“Not a beer fan, but this trip is as memorable as a winery visit to me”

New Belgium Brewing
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Quick reference:
1. Kids are allowed, but they likely will be bored
2. Make reservations well in advance
3. If dropping in, tell the check-in host that you would like to be on the standby list
4. The equivalent of several beers is served - maybe a designated driver
5. Parking is a problem - we found a side street across the main road
6. RVs not recommended unless you can find a parking place off site

Although wine is my beverage of choice, we decided to do the tour because we were staying for the evening in Fort Collins. When we arrive, the young man at the check-in kiosk told is that people usually make reservations weeks in advance, but he would put us on standby in case people did not show up. Fortunately for us, it worked out as we were the last two standby tickets issued.

The take home lesson: make reservations in advance, or if you are dropping in, be sure to ask to be on the standby list.

The grounds are beautiful (we thought much prettier than the Coors tour we had done a week or so earlier) There was a small trailer selling various flat breads, and you could purchase beer and souvenirs inside the building. An outside eating area was available.

This tour was fully guided, but if you cannot get into one of these tours, they do have a self-guided tour that you may take. Small glasses of beer are served at every major point so you can sample just about everything they have to offer.

One of the most interesting beers was a "sour beer" (never heard of that). The guide herself admitted that it is an acquired taste. The beer is actually aged in large oak barrels.

The guide explained in detail how the beers are made, and quite a bit of history about the New Belgium brewery.

Definitely a must-see if staying in Fort Collins.

PS: if you are traveling in an RV, stay at the Fort Collins KOA - I have not seen a KOA that beautiful in the 20 years that I've been RV-ing

1  Thank FoodieCdA

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We loved every moment of this experience. We came fans, and left die-hards. The 90-minute tour was fabulous. The grounds beautiful. The beer superb. The tour ends with a trip down a swirly slide! The tasting room was great, but very crowed. They have a small gift-shop with a good variety. One of my favorite aspects was the complimentary post cards. I filled out two and they promised to mail them for me. So fun! The food truck was delicious too. New Belgium knows something about living, and even though I can't take the brewery back home with me, I can take their attitude and love of life. We had such a great time and can't wait to go back.

1  Thank MeKB123
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Went on this tour in July, but made our reservations 2 months prior due to its extreme popularity So be warned, if you are thinking about it. 20 can go on each tour. We have been on many brewery tours, but this one was the BEST by far. Not only do you get samplings all through the tour, and see and learn how the beer is brewed, but it is also entertaining and fun!!!! Kids have a great time too as the tour guide includes them in activities along the way. When you leave, you are impressed with this brewery, and may even wish you worked there. They actually have a "director of fun". And after 5 years there, you get an all expense paid trip to Belgium!!!! Needless to say, the job turnover is very small . Would definitely recommend. We will absolutely do it again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I'm a huge fan if the beers and often order them for my own keg at home but when I went to visit the actual brewery, I couldn't even find a place to sit. The bartender told me to just squeeze in somewhere but I found it way too busy.

3  Thank LaurenABCO
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Ok first off, Loved the PEACH PORCH yum yum! Great brew! Also we didn't do the tour because it's sold out like months before, so beware of that! Anyway, we just 'stopped' in for a taster, and fun!! They have a tiny little self-guided tour around the side for free if you want, and you can "call-in" and get voice guided information on the mini-tour. Some neat stuff to see, the employees seem super happy. The front bar/lobby welcome area was great, they played two games (free beer being the prize) and every one was grinning and having a blast. Thanks!