“Great find in Fairplay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 20 Restaurants in Fairplay
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a full service and family friendly restaurant specializing in steaks and southwestern cuisine.
Denver, Colorado
“Great find in Fairplay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on out way to Breckenridge because of the TripAdvisor reviews and were happily surprised. Kid friendly, excellent (free) chips & salsa, real Caesar salad w/homemade dressing & grilled chicken, and my son loved the chicken Schnizel. Servers were friendly and attentive, & the manager checked in on us to inquire about the quality of food. We'll be back for sure!

1 Thank LisaD1995

Colorado
“Good for people who don't want steak too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I wouldn't call this a true steakhouse, which works for me. I am not a steakhouse person so appreciate the variety of dishes offered that aren't steak. On the menu, steak is only half the entrees. If you count in the specials, they are more like a third. And the entrees all have their sides on the plate for no extra charge, another way this restaurant thankfully departs from your typical steakhouse. So, now that I've explained my title, I'll talk about everything else. There are some interesting and unique dishes and the quality of the food is good. It isn't cheap, but if you're a local you understand how much more it costs to get quality incredients, such as the Steakhouse uses, up into the mountains. Go to the grocery store and see how much more the fresh foods cost than they do in the city. The prices are no more expensive here than their main competitor across the street (really the only other restaurant of this caliber in Fairplay) and I'd say the food is a bit more consistently good here. I've never eaten anything bad. My husband loves the burgers. My 11 year old son is addicted to the Green Chili Mac-n-Cheese. They do have a kids menu as well, but be warned there is no mac-n-cheese on the kids menu (how we discovered the Green Chili Mac in the first place). The coconut shrimp appetizer exceeded expectation and the soups are unique and tasty. Service is good to great depending on who you have serving you. I can tell which server the reviewers who say the service is great had. Our last time, our server was okay. She just got the job done, but dind't really make us feel warm and fuzzy. I've had a server who was so rude in the past that I vowed not to come back. But, I've also had a server who is just awesome. One final note, if you've tried or looked at the Steakhouse before, you may have been disappointed to find them closed in the winter. We just learned that they are going to stay open all year this year so definitely give them a try.

2 Thank WorkingTravelMom
Monument, Colorado
“Decent Steak House”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Food and service were great. Atmosphere was just OK. I mean, with a setting like they have, it could have been better. It was clean, with everything in it's place. Chairs and table's were just ordinary. I ate a salad that was very good. The jalapeno poppers were excellent. They weren't fried, which is what I was expecting, but were cut in half, filled with tasty cheese and topped with bacon, Yum! It came with a spicy jelly that you could top it off with. Very tasty, but spicy. Everyone in our group enjoyed their food. No one actually had a real steak, so I don't know how good there steak is, but I bet it is pretty good. There were a few pieces of sliced steak on my salad that tasted great, with a pepper flavor.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank DeT641
Coleraine
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were dirt biking through Colorado and got caught in a bad rain storm and made an unscheduled stopover in Fairplay. Our hotelier recommended the South Park.
Friendly service, fantastic salsa with the margaritas, and a great steak. We were persuaded to try the cherry pie and we were glad we did.

Highly recommended.

1 Thank maxbiaggi
Rocky Mountain High
“Nice place for dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were delighted to find a good restaurant in the small town of Fairplay. The meals selection included some a little more elaborate than you would expect in a small town, which is a treat. Nothing fancy, but tasty and hearty. The waitresses are friendly and a pleasure to talk with. I wish the service was a little faster, though.

Visited July 2013