“Old Historic Charm--Small Hotel”
Review of The Fairplay Hotel

The Fairplay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Fairplay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We just returned from a one-night stay at the Valiton. We enjoy historic old hotels and know that sometimes that means things aren't in perfect condition, etc. I like that all of the original old wood trim and even most original paneling is still in place. The doors to the bathrooms in the rooms tend to be fussy about closing but I dare say that is because they are original doors--or close to it! They still have the old fashioned key-hole lock on them that used to require a key to operate but the door locks now with a latch. I find this neat, but some people might think the doors should be replaced. But these are the things that give an old historic hotel its historic feel--and to me, it's charm! In fact I read someone's review where they complained about the creaky wood floors. I loved the creaky wood floors! I only noticed it in the dining room where we had breakfast.

We didn't do our research to realize that the bar and restaurant would be closed on a Monday afternoon, which was when we arrived. We were disappointed, but the accommodating owner, Constance, offered to open it up and pour us a couple of drinks. We really enjoyed the opportunity to sit at the old bar and chat with the owners. Because the restaurant was closed, she was happy to tell us of several other options in the area. We didn't realize how close Alma was and drove up the hill for dinner. Glad we did!
Because this is a small town and a small hotel, the owners are not always on the property. I sort of liked the relaxed come-and-go feeling but I know some folks expect constant attention and service. This is not the place for that. Be ready to be left to your own devices so to speak. The owner does offer an emergency contact number but I hope for her sake folks aren't calling at midnight asking her to come to the hotel and bring them more towels! Speaking of that, there was a basket on a cabinet in the hallway down from our room that offered some extra towels for guests..as well as a few small toiletry items.

Our bathroom was very clean, and our room was satisfactory. This is an old hotel so the rooms are small and quaint. We weren't entirely happy with the comfort level of our bed--my husband in particular. It was very very firm. My husband called it a buckboard at one point! I didn't find it perfect/ideal, but for what we paid and the uniqueness/historic elements of the hotel, I was fine with it for one night. We did hear a bit of traffic as our room was at the front of the hotel, but it was nearly silent by 9 pm and only the occasional passing car in the morning.

We know from speaking with her that the owner has struggled with a satisfactory cooking staff for the restaurant. Therefore we already didn't have high expectations for our breakfast which was probably a good thing. Our breakfast wasn't bad at all but not anything special. We are hoping she is able to upgrade that aspect but in a small mountain town ideal staff can be hard to find!

I believe the owner said she was trying to sell the property, which might account for a little bit of the lack of TLC we noted around the lobby area--dusting needed, etc. She might be feeling a little burnt out and struggling to find reasonable help to tend to some of these extras.

Overall we enjoyed the opportunity to experience the character and history of the Valiton hotel.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about traffic noise you may want to ask for a room on the backside of the hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather H

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had such a fun stay here! Bessy and Constance were so friendly and accommodating! Great food and great drinks. Bessy made a great Cosmo and Irish coffee. It was fun spending the evening at the bar sharing stories. The rooms were so quaint and comfortable. My girls would have loved it! This place oozes with history and charm. The stories about the people and the hotel are so intriguing. The 'ghost stories' and the stories about the past and the tunnels under the hotel and under various other businesses in Fairplay were also intriguing. The authentic 1800's Brunswick bar is something else! Cannot wait to come back here. If you want a real experience and enjoy connecting with people I highly recommend this place. The authentic 1800's Brunswick bar is something. We got to enjoy it late at night with the roaring fire. A great experience :) We are aware the ownership traded hands for a very short while and the situation was not good. We just know about Constance and her staff and we could definitely feel the genuine love they have for the hotel and how they genuinely care about their guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mandy_l_g
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My sons and I stayed at the Valiton in winter 2011. My expectations were in check so I really enjoyed the mystery, history and nostalgia. It's true that there is generally no caretakers or owners in the building at night...which was a bit creepy one of the nights since my sons stayed with friends in Breckenridge and I was literally the ONLY person in the entire building. No hauntings, except that my cell phone text message ting went off in the middle of the night, and there was nothing there. It was January so it was cold...bring your warm pajamas. Take the advice and let the shower run for a good long time before you need to use it. Have fun and enjoy the unique experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a terrific place. All ripe with history, photos, and creeping hardwood floors. The bar is super and equipped with a fireplace that is shared with the restaurant. The food is excellent and the staff will do anything to make your stay pleasant and make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: They are all excellent and decorated different!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bonnie D
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We got the last room available in this hotel and it was still ok. They have new owners and the staff try very hard to make your trip a pleasant one. I am sure they have some more improvements to do but it is coming along as a fun place to stay. They also treated our dogs well. Food is good in the restaurant and the bar is quaint.

Room Tip: The rooms are are all very different from a twin bed room to one with several beds so be specific as...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

After checking out Breckenridge prices on motels, decided to continue to FairPlay in hopes of more reasonable prices. Found the FairPlay-Valton Hotel. After the original 1890's burnt, they
replaced it in 1923. The hotel was quaint, my wife loves old things, including me. They have an antique bar that was brought in from the next town over. The Constance and her husband were very pleasant and accommodating. The hot water took quite some time to get to our room (It is a old hotel), but then was plentiful. The night we stayed they had a buffet which we had with good results. I'd go back. Parking for the cycle was on the street, but very safe. Some other reviews say no customer service, that is true to some extent depending on when you need it, but a simple phone call will get you what you need

Room Tip: No one can sneak up on you! The creaky floors will tip you off. A Great return to the past.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

There is no customer service , not even anyone around. When we arrived there was a tray of keys with notes attached. “Take yours.” Advertised as a Bed & Breakfast but there is no breakfast. A sign says 8:00 but no one is around. We understand “quaint” but what we got was run down. Electricity in the room – yeah one outlet worked. Could we complain – sure, but no one was there to listen. We wrote to the owner asking if there were mitigating factors. Never even received acknowledgment. Bad deal not even cheap.

Room Tip: Room in the front of the hotel provide a nice view of Fairplay, but be prepared for the traffic nois...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GeBeColorado
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairplay
A Riverside Inn Hotel
The Western Inn Motel & RV Park
Columbine Inn & Suites
Columbine Inn & Suites
#6 of 8 in Leadville

Been to The Fairplay Hotel? Share your experiences!