“Good Tasting Food”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Seven of us had dinner at the Charco Broiler in Ft. Collins, CO early in May 2014. The Charco Broiler is in a fairly old building with older, western décor inside. There is a full bar and lounge and a couple different dining areas. We were warned that the décor was dated and a bit "old timey" but that the food was very good.

I ordered the rib eye steak medium rare and with baked potato. The 1 1/2" thick steak was seasoned deliciously and was so tender I nearly didn't have to chew. It was delicious. However, the steak was definitely cooked only rare most of the way through. The outer edges were medium-rare as requested but the center was definitely barely cooked. At least it was hot throughout. The steak was good enough in flavor that I took home a "doggie bag" and cooked it up for lunch the next day. The baked potato was fluffy and well cooked. It did not seem like a microwave spud. I asked for butter and chives on it. The waitress was aware enough to tell me they don't use chives but would chop some onion greens. Quite often other restaurants will serve the chopped onions when, if fact, you order chives, they just don't tell you.

Perhaps part of the reason for the under cooked steak is that all the others at our table ordered sandwiches, salads, or other light meals, while I was the only one with a steak. Maybe they hurried my meal a bit to keep up with the short orders. The short order meals were in the $10 - $16 range. My meal cost about $24.

I would go here again for their steak but would probably order medium, or at least ask them what there Med, Med-Rare, and Rare really are.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I went there for brunch on a Sunday and they do not serve brunch on Sundays. I was disappointed because I was expecting breakfast and got an average lunch. I have not been back there since.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have been eating at the Charco Broiler for over 30 years. Anytime we are in town to visit family we stop in for steak. We have never been disappointed. Generally dark and close seating there are some out of the way tables but not easy to get unless you can reserve them. We have never had bad service. Sometime the wait staff can be a bit overwhelmed but they have been able to maintain a sense of humor and keep pushing forward.
Limited parking, the old folks start filling the lot at 5:30 and it stays busy until 9PM.
Really good steaks.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I've only dined here a few of times as it's saved for the "special" dinners to celebrate something. The steaks are cooked to perfection every time. The ambiance was a bit like going back in time to the 70's but that didn't matter to me (unless they've remodeled recently) as the food and salad bar was perfect! If visiting Fort Collins...this is the place to eat a great steak dinner.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to this restaraunt and I have to say I now have a favorite place to eat in Fort Collins, Co. Food was excellent and I finally found a gluten free garden burger that was amazing. Wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about gluten sensitivity. I highly recommend this place. :)