“Quaint, a true old west hotel full of charm that transports you back in time!”
Review of The Fairplay Hotel

The Fairplay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Fairplay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2012

If you're looking for all the amenities, this isn't the place for you! BUT, of you want to stay in an authentic old west hotel, you will LOVE this hotel! The staff is friendly and great, many locals work here. The rooms are so inviting and charming! The lobby is beautifully decorated, complete with wooden floors that creak. They have an awesome saloon and a nice restaurant with a good selection. Best of all, they do know how to make real drinks and not just sugared down versions! They do exist in the 21st century and offer wifi and cable tv. My husband and I were delighted to find such an authentic western hotel with good service and good food so near to Denver yet still away from Denver. This is a great choice for a romantic get away!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank HeidiRaeH

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Charming, old, room wasn't very warm, and oh by the way my daughter saw a ghost. She swears it is true, but wasn't freaked out. The restaurant was good. We enjoyed it a lot. The beds weren't overly comfy, but this stay was more for character than a great sleep, so we were happy with our choice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Mom_with_Teenagers14
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here instead of our usual chain hotel for something with a bit of character, I will definitely stick to the chains as at least I know what I'm getting. The room was freezing cold all night with barely anything coming from the radiators. There were no staff around for me to complain to. I had to call a phone number to get someone to come and check us in. Then in the morning we thought a hot shower would heat us up. Wishful thinking, as there was no hot water at all. There was a notice in the bathroom asking you to run the shower for 5 minutes to bear with the old piping of the hotel but we ran it for 25 minutes and it was still freezing. I complained at the front desk in the morning and again I had to call a phone number for someone to come to the desk. A member of the breakfast wait staff ended up coming to the front to take my complaint, but obviously could do nothing about the problems. She took the details of my issues, apologised and said that the manager would call me. Funnily enough nobody bothered - of course I had paid in advance for the room. $80 for a freezing room with 'character', and no hot water?? I'll stick to my chain hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KYLIEW955
Reviewed 18 December 2011

OK..this is a beautiful OLD historic hotel.  Beautiful antique lobby with creaky floors, nice restaurant (live music last night), large clean rooms, good beds, clean linens, and down comforters.   Staff is very nice, and accommodating.  Wireless Internet is available, just ask the front desk for the password.

We ate breakfast at the restaraunt - awesome!  We had a burrito, omelettes and biscuits 'n gravy.  Definitely would eat here again!

When we checked in, we were reminded that some folks say this place is haunted.  I don't believe in any of that, so i guess that is why i did not hear or see any ghosts or dead miners running the halls at night!

Originally, the rooms were 'only rooms', with the bathrooms at the end of the hall.  The only complaint I have is the bathroom.  It is functional, small, and not a good remodel job.  Retaining the historical charm, room number 38 remains painted on the bath side of the door - this was the original entrance into the room-too cool!

If you want your Comfort Inn, stay at the Riverside Inn.  If you want the historical experience, this is your place!!   And be sure to have some (famous and tv featured) tamales and burrito's at the bowling alley diner (1 mile away)!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Gwiggs1
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Very unusual place - would've verged on acceptable if hotel neon light wasn't shining in my room with no way to close the "curtains" and if I could turn around in the shower.

But, neither was the case.

Food wasn't terrible, though.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JHiker_7
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Enjoyed our stay for the most part, would think we would get the trash taken out and maybe clean towels, or the bed made, for the 2nd night stay without having to ask. Also coffee somewhere in the building on Monday morning would be nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank YoshiNebraska
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We have been going to this hotel since it reopened a couple years ago. Each room has its own character. The beds are very comfortable. We love everything about the place, including the staff and the owner. The food on-site is top-notch as well. We will be back in July!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank john r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairplay
A Riverside Inn Hotel
The Western Inn Motel & RV Park
Columbine Inn & Suites
Columbine Inn & Suites
#6 of 8 in Leadville

Been to The Fairplay Hotel? Share your experiences!