with modest furniture. Nothing too run down about it, especially given the fact that the property seemed to be pretty old. In my room, the A/C was in a rather odd location. Most A/C units in hotels like these are down near the floor near the front door of the room, but mine was in the back of the room, mounted up relatively high, and ajacent to the bathroom area. Due to a wall between the bathrooom and the bedroom/open area, the A/C was kind of around the corner, and this caused the air flow to be a bit unbalanced. Since the time of year I was there wasn't terribly hot yet, it wasn't a big issue, but I think it could be if it was a very hot time of year. The A/C was also louder than most, although it wasn't horribly bothersome. The room was otherwise quiet though, as long as you can accept the fan noise. Although the hotel is right up against a heavily travelled Hwy 550, the hotel is tucked in there where it doesn't seem road noise would be a major issue. Again though, the A/C noise would have drowned out any street noise anyway.

They had a decent size flat screen TV with a good lineup of channels. The wi-fi internet connection was good, and the speed was good. Better than most hotels I stay at.

The shower was good, with a waterpik head. The head height was a bit lower than I like, and although I am not taller than average, I had to bend down a bit to get under the shower head. This could be an issue with taller folks.

The bed I slept in was clean and with adequate bedding, although my mattress seemed to be a bit old and slanted to the point where it was umcomfortable at times. Might be time to invest in some new mattresses.

Although I didn't use the pool, it appeared to be clean and inviting, and there were several folks swimming there during the evening.

The breakfast was decent enough, with a good selection, although seemingly due to a lack of space, they built the breakfast room upstairs above the office. This is odd, as I have never had to climb a flight of stairs to get to the breakfast room. I don't believe it's possible for a handicapped person in a wheelchair to access the breakfast room though. The room was also very hot, to the point where I chose not to eat there. They should have had an A/C going in there instead of having the windows open. I walked in there and grabbed a coffee and a bagel and got out of there because it was stifling hot. I was sweating after just a few moments in there. This was a pretty significant negative for me.

I had to go to the front counter to get my receipt when I left, as they don't have an express checkout (receipt under the door) like most hotels do nowadays. I would recommend they do this if they can, because it's a big convenience factor for checkout. I nearly forgot to get my receipt as I am so used to them being put under the door. Regardless, checkout was pretty painless and fast.

There is a free trolley bus stop (pickup every 20 min.) relatively close across and just down the street at the Dairy Queen, so you can jump on the bus and head downtown to shop/eat/drink, etc. This is a nice feature if you drink, and don't want to worry about driving or finding a place to park downtown.

Overall, I would say my experience at this hotel was good, and I would rate it average to above average for this class and age of a hotel. The other two business associates of mine who stayed at the hotel had no complaints. I would definitely recommend it, especially given the very high hotel prices in Durango. Other than a few minor inconveniences mentioned above, there wasn't anything about my stay that would be a deal killer if I was to return.

Room Tip: Get a two queen room instead of a one king room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BigMountainTraveler
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The last couple of times I was in Durango I stayed at the Comfort Inn on the south end of town. I chose this hotel because it was a little cheaper and because I've always had good experiences with the Quality Inn brand. I won't be staying here again.

When I booked the room, I thought that it would be more spacious and come with a flat-screen TV (according to pictures on the hotel website). When I walked in, I felt like I was in a Motel 6 room because it was so small, and it didn't have a flat screen TV. It would be impossible for two people to be comfortable in the room I was in. There was no sofa or free-standing chair. All I had were a pair of desk chairs that were tough to get comfortable in.

The facility was clean, the high speed internet access was great and the breakfast was pretty good, I was just really disappointed with my room.

Room Tip: Book a room that comes with 2 queen-sized beds.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank zcr57
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Nice: the coupon book led us to a real winner of a hotel this time. We were greeted at the counter by Mary who was super friendly and a big fan of dogs. She even liked Mr. Pish on Facebook! (facebook.com/MrPish)

Our room was spacious, super clean and comfortable. Again, there were no bed bugs. The high-speed internet worked great, even though we were two buildings away from the office. Tasty in-room coffee and a free continental breakfast the next morning made for a nice way to start the day.

Friendly staff, a nice room and a great price makes the Quality Inn Durango a sure bet if we’re ever back in that area!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Great hotel for the price right on the main drag in Durango. Looks like it was recently remodeled, very clean. Good breakfast with all the usual stuff including waffles and gravy and biscuits. Very surprised to see a HDTV in a low budget hotel. Only disappointment was no internet access, not even a PC in the lobby for guest use.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Qaanaaq, Greenland
Reviewed 13 December 2010

The woman who worked there was about as sweet as they get. I had an issue with my issue-laden gift card, and she let me stay the night and worry about the costs the following day. The room was extremely comfortable and the wi-fi connection was flawless. I awoke to a hot shower, large breakfast provided by them, and the issue of cost was settled shortly after. Bedbugs? I don't think so. I can't think of anything else that could have improved my experience. Immaculately kept, genuinely good people behind the front desk... the complaints I'm reading are difficult to fathom and I am sure most, particularly the "bedbugs" and the "pet-unfriendly" (which was apparently settled monetarily; how could one keep attacking after that?) ones. Highly recommended and I'll happily stay here again the next time I'm in town. Mr. Medina, thanks again for everything, to you and to H. as well. The checked boxes below (under "Tell other travelers...") are solely mine and reflect my own unique sense of aesthetics.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo