“Good for our purpose”

Pentlands Backpackers Hostel
Pentlands Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Eden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Stayed in a double room for 4nights whilst watching a RWC England group game. Location for eden park was fab - 5min walk. About 15min bus ride to town. Tess on reception was great. Really helpful and didn't get annoyed if u asked loads of qs. Hostel had a good atmosphere over the rugby - lots of banter between fans. Very big living area with big tv and lots of sofas. Good sized kitchen that is kept clean. Bathrooms also well sized and clean. Room was on the small size - not that much room for luggage. And our room was freezing at night. This could be bcos two of the rooms walls were windowed (think it was room 1). There was a small electric heater but it was still icy cold. I usually get hot at night but had to sleep in several layers!

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed for a night in October - I wanted a local place to stay after going to a semi-final game in Eden Park for the Rugby World Cup. Very handy to get to after the game and easy to pick up the airport shuttle on Dominion Road ( a 10 minute walk away).
Made to feel very welcome by reception - my single room was very basic indeed - room was threadbare, blinds didn't work, minimal storage space for luggage, so anyone staying for longer than 1 night might find that a bit odd.
Would I stay there again? Unlikely. Probably geared towards the younger generation - but don't want to be too harsh as the location was top rate for my purposes.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Papofurado
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Pentlands is well located in a friendly neighbourhood with easy access to the city and good local amenities. The management and staff were very friendly and helpful with any enquiries I made.

The bathrooms, kitchen and dining areas were very, very clean.

The hostel could do with a new central heating system and the beds are way too soft. I did not spend much time watching television in the lounge but a new sofa or 3 would also help. Another thing the owners may want to invest in are lockers to store luggage in the bedrooms.

Having said that, when it comes to budget accommodation this is about as good as it gets. The best asset Pentlands has is their Staff. The cleaners worked diligently twice a day. I greatly appreciated having a clean kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The Manager had great knowledge of the local area and she was also able to give me some great travel advice for other parts of New Zealand.

My holiday started and ended in Auckland. Over the course of 10 weeks I also passed through Auckland on 2 other occassions. I was happy to stay at Pentlands on all 4 occasions. The hostel has a great atmosphere and on my last 2 visits the staff were so great that it felt like I was visiting old friends.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking for accommodation in Auckland. Sure it gets a little cold, the beds are too soft and the sofa's are shocking but I would definitely stay here again when visiting Auckland.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I can't judge a place based on the people who were staying there when I passed through. I was there for 1 week, and the place was fine. Didn't get a good 1st impression from Vinnie (one of the managers?). Had a single private room which was quite small. Showers/toilets & kitchen area were clean & fine. Located outside of the CBD in the Mt. Eden neighborhood. A nice walk from Mt. Eden. Near restaurants, cafes & grocery store. Also a 5-10 min. walk to buses that take you to the CBD, Parnell or Newmarket neighborhoods.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank beamin2
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I travelled to Auckland for a few weeks last year. Having been to the city before, I wanted to explore the suburbs and residential enclaves. While at the airport at the information center, I decided to go with Pentlands. I called them on the courtesy phone and they said I could grab a bed right away.

Pentlands Bed and Breakfast hotel is more of a hostel than anything else. It is conveniently located just a few blocks from the airport bus route, as well as other bus routes.

One of the great things I liked about this place was the showers. Hottest showers in a hostel I've ever seen. And they were clean (recently refurbished).

One thing I did not like was that place was always cold. I stayed during the end of their winter season, start of spring. My first night was in a dorm room, next to the window. It was rainy/cloudy that night, really cold due to air leaking in from the window. I slept with my shoes, socks, gloves and scarves on. The room had space heaters scattered throughout, but it was not enough to heat the entire room. Luckily I was moved to a smaller room, shared with 3 longer-staying residents. The heat in this room was much better.

I only used the kitchen for breakfast, preferring to go out for lunch/dinner. The kitchen is small, but clean. Appliances are in ok condition.

Since I did not want to stay in the city, I felt that the location is great. It is located right near Mount Eden Domain, so I could go up there on a daily walk and enjoy the views of the surrounding area. A large supermarket is located just a few blocks away, as well as major bus routes into the city (Dominion Road and Mt Eden Rd). Also, the Mt Eden shops is located a few blocks too.

Management was ok. When I arrived, the person on duty gave me a tour of the hostel and helped me with my bags. I did not encounter any other problems while I stayed there. I did not hang around the hostel much, just was a place to sleep.

I would caution that you bring luggage locks when you stay, and keep your important documents and phone either locked up or on your body. I did not see lockers in the rooms I stayed in. I have a small backpack with my valuables that I would carry with me at all times, even to the bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Pentlands is in a good location with easy access to bus routes & local amenities, however the accommodation manager, falls far short of what one would reasonably expect from someone in his position. Verbal abuse of a guest, as a result of a using a bathroom which had a questionable out of order sign, was not what I expected & quite alarming. The guest in question felt so threatened by the managers outburst that they along with other members of there party felt compelled to leave.
Reasonable accommodation, shame about the management

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MarcUk
Reviewed 13 August 2010

First, be aware that Pentlands is a backpacker hostel, not a hotel - it's one of the BBH hostels. Not a problem, but don't expect B and B standards, or breakfast! We stayed at Pentlands at the end of a six-month stint in New Zealand. We've been to Auckland before and the Mount Eden hostels are the only ones I would stay in apart from City Garden. It's about a 30 minute walk into the city, there's a big supermarket 5 minutes away (although it's a good hill back up) and there are frequent buses in and back so the location is good. Also plenty of parking - we had a car to sell so needed this.

Pentlands is not as smart as the reception area appears; the big lounge has tatty smelly chairs and is very dark, but kitchen and showers are newly refurbished, although sadly the showers don't all have fans and the decoration may not last too long. The place is cleaned thoroughly in the morning and the kitchen and showers are done again last thing at night which is excellent. Kitchen storage and equipment are ok but as always could be better, and while the fridges are cleared often they do need to be a bit more ruthless with this.

We had double room 1 on the front and it was very quiet - there are many long-termers in the hostel and after some trouble there is no tolerance for late night noise, and we had uninterrrupted sleep for all the 10 nights of our stay. Anyone who has stayed in NZ's thin-walled buildings with youngsters will know how good this is! It was also noticeable that the other guests got friendlier the longer we stayed;

It was coming into winter but still occasionally nice enough to sit outside - trouble was that the decking area is also the smoking area and as all the travellers smoke like chimneys it was unusable for anyone who likes to breathe. Could do with a smoke-free area or at least having the smoking area away from the house as I was forever closing the door to keep the stink out. After a chilly first night we asked for and got a heater; it's an old building and leaks heat like a sieve, although as ever in NZ investment in thick curtains would pay dividends, no-one ever seems to do this!

The washing machines are expensive $4 and the outside drying area doesn't get much sun. Internet access is ok at $2 for half an hour, for longer stints you either need a laptop or to go into the city or to the library about 20 minutes away.

Owner and manager were very pleasant and helpful and ran a tight ship. Not the most characterful or comfortable of places, but could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 62 in Auckland Central
ASURE AT Eden Park
ASURE AT Eden Park
#1 of 2 in Mount Eden

Been to Pentlands Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!