“Good Barbeque in Fairplay”

Mason's High Country BBQ
Ranked #8 of 22 Restaurants in Fairplay
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Located just east of the intersection of 285 and Hwy 9, this 'mom 'n pop' Barbeque serves very good sandwiches (pulled pork, beef, sausage, etc.) and the side dishes are good too. Not the cheapest (sandwiches for 2 + sides rand $22), consider getting the 'family portions' if you have several people. Also, the seating area is fairly limited inside but they have a couple of picnic tables outside if it's a nice day. One of the owners was serving the day we went - she's a very outgoing personality and strikes up a friendship with everyone coming in - makes you feel very welcome. Since barbeque places are hard to find in Summit county, we'll keep this one in mind for next time.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a great place for BBQ, we stopped in for lunch and were really surprised by the quality of the food. The pulled pork was very tender and had a great flavor, the German sausage was some of the best we have had in a long time. We have never had cole slaw like this, it had a mustard mayonnaise sauce on it that was really good. If we are in the area again we will stop.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stopped in here on our trip back to Denver from Breckenridge. Yeah, you can get off the beaten path and avoid I70 to see some "real" Colorado.

I'm assuming it was the owners who took our order and prepared the food and they were wonderfully friendly and nice. They made us feel very welcome and chit-chatted with us. Ours was a group of four and two of us ordered the pulled pork sandwich, one the brisket sandwich, and I got the ribs. All of the meat was done to perfection. The Pork and Beef was melt in your mouth tender and the ribs almost fell off the bone.

My wife and I immediately disagreed about the BBQ sauce. The sauce seemed to be an east-coast style, vinegar based, sauce which my wife LOVED. I'm not quite as much a fan of vinegar based sauces so for me it wasn't as good. The sauce did, however, make the side of beans (home made with three different types of beans) taste delicious! The slaw was also homemade and very tasty.

If you're in Fairplay and want some BBQ, this place has some great food, especially if you like vinegar-based BBQ Sauces.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Let me just say, wow, this is real bbq and soooo good! The meal option is what I lean towards where you can enjoy a selection of meats and sides and its all sooo good!

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

on our way from boulder to telluride we stopped in for a quick bite. we were most pleased. pulled pork sandwich FTW. if you want bbq and your in fairplay, co - do yourself a favor and stop in