“A dissappointment”
Review of El Monte Grill & Lounge - CLOSED

El Monte Grill & Lounge
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: College and Prospect
Transit: Future development will have the Mason Street corridor at our back door. RTD bus stop with-in 3 blocks.
Fort Collins, Colorado
“A dissappointment”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have been going to El Monte for the past 3 1/2 yrs, however tonight it definitely did not meet up to the quality of service and respect we have become acquainted with. We came for happy hour, many of the staff are familiar with us and we ordered our usual Esteban, however substituted vodka for gin. We also enjoyed the guacamole, which as usual was excellent. When we received our bill we were charged for full price on every item. When I questioned the bartender about the cost, she replied "I told you about this last week when you were here with your girlfriends". Neither myself, nor my husband have been there since May...we've been traveling and haven't had a chance. She then sent the manager who bluntly stated "there are no substitutions on the happy hour menu". Well...they did change the price of the guacamole to happy hour, however charged us full price for our drinks. I found the manager very cold, avoiding eye contact and rude. I suppose that all good things change...but sorry to see our old stomping grounds taken over by thoughtless, demeaning staff.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank brigdavis
Kate S, General Manager at El Monte Grill & Lounge, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Brigdavis,

I'd like to apologize on behalf of our management team for coming across as cold or out of touch. We love our guests and encourage feedback for what our happy hour menu could feature. We stick to our happy hour menu in hopes of showcasing some of our favorites, however we did not communicate that message to you and we sincerely apologize.
We take your feedback very seriously and will strive to communicate our message better to our valued guests that come to El Monte.

We hope to see you again--If you have any questions please feel free to call the restaurant.

Thank you!

Kate

Vancouver, Canada
“We were very impressed with the quality of the food and excellent service”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We went to El Monte as a family (two grandparents, a five year old and her mom and dad.) We went about 4:30 pm just after they opened and it was happy hour. We had a number of really delicious drink specials, beer and straight tequila. (They do not skimp on the booze.) All of our dishes were wonderful, especially the pork tenderloin. Mashed potatoes have a touch of what I think is mild green chili sauce and they were lovely. The make your own avocado was delicious and served with light, non greasy, and very tasty corn chips. You are given mini flour tortillas with 2 kinds of salsa for no charge when you are first seated which is a great touch. I don't understand why anyone would complain about the cost of some of the dinners. You would pay more for the same quality and amount of food in another restaurant. This is excellent food that happens to be Mexican.( Actually there are many inexpensive offerings on the menu as well. I wanted to try everything!) You get no refried beans here. The beans are a mix, mildly seasoned and seem to be made from the dried state because they have a good texture. We shared 2 desserts the chili chocolate and grilled corn cake...both very, very nice. Last but not least was the service. Our waiter was excellent. He was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and patient with all our questions and gave suggestions of what to try. You could tell he was proud of the restaurant the the food he served and that he likes it himself. I will really look forward to going back. I am still thinking about some of the food.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank tonichestnutantosha
Kate S, General Manager at El Monte Grill & Lounge, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Tonichestnutantosha,

We are thrilled to know you had a great time at El Monte. It sounds like you had a chance to try a few of our favorites from the food and bar menu and we are glad you enjoyed them as much as we do. El Monte strives to deliver quality in our food and beverage and we love the feedback about how we're doing!

We do our best to put thought into all of our food and beverage and I'm so happy to hear that your server took the time to make it enjoyable for you and your family.

We hope to see you soon and wow you again! Next time you come, please feel free to introduce yourself.

Thank you!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Didn't live up to the hype, but ok”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had dinner her with two colleagues on a Monday evening. We stared with the lassie USC and chip, these were good, definitely above average. I had the El Monte tequila sunrise, not dry good. For then entree I had the three tacos (who chicken one shrimp). I was amazed at how small there were, all three were literally the size of what I would have expected one to be! Maybe I ordered the kids portion or something.....anyway, the chicken tacos were ok, but the schrimp actors was very good. Neither of my colleagues liked their entrees at all (re llanos no good and mole sauce not good).

Atmosphere was ok, service was slow, especially since it wasn't crowded. Probably wont be heading back here.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank ColoradoWeatherMan
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Always exceptional food!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I visit Fort Collins 2-3 times a years and El Monte Grill is the first restaurant we head to every time. Coin Margaritas are flawless, the Exotic Guacamole is unparalleled, and every entrée is fresh and loaded with flavor. El Monte is a "must do" on my travel list.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LoveToRV_2
Kate S, General Manager at El Monte Grill & Lounge, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
We appreciate you taking the time in your travels and choosing El Monte Grill and Lounge as your dining destination! We strive to put top quality into our food, drinks and service and wish to build a great relationship with our customers. Thank you for choosing us, we hope to see you again soon!

Katie

El Monte Grill and Lounge
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
“Not impressive for the price we paid”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We visited for dinner this past weekend. We were excited to try this place considering the menu looked different from your typical Ft. Collins Mexican restaurant.

The atmosphere is nice but doesn't exactly have a Mexican feel (they were playing oldies music). For a Saturday night at 8pm there were only 3 or 4 occupied tables, which worried me. At least we were seated right away and I was impressed with how our server was so knowledgeable and passionate about the ingredients on the menu.

We immediately ordered the exotic guacamole (what drew us here in the first place) and while it was good (what guac isn't?) it mostly tasted like normal guacamole to me. I was hoping for more of the goat cheese and fruit in the mix. A server also brought out salsa and 3 soft corn tortillas. We were confused how to use up the salsa effectively with these tortillas and were told that "most people don't". Good thing we had the chips that came with our guacamole!

I ordered the cheese Queso Oaxaca and my husband ordered the Steak & Enchilada. The "mother red sauce" on our dishes was unique and tasty. My enchiladas were pretty good, but the rice was just OK and the vegetables had no flavor at all. The husband enjoyed his dish, but it was just as it sounds: a steak and enchilada. Good but nothing special.

Before tip, our bill was around $43, which I consider pretty high for these dishes. Although we enjoyed our meal, there are just too many other Mexican restaurants here that we would gravitate towards for other reasons (price, location, atmosphere, flavors). Unfortunately in a city with this many Mexican restaurants, you need to stand out in some sort of way.

• Visited May 2013