“Very nice and quiet !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Eden B&B and Inns
France
“Very nice and quiet !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

Very nice and quiet stay, from 13 to 16 December. Of course it depends on the people being there at the time. After reading internet comments about backpackers in general, I was absolutely surprised. Looked very clean and neat to me, not a single point of complaint comes to my mind. I didn't cooked there though, just slept in a 4-people room and used the showers. Very peaceful surroundings, ah and I liked the outside line to hang clothes.

Big plus to me : it was very easy to book online via debit card on their own website, a real pleasure compared to other backpackers using third party websites where neither offers nor fares seem to be corresponding to what is advertised.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

This is a very well located hostel, a half hour walk or 10 min bus into city centre, and on a quiet, picturesque road. Kate, who is the duty manager Monday to Friday, is really friendly and lovely, which along with the homeliness of the kitchen and bathroom spaces, makes for a really nice atmosphere where guests are chatty and sociable. I do have one complaint, which is that I stayed 3 nights here as I was looking for somewhere quiet to stay before flying out of new Zealand. The hostel do request that people don't make noise after 10pm, but with Kate away one evening, people (including temporary staff) behaved really disrespectfully to other guests until the early hours, which meant I had no sleep before my flight, which was a real shame at the end of a wonderful trip. Guess I was just unlucky with the timing.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

We loved this place.
The beds were comfy, proper mattresses, big spaces on the bunks. Good parking.
The staff were helpful, friendly. It was ideally located for Mount Eden itself. Bit of a walk into Auckland centre but ok if you're not in a rush, although plenty of buses to get (reception will help with that).
My only criticism and its not a biggie. In the kitchen the work top space is badly set up as no matter where you put your stuff to start preparing food, you end up I'm someone's way as the cupboards are beneath you for all the utensils.
Apart from that this hostel was fab. There's a lovely atmosphere and everyone seems to have a bit of a chat too. Would defo go back!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed for 7 nights in this hostel as it was our first stop in NZ and we needed some time to get our IRD number and buy a car. Returned for 2 nights after a short 10 days trip to Northland.

Most of the rooms we stayed in previously (in Asia) has its own ensuite bathroom and thus I was a bit apprehensive about the shared bathrooms. My worries were unfounded as the bathrooms were very clean and the showers were really hot (great for this weather when it averages at about 15 degrees during the day). After chatting with Vinnie (one of the managers), I realised that this is because the bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day! This is quite a busy hostel and you may have to queue occasionally (only had to queue twice during my 7+2 nights stay), but when it happens, the hostel manager will come round (Kate in this case), and allow you to use the staff toilet as well.

The double room is basic but sufficient. We had 2 side tables, 2 side lamps, a queen sized bed, heater and room for 2 huge backpacks (we are both on a working holiday)! Very clean and comfortable. Granted that the rooms are separated by partitions, and thus, you will be able to hear your neighbours but think that is quite common in hostels anyway. The second time we stayed in the hostel, we got a double room where the heater shuts itself down every 3 hours. This is my only complain about this place as I woke up freezing in the morning.

We stayed in the private room and thus do not need lockers, however, we noted that lockers for the dorm is by the kitchen and require your own padlock so remember to bring your own!

The smoking area is at the patio outside the house, but guests are not allowed to sit there after 10pm. This is because it is really close to the neighbour, and they will call the hostel to complain. So for people who are looking for a party and drinking hostel, maybe look somewhere else.

Kitchen is huge and lots of space for preparation of food and storing of food. We cooked everyday and had no problems although you may have to have your meals a bit later or earlier than usual to beat the crowd.

During the 7 days that we were there, we had a good chat with both Vinnie and Kate (2 of the hostel managers). Both are really friendly and helpful.

Location wise, it is about 10 mins walk to Countdown (a huge supermarket chain). There are also cafes, restaurants, pubs, banks, post office within 15 minutes walk either on Dominion Road or Mt Eden Road. However, if you want to get to town, you will have to take a bus and the bus stop is about 10 minutes walk as well.

Overall, great experience and will definitely stay there again if we go back to Auckland again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ruo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed for 4 nights; 2 nights in a mixed dorm and 2 in a single (actually a tiny room with a bunk bed). The staff were very friendly and helpful and whilst the hostel was very clean, it was a little
worn and shabby. Neither was it super-cheap but that would be on account of some pesky rugby tournament that was taking place. It's a short distance from Eden Park which was great for the rugby fans, about a 20 minute bus ride to Auckland city centre and a 15 minute walk to Mt Eden.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

First of all it's not a B&B. We found it to be a good backpacker. The staff was nice. Really nicely located, near the buses and groceries and nice shops. The kitchen is really clean as well as the bathrooms. I was pretty suprised after reading all the reviews.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Edmonton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Unfortunately our stay at this hostel was one of the worst on the trip. Overall, the hostel is nice - it's in a nice area (peaceful neighbourhood) and has good facilities: a decent kitchen, clean showers and toilets, nice rooms, amazing living area, etc. Based on the hostel itself, I would recommend it.

However, I have read a number of terrible reviews about Vinnie and though I didn't have any nasty encounters, I would still recommend to steer clear. Why would you support someone who treats guests in such a way? The vibe I got in the hostel was very unwelcoming and I often felt uncomfortable here. Service was sub par and staff could have been better. Our room was very close to the front patio where people held loud conversations until 4 in the morning. I would have been fine with this (im not one to rain on someones parade) but the staff were in earshot of these people late at night and didn't bother to ask them to move in consideration of other guests. I guess I was more annoyed by the staff not caring then the people having a good time outside our door. The blinds also did nothing to block out the light from the street lamps. As a result, we slept very poorly both nights.

Location is okay but other hostels are much better (several downtown). Buses run frequently and there are shops, restaurants, pubs, and a grocery store close by (countdown). Good location if you want a calm area, bad if you want to be where the action is.

Overall, this isn't a horrible place by any means but there are better places you can stay and I would recommend doing so. Just consider yourself warned...

• Stayed December 2011

#1 of 53 in Auckland
ASURE AT Eden Park
ASURE AT Eden Park
#1 of 2 in Mount Eden

Been to Pentlands Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!