“Excellent staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pleasant Valley, New York
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

During our trip out west this Spring, we stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Durango, CO. Because there was nearby construction, it was initially a little difficult to find the actual hotel. However, once we did find it, it was very enjoyable, The room was comfortable and the complementary breakfast was tasty and filling. What stands out for me, however, was the staff. They were, without a doubt, just about the friendliest and most accommodating people I have ever met. Whoever was behind the front desk always had a smile and a cheery word to say...no matter how often you went past them. They were helpful and never seemed as though they were too busy to talk. No matter who was checking in or out or who had a question, the staff gave that person 100% of their attention and never rushed anyone. I had a bit of a problem with the laundry room (my fault not theirs) and they answered my subsequent questions with the same politeness that they answered my first. The staff who maintain the breakfast area never let anything run out and they were always present....filing the coffee pot or food stations or setting out additional plates and utensils. The two women who worked in the breakfast area never stood still and yet were never intrusive. What especially stands out in my mind was that one chilly night, the woman behind the desk set out a kettle of chicken noodle soup and crackers. I have never seen anything like that before and that thoughtful touch warmed both the body and the soul.

Like I said, the only downside was the nearby construction. However on our first night there, a waitress at Denny's offered directions that circumvented the construction. That made a world of difference and we were never impacted again.

Definitely a great place to stay if you are in the Durango area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephen G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Socorro, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I have stayed here three times in as many years. Our room was clean and nice.

The breakfast was generally good but the powdered eggs could use some help. They now have an "on demand" coffee maker and the coffee was good.

The front desk was helpful and pleasant. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a really delightful Comfort Hotel. It has all that one would need for an overnight stay be it for business or pleasure. A good clean pool, a fine business room, size able breakfast area and modern clean rooms. It is located a few minutes outside of the town of Durango but that is not an inconvenience, in fact we found it during our two day stay to be a blessing,we could escape the noise from the youths that sought to show off ( or make fools of theirselves) by roaring loudly around town on their Harley's. They frightened young children and did little to assist the aged! The one blot on an otherwise first class experience was Sunday breakfast. The one member of staff on duty had the dirtiest apron on, it would not have been out of place in a coal mine. She also showed little or no interest in we the customers. A question "do the wraps have bacon " was greeted with I don't know and off she walked into the sunset with not a care in the world. This experience was so in contrast to the level of service on show on Saturday ( 17th May) when a young man and his older companion could not have been more efficient and keen on offering first class customer service. In general a great stop off when in the Durango area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MalmesburyDave
De Beque, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Was passing through on a business trip and this hotel was definitely better than what I stayed in in Farmington, NM and would be worth the drive from Durango to Farmington. It was great staying in a newer hotel with comfortable beds and pillows. The place has an inside pool and sauna which I didn't have time to enjoy. No complaints here for this hotel besides it being located away from downtown. So if you are looking for a night out on the town make sure you have a ride lined out ahead of time. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Chance W
Alaska
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel Friday and Saturday night. We were there for our daughters college graduation, along with many other guests I might add as the hotel was very busy. First of all in all fairness the hotel room was average, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ample, but still unprepared for the busy summer season as they kept running out of coffee, juices, waffle batter, etc. There was not enough room for seating for everyone in the morning. The swimming pool was not monitored so there were tons of kids jumping, splashing and running, even running in and out of the sauna. Probably not the responsibility if the hotel though.

After our stay and when we arrived in Phoenix we realized we left (3) three items in the closet in our room. We called an immediately the front desk person, Kate or Kristen, went to the room to check the clots was well as check housekeeping. Nothing. We called again the next day because they said that sometimes not all items get logged in if they are short staffed, again, nothing. I asked to speak to the GM. This is where my problem lies. He basically told me that he can not verify that we indeed left anything in the room and that they didn't find anything so I must be making it up because they do background checks on their maids and thy don't steal. Basically told me that it's problem and my own fault. Granted, it is my fault that I left the items in the closet, I also trust that any items of value and sentiment found by housekeeping would be returned in good faith to the owners. Unless they didn't clean the closet and they were taken by the next guest, which is also another possibility. The bottom line is the GM has a lot to learn about customer service and communication. I will never stay at this hotel again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends simply for the fact that the customer service leadership is sorely lacking. Again, like a post or two before me Kristen would be better suited for GM than the current GM as she definitely knows how to talk with people. I have to write off our items as gone.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank GolovinGirl
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have stayed at many Choice Hotels but this was a nice treat. Room was very comfortable and the breakfast was the best by far. Staff was friendly. We would stay here again if in the area. Hope you enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a great place to stay. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. Staff is very helpful and checking in and out was easy. The breakfast bar is well stocked for the whole breakfast time, with a lot of variety. The scrambled eggs, biscuits with gravy and sausage or bacon are kept nice and hot.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family