“Always exceptional food!”
Review of El Monte Grill & Lounge - CLOSED

El Monte Grill & Lounge
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: College and Prospect
Transit: Future development will have the Mason Street corridor at our back door. RTD bus stop with-in 3 blocks.
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I visit Fort Collins 2-3 times a years and El Monte Grill is the first restaurant we head to every time. Coin Margaritas are flawless, the Exotic Guacamole is unparalleled, and every entrée is fresh and loaded with flavor. El Monte is a "must do" on my travel list.

1  Thank LoveToRV_2
Kate S, General Manager at El Monte Grill & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

We appreciate you taking the time in your travels and choosing El Monte Grill and Lounge as your dining destination! We strive to put top quality into our food, drinks and service and wish to build a great relationship with our customers. Thank you for choosing us, we hope to see you again soon!

Katie

El Monte Grill and Lounge

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We visited for dinner this past weekend. We were excited to try this place considering the menu looked different from your typical Ft. Collins Mexican restaurant.

The atmosphere is nice but doesn't exactly have a Mexican feel (they were playing oldies music). For a Saturday night at 8pm there were only 3 or 4 occupied tables, which worried me. At least we were seated right away and I was impressed with how our server was so knowledgeable and passionate about the ingredients on the menu.

We immediately ordered the exotic guacamole (what drew us here in the first place) and while it was good (what guac isn't?) it mostly tasted like normal guacamole to me. I was hoping for more of the goat cheese and fruit in the mix. A server also brought out salsa and 3 soft corn tortillas. We were confused how to use up the salsa effectively with these tortillas and were told that "most people don't". Good thing we had the chips that came with our guacamole!

I ordered the cheese Queso Oaxaca and my husband ordered the Steak & Enchilada. The "mother red sauce" on our dishes was unique and tasty. My enchiladas were pretty good, but the rice was just OK and the vegetables had no flavor at all. The husband enjoyed his dish, but it was just as it sounds: a steak and enchilada. Good but nothing special.

Before tip, our bill was around $43, which I consider pretty high for these dishes. Although we enjoyed our meal, there are just too many other Mexican restaurants here that we would gravitate towards for other reasons (price, location, atmosphere, flavors). Unfortunately in a city with this many Mexican restaurants, you need to stand out in some sort of way.

3  Thank Jen O
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Related to the Rio Grande but different. Great gourmet Mexican experience. Fresh fish options were awesome and the guac is the best.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Typical "Mexican" food for a U.S. restaurant. Too much cumin, too bland dishes, yellow corn. Cochinita pibil with no kick and limited achiote dressing, carnitas too lean and far from the original. The classic guacamole is very good if you request additional lime, salt, and cilantro. The exotic guacamole is NOT a guacamole. Some sort of a mix between a fruit salad and a gringo invention

1  Thank Rodrigo M
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I've visited this restaurant twice before, once for dinner which I wasn't impressed with and once for drinks and appetizers which I really enjoyed. However some friends invited us to dinner at this restaurant and I am so happy we went. It must have just been my meal selection the last time because this time the food was fabulous.

The top shelf margarita is strong so beware of that. We ordered two different appetizers. I especially like their guacamole. You start out with a basic guac recipe then you have a check sheet to order extras like feta cheese, hot sauce, and many other items. It truly is prepared to order. We also ordered the ceviche trio. It is enough for 4 people to sample and tasty.

My husband ordered the steak and enchilada. He said it was very good, he liked the steak better than the enchilada. Another person had the pork tenderloin and said it was outstanding. Two of us ordered off the appetizer menu: Wood-oven shrimp and calabacitas huarache and split an order of calabacita relleno. I never knew squash could taste so good. I think the waiter said it was acorn squash. The shrimp was prepared nicely also.

The service was great and the place large enough that wait time should be minimal. There is a bar area if you do have a wait time. The prices are a bit high so I would not come here often but I would definitely come again for a special meal. They do have a happy hour with discounts on drinks and appetizers. I really was wowed on my 3rd visit. It is a must try restaurant.