“Awesome Stay”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Florida
“Awesome Stay”
Reviewed 11 January 2008

Purgatory Village was simply awesome. I have snowboarded and skied in Europe, the US Northeast and all over Colorado and never have we felt as welcomed and taken care of as we did at Purgatory.
We are a family of 4 and this was the first time skiing for our kids, and my wife. The ski school staff for the kids were SUPERB! Matt Nimetz and his staff went beyond the call of duty in handling a meltdown by our son on the second day, and he ended up loving it. My daughter, who is a very shy person, was skiing at the end of day two and was so proud of herself. My wife also learned to ski in just a day and a half and loved the instructors on both days.....but especially Marge on day 2.
We stayed in the Blackbear Townhomes, and it felt like we were living in a Sundance catalog. The house, amenities, furnishings, fireplaces and the whole experience were top notch.
I recommend Purgatory and Durango Mountain Resort to anyone with a family. They really know how to make the whole experience a pleasure.

• Liked — Everything was perfect
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I had read alot of bad reivews on this hotel before we went, so I was a little nervous about staying there. However, we had an incredible time. We booked the room with the king size bed, hoping that it would be more comfortable than the reviews I read. However it was a standard hotel bed, and not particurally comfortable. The drains in the sink and jet bathtub were slow, but not horrible. The view was amazing, not to mention we were some of the only people in the hotel and had the rooftop jacuzzi all to ourselves to admire the stars. The sauna was nice, but electric, and had to warm up for about an hour. There was construction, but it did not bother us in any way. We could not even see it from our hotel room.

The staff was extremely nice and helpful in every way. One man stayed on the phone with me for 20 minutes before we arrived, telling me everything from where to shop and eat, to where provided the best horseback riding. When we arrived the woman at the desk wished us a happy anniversary, and even found us a corkscrew for the wine we had bought. I'm not sure how much they charge for the peak season since they are located RIGHT off of the slope lift, but it was an extremely good value for the offseason. It is a very nice hotel, but if you expect a superb hotel then you're probably better off staying at somewhere further down the mountain and driving up to the ski area.

• Liked — The views and privacy of the hotel
  • Disliked — How far it was from Durango, about 30 minutes.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovesToTravel2003
Plano
Reviewed 6 August 2007

When we went to check in, we found our room had been switched without notifying us in advance and the new room would not accomodate our family and a parent as previously requested. Our in-laws were also placed in a tiny room w/ 2 murphy beds leaving no room whatsoever in the room when the beds were pulled down. We called the manager on duty (Jeff) and were given no other options! His basic response was take it or leave it! We immediately left the premises after getting our money back and checked in to a Ramada Inn in town where we had a great experience! Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

• Liked — Nice room but didn't meet any of our needs!
  • Disliked — Worst customer service I've ever experienced!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank mewmmw
JFugit, Manager at Purgatory Village Condo Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2007
In response to the terrible experience the writer had with our property: prior to her arrival, we had upgraded this guest free of charge to a room much larger than she had orginally booked. She states that the room she received had two murphy beds but we have no rooms configured with two murphy beds. The room she received was a 1 bedroom condominium twice the square footage than she had reserved and paid for.
In addition, having been sold out that evening, we had no option to upgrade the family to another larger unit, which I would have happily done. We regret not having been able to accomodate this guest and we did refund all charges incurred by them as well as offer alternative options in the area which were flatly refused.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 20 May 2007

My wife and I vacationed in Durango with plans to also see Silverton & Ouray. Ski season was not yet upon us so we discovered that Purgatory Village is a great value during this time. We had a 1 bedroom condo with King size bed, fireplace, and full kitchen for a price less than the Econo Lodge in Durango. The only downside is there was nothing going on at the mountain and the drive into Durango took about 20 mintes. Hower, it felt as if we were the only ones staying there as we rarely saw or heard any other visitors. We also had the roof top hot tub & sauna all to ourselves every night. I would advise you to stop in town to purchase a few groceries before
heading up the mountain.

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank Atlaw4u
New Orleans
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Great location right on the slopes. It was not quite ski-in/out, but it wasn't far from it. Because the condos are other's vacation homes, the place had all the comforts of home-only trimmed down a little bit. The kitchenette and fireplace were a nice bonus too.

• Liked — proximity to slopes
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Kentucky
Reviewed 11 March 2007

I have been skiing at Purgatory since the late 80's and this year was, by far, the best. With a 60" base, I skied every run I wanted to with no problems. As far as accommodations, I have stayed everywhere from in town to mid-mountain to slopeside. For those wanting nightlife, stay in town. Except for the Creekside restaurant, the village pretty much shuts down after 5 or 6 on weeknights and 8 on weekends. I'm not much into late night partying so I prefer to stay at Purgatory Village Hotel (PVCH). You just can't beat ski in-ski out accommodations. I have stayed in both one bedroom condos and studio deluxe rooms at PVCH. Both offer kitchens and, in my case, balconies overlooking the slopes. The studio deluxe rooms do not have a separate bedroom. They offer sleeper sofas and murphy beds. For two people, it offers plenty of room and saves some $$$ over the one bedroom condos. PVCH is dated but my rooms have always been clean and fresh. This year, the studio deluxe rooms were booked so I reserved a one bedroom condo through a travel agent . Apparently, there was an issue with our reservation (still don't know what happened and don't care). Not a problem. The front desk staff immediately found us a condo and corrected the situation. My sister and I stayed in an incredible room. The condo offered a full size kitchen, huge dining room and living area, fireplace, big bedroom and bath with an enclosed shower (no tub). The best part.....2 balconies overlooking Purgy's and the slopes! One of the first things we noticed this year was the friendliness of everyone (hotel staff, lift line operators, restaurant staff and gift shop owners). It's amazing what a "please", "thank-you" and a smile can do. Regarding food....excellent restaurants! Two of our favorites are Sow's Ear (1 mile south of PVCH at Silver Pick) and Ken and Sue's (on Main Street in Durango). For less expensive meals, try Francisco's in town. I know not every vacation runs smoothly for all travelers. I have had issues myself while staying in Durango. Personally, I correct what I can and live with what I cannot change. As long as the issue is not life-threatening, I refuse to let it ruin my trip. Purgatory Village is in the process of undergoing a huge renovation and looks to be an incredible resort when the work is done. At this time, it is still a great value for slopeside lodging and Durango mountain is a great place for skiing!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank KYSlacker
Houston
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Issues with our stay. Our first issue started almost immediately. The smaller room next to us had a heavy smoker in it (against the law) and we could smell his horrible smoke in our room. We complained 3 times and nothing was done. Sleeping was difficult breathing smoke all night. That leads to the second issue we had, we got in late from dinner one night and realized that there was no mattress on the sleeper sofa. One of the couples had to sleep on the floor and breath smoke even worse. The management gave us sorry excuses about it and said "well it doesnt have a mattress, these are individually owned" Sorry! It wasnt until we ran into the great maintenance man from Mexico City. We asked him about it and our problem was solved within the next hour. May not sound like a big deal but try sleeping on the floor after a day of skiing and you can barely walk the next day. Overall room was totally 80's but alright. Bring your own firewood because ours was wet and wouldnt light. Hopefully your stay will be better than ours, next year we're somewhere else!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room, Pool, Service, Atomosphere, Internet connection was bad
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple