“Dirty, old and overpriced”

Durango Downtown Inn
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Yuck - rooms are small and completely overpriced. Beds are doubles not even queen sized, no soap or shampoo, and towels the size of hand towels. Bathrooms have no fans and the temperatures are freezing or off, The pool is terrible and noise horrible. GO ELSEWHERE!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Durango Downtown Inn

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Tis was the worst hotel experience we have ever had,and we've stayed in ALOT of hotels.The room itself was ok.One night we were awakened at 12:30 by a group of very loud,drunk partying kids.After 2 hours of listening to this I stuck my head out the door to yell at them.The night clerk was standing there and I asked if she had called the police.She was not all that careing or concerned or apologetic.All of this went on until 6:00 in the morning.The front desk offered a 10 percent discount for our trouble,big deal!We also had a really rude maid.Will not return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hermie54
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I have stayed at this inn twice before and had a decent but not especially great stay. Just another OK inn with nice people working there. This time however I was stunned at my bad experience. I drove there alone from Colorado Springs on business, 6 hours away on a Thursday. First, when I checked in with no advance reservation I was politely but firmly told that since I was getting the last room in the inn they would not honor either my AAA or my AARP card. I said that I did not believe that was ethical and she replied that's the rule. Then when I walked into my NON smoking room I was greeted with a very strong cigarette smoke smell as if it was a smoking room. My sinuses swelled up during my sleep and I never got any rest. So I paid $205 for a terrible room. It was (besides the smoke smell) clean and the bathroom and flat screen satellite TV was very nice, but it stunk bad. When I checked out in the morning I calmly told both front desk employees (in response to their question of how was my stay) about the bad smoke smell in the non smoking room and how it had affected my sinuses. One replied verbatim; "It was probably from an employee taking a smoke break." The other employee politely just quietly said: "Sorry". They offered no accommodation for the misrepresented room and my resulting swelled sinuses. The employees were all very polite and the room was well appointed as if it was recently upgraded. I wish I could have had a better experience. My work now takes me to Durango about every six weeks. I will not be staying here again nor can I recommend it when I cannot expect a consistently good experience.I can live with mistakes and not complain because I make them. But the lack of honoring my AAA and AARP cards was purposeful and the smoke intentional by the smoker This is the first bad review I have ever posted.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are away from the traffic and quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank KipColorado
Reviewed 14 July 2012

As a previous reviewer has said, Durango is generally overpriced for lodging. Having said that, I've stayed in multiple hotels/motels here over the years and I would recommend the Downtown Durango Inn as a good choice.. It is basically a clean "Holiday Inn/Comfort Inn" type hotel within walking distance of downtown Durango - the restaurants, bars, and the Durango/Silverton train station.

We had a room which faced the river, which is the most desirable for peace and quiet as it does not face the street.

In general, this hotel is not spectacular, but it does offer a friendly staff, a clean room, and a great location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We chose this hotel for its location - right along the River and within walking distance of town. Our room was fine. Most of the hotels in Durango seem overpriced (including this one). The place was clean and the staff was cordial (but not overly friendly). No complaints.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The main reason to come to Durango was the “Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad”, so we looked for a hotel within walking distance from the train station because what we did was to arrive to Durango from New Mexico, leave our luggage at the hotel, drive immediately all the way up to Silverton, leave the car there, catch the afternoon train back to Durango, sleep in Durango, take the morning train up to Silverton, pick up our car there and continue our journey towards Ouray and further north. That’s why we wanted to sleep as close to the train station as possible and, fortunately, we found an available room at the Durango Downtown Inn.

As the name says, it is located in downtown Durango, just 15 minutes (or less) away on foot from the train station (but bear in mind that it's not at all an old historic building). On its western side, the hotel faces the Animas River (the rooms on this side are quieter than on the other), while on the east side there is the hotel’s street, Camino del Rio, which is pretty busy during the day (much less at night).
The price didn’t include breakfast but there is an Appelbees restaurant which serves good food at good prices just attached to the hotel. However, if you want to check other dining options, you just need to walk two blocks from the hotel to be in Durango’s main avenue.

The room we had (I’m uploading 2 pictures) was nice, spacious enough and very clean, and it had two comfortable queen beds, a couple of chairs, a table and air conditioning.
Additionally the hotel has an indoor pool, a fitness room and a guest computer in the lobby. The staff was nice, friendly and helpful, specially Jolie. Therefore we can recommend this place and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel was clean and nice. I would stay there again. The only bad thing I would say is that the pool is only 4ft deep and the pool and hot tub had way too many chemicals. My facial skin and eyes were burning. The location is great and the rooms are modern.

• Stayed: June 2012