“Great character hotel in Fairplay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairplay
Hand Hotel Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Fairplay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had the choice between cookie cuter junction franchise motels or the Hand....and the Hand was easily the right choice!
Great funky interior, very good firm beds, clean bathrooms and a great breakfast.
It was the friendliest, most at-ease property we stayed in in our time in the 4 corners region. Highly recommended if you don't want chrome and glass and formulaic accommodation.
Nice to see they don't have computers (they have wifi) for reservations; paper rules!

Room Tip: The proprietor lets you check all unoccupied rooms and decide what you prefer....can't do better...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Five hikers planning on climbing nearby Mt. Democrat and Mt. Lincoln decided to stay at the Hand Hotel the night before. We found great hospitality, comfortable rustic themed rooms fitting the mining history of Fairplay, with all the comforts of home. Although we left before breakfast, the staff were very accomodating to our needs to store a breakfast that we brought and get it early in the morning. I'd like to return another time to enjoy this B&B longer.

Cathy

Room Tip: Check the room descriptions on the website for one that fits you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at the Hand Hotel for the first time Saturday night, August 17, 2013. I was very pleased with the staff and the rooms. I chose the Hand Hotel because it is well located for hiking the area Colorado 14er mountains and is in a beautiful setting in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. The hotel came as advertised: Historic but well mainained old gold mine hotel turned into bed and breakfast. Each room has a differnt theme. The room was small and clean and all I needed. Mike at the front desk is a wealth of information on the area, including the history of the mining activities from the 1800's. There is a nice elevated back porch to watch the sunset over Mount Sherman (the 14er I climbed the next morning). Nice lounging areas in the lobby and the back lower enclosed porch. And the very affordable rate for my room was a nice surprise. Decent restarants and art shops are a short walk away. I am planning on taking my wife with me on my next trip there and staying again at the Hand Hotel.

Room Tip: Call and talk to the staff about yourself and you companions.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I recently made a reservation for this hotel, for a very busy weekend for the Fairplay Fiber and Bead Show. Made the reservation one month ahead, and even discussed the show with the lady who was making the reservation for me. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no record of our reservation, even though I had called 2 days prior to verify all was in order. The manager was less than friendly, but did offer to call another hotel in the area. Not sure what happened or if the hotel has new staff.... I travel frequently for business, and have not had this happen previously. Just an FYI!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthbrown27
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Fairplay has a fairly small selection of hotels and the Hand is definitely the best of the bunch! As other people have commented, it looks like the set of a western movie, but for real! We really appreciated the room with a double bed and a bunk bed for our group, and the room was spotlessly clean. The hotel also has very nice common areas like a sunroom where you can hang out and read or play games in the evening. The older gentleman who worked at the desk gave us a great restaurant recommendation and the hotel breakfast was totally satisfactory. Pass up the chain places on the highway and stay here!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cmckayboulder
Reviewed 8 July 2013

In the beautiful mountain surroundings, FairPlay is a wonderful relaxing place. The hand hotel goes hand in hand with this experience. With each room themed to resemble lodging out of an old western movie, the stay was cozy and comfortable. I felt like I was staying with family out in the country. (With njce up to date bathrooms) Breakfast was great and freshly prepared. It was a nice step above typical continental. This is a great jump off point to mountain hiking in the area. I'll be back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank holyhiker
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We were looking for a quiet weekend in South Park to do some fishing. There are only a few places to stay around Fairplay so not much for selection. We prefer B&Bs so I reserved a room at the Hand. The reservation was easy and check in was smooth. The common area was comfortable with a great fireplace. The room had some repairs to the walls that needed to be completed and the bathroom looked recently remodeled. They should probably fix the patch on the wall for more descriminating guests. Its not the Ritz but for an old building it was in really good shape. I like the history of the area and the staff was well versed in local information. There are some good local restaurants right closeby and a bar next door. The local people were friendly but not in a nosey way. The Breakfast part of the B&B was a contenental breakfast. I was told this during the reservation but I found myself wanting a sit-down breakfast. The food was good and we had plenty to eat. Mike was a good morning host and he gave us some good tips on fishing in the area.

Room Tip: we only saw two rooms: the school marm had the recent repairs to the wall that needed to be finished...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple