“Unique, but I've paid less for better”

and 1 more site!
The Armstrong Hotel
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Fort Collins
Saratoga, Wyoming
“Unique, but I've paid less for better”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very noisy - I was on the 3rd floor but the people on the street below (Olive) were loud enough I felt like they were in my room. I guess it would have helped if I could have shut the bathroom window which was open when I arrived and stuck that way all weekend even though it was February. The room was nice, clean and well appointed, however, the building is very old, and you will notice that more than anything when you try to take the elevator. The lobby is very small and you don't have much anonymity when coming and going - for some that's probably nice. By far the best feature of the Armstrong is Ace Gillette's downstairs - a bar I'd never heard of but one of the nicest elegant hideaways in town with a very good selection of Scotch.

Room Tip: If you want sleep, avoid a room facing Olive or College Streets.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ADROCK F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Armstrong Hotel for one night in November 2013. We had tickets for a dance performance at the Union Colony Center, and decided to stay over rather than driving back to Boulder that night. The hotel was is reasonable walking distance of the theater and right on the Fort Collins main street.

It's an old conversion, so not a spiffy, spanking new and bright hotel. There is parking behind the building, with a hotel entrance right there. Check-in very easy and very casual. The lobby area is small and there is a traditional looking coffee shop next door with access from the lobby. We left early the next morning, so didn't have a chance to sample breakfast, but it looked interesting.

Our room was on the third floor and accessed by what I can only call a funky elevator - one of those old ones with a gate, and instructions not press any buttons until the door was closed. Found that it was sometimes quicker to walk up or down, but we were in no rush. We had a modern queen room and the furnishings were definitely minimalist, but the bed was extremely comfortable, with decent quality linens. Pillows were good and the duvet was of a comfortable medium weight. Good bedside lamps for reading. Television, a small desk and chair, and another easy chair completed the furnishings. Clothes could be hung on a short rail with hangers in one corner.

Bathroom was small, but adequate. Did not have a shower next morning (shhh!), but I tried it and the water pressure was good and the temperature very warm. Minimal toiletries, mostly in wall mounted pump dispensers, but the towels were of excellent quality.

We had an early light dinner downstairs in Ace Gillett's Lounge. Sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple of glasses from a good wine list, and some surprisingly good light meals. Can't remember what we had now, I'm afraid, but we were pleasantly surprised. No music the night we were there, but a very good atmosphere. Returned for a nightcap later, and it looked like this was a popular (but not crowded) local hang-out.

We slept well, although there was some traffic noise early on and a train coming through town in the early hours. If I stay here again I think that I would take one of the "inside" rooms, which didn't sound too appealing, but I think would be quieter. And we're not there for the view.

Only bad note was that someone was trying to find their (?) room around midnight, and thought the best way to do it was to knock on each door until they got the right one. In the room information brochure there was mention of notifying the front desk immediately if there was any disturbance during the night, so perhaps this is a regular occurrence?

The Armstrong is described as a boutique hotel, although it's not one of those frilly places that that description often conjures up. It's terrifically well located, very comfortable and has staff who seem to know they are there to help you enjoy your stay. It's not for everyone, but I would recommend it and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marleydog
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My wife surprised me with our annual post Christmas getaway with this little gem. I have been to Fort Collins many, many times and I've never even noticed this place. It sits on the corner of College Ave and Olive St in downtown Ft. Collins. It is a boutique hotel, so immediately I was skeptical since that usually isn't my thing. You get to choose from different themed rooms, from contemporary to ultra modern to a more rustic, cast iron look, which is the one my wife chose. Incredibly cool place. It has old, creaky wood floors and the place feels like a remodeled dorm...in a good way. There is old radiators in the rooms, but with modern controls on them. The location is perfect for strolling down College and taking your pick of dozens of restaurants and bars.
However, the coolest bar of them all sits in the basement of this hotel. It's called Ace Gillett's and it is really fun! The music is great, the service is great, the drinks are great, and they have a full kitchen! A can't miss!
The hotel even has a community cat named Oreo. Parking can be a challenge down here, but they have a lot right behind the building, and if that is full you can use the Mortuary lot across the street at night and weekends.
Great hotel, check it out!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bktripad
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Armstrong is a lovely old hotel in the central Fort Collins, walking distance to stores, bars, CSU, parks, etc. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, ours was too hot, even during frigid January and I couldn't find a way to regulate the temp or to open the window; we had to kick all the nice snuggly covers off the bed. It was a small thing. There are several cafes and a bar right downstairs and free coffee and wifi in the rooms (although we kept getting booted off the wifi--frustrating). Overall, though, we really enjoy this hotel, the staff and even the cat, Oreo. We'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Being in old town was great. Centrally located close to restaurants shopping etc. there are two restaurants located in the hotel accessible from inside and outside. The heat was pretty intense had to leave a window open a crack and the heat off. But very nice choice better than one of the chains.

Room Tip: 305 was smallish but overlooked college ave with all the lights which was just beautiful
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed in room 313 in December. The room was spacious and had everything we could want and/or need. We felt like we could have spent a month in the room as it even had a small kitchen. The hotel was very quiet, which we appreciated. I did not have any run-ins with the ghost, but maybe next time! We were able to walk to the local brewery and multiple restaurants from this location. Parking is free, but it's very tight and often hard to find a space (located behind the hotel). Once we found a spot, we didn't move the car. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely recommend this hotel and visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mayfield East Sussex
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Located near the middle of town and close to several bars and diners this Hotel looks as if it might have been around for a while, certainly the lift has. I was in room 310 and this was more of a suit with TV fridge, Micro wave and sofa in one room and the largest bed I have every seen in another, off of which was a large twin shower. Not sure if the decor was looking a little old or the owners were going for "shabby chic" either way it worked. The staff were friendly the bed comfy the recommended diner just down the block was excellent. Only small draw back was teh train running by at 3am which was a bit on the loud side.

Room Tip: Beware of trains
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business