“Last minute stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Fairplay B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Last minute stay”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having a cabin in the South Park area, we frequent Fairplay often. This time the 70 MPH wind gusts had made the dirt roads impassable with drifted snow. We couldn't get to our remote cabin so we had a last minute need to stay in a hotel. To be honest, we tried to stay at the newer hotel in town but it was still closed due to water main break problems. So we drove down the road to the Western Inn. We have stayed here many times before so knew it was an older property with out-dated decor and TVs but also that it is clean, dog friendly, reasonably priced and family-run. Our stay was as expected.

We had to request a late check-out because we were waiting for a tow truck to get us back to Denver. With the high winds, the tow company was hesitant to head out before the winds died down. The staff was able to accommodate our request to extend our check-out time even later than their normal late check-out.

We couldn't connect to the wi-fi but we got all the numbers we needed from a local phone book.

This isn't fancy but it is a good place to stay while in South Park.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Advertised on the website as "Pet" friendly. Our leashed trained bengal cats (each weighing less than 20 pounds were not allowed...they claimed "Dogs Only" When I suggested they change their website to avoid these issues they then claimed the website belongs to previous owners and they have no control over it. Yet at the same time they advertise thru it, take reservations from it etc etc etc. They were extremely rude, practiced discrimination in refusing service and are guilty of false advertising.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GemsbyMark
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2013

From considerable experience, I'd say this is the best motel in the Fairplay/Alma area. The rooms are not fancy but clean and comfy. The staff really cares for its customers. Service was excellent.
For skiing in Breck, or climbing the 14'ers of Park County, this is a thrifty and well-located place to stay. I'll definitely go back

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here the night before a day of climbing with friends. This is a simple, family-run affair. Nothing fancy, the rooms are out-dated, but they are very spacious with plenty of space to store gear. Also, my room was plenty clean and the man at the front desk who checked me in was friendly.

Two negatives during my stay:
a) Paper-thin walls meant I heard my neighbors as they left at 5:30 in the morning.
b) Management neglected to shovel snow from the walkways! I had to walk through a foot-deep drift to get to my door, and I tracked all sorts of snow into the room despite my efforts to the contrary. Management: Please either shovel the walks or hire someone to do it for you!

I would stay here again for no-frills lodging prior to an early-morning outdoor adventure.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank COLadyRoadWarrior
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 October 2012

My brother and I set off to hike the Decalibron the last weekend in September and we wanted a close place to stay the night so we chose the Western Inn Motel and RV Park based solely on price. The place was decent enough, however, the bathroom wasn't that clean (hair, grime, etc) and the cable TV didn't have all the channels that were advertised. In the end, the room is worth what we paid for it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank chris w
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I planned to hike to the summit of Mount Sherman and determined that Fairplay, Colorado was the closest town to the trailhead. After surveying reviews for local hotels, we chose to stay at the Western Inn Motel & RV Park. It is an old property with very little perks; however, the room was spacious and we were comfortable enough, but the room was a little dusty and dingy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairplay
A Riverside Inn Hotel
Arrowhead Point Campground & Cabins
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#5 of 8 in Leadville

Been to The Western Inn Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!