“Old Fashioned and Small-time Friendly”

The Armstrong Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Fort Collins
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We loved the experience. The hotel dates back to the cowtown days, but has been very recently renovated and is super comfortable with modern comforts. We stay there every time we visit (once or twice a year.) It is small, but has an elegant basement lounge and friendly staff. Right next door is a very cool coffee shop and around the corner is the best breakfast restaurant I have ever visited. It's right in the middle of old town and walking distance from anywhere downtown. They are surrounded by the kind of diversity in unusual restaurants you could only find in a university town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Reno U

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a old school hotel completely refurbished and up to date. Stayed here on a beer tour trip and found it homey, quaint and a good value. I would definitely stay here again. Great town with Great Beers and Breweries. Win - Win!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MollyAW1234
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I came here to celebrate a friend's birthday. We have never heard of the property before staying here. This property was revamped about 10 years ago and I can say that I am quit impressed with the room that we were in. The room was clean and *very* quiet despite being in the heart of Ft. Collins city life district on a Friday Saturday night! The beds were very comfortable and the showers nice. Easy walking distance from the property to all of the restaurants and night life that you would ever want.

Also, Oreo the cat was a main attraction. While I normally do not like cats, Oreo was a neat greeter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NSpear
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Armstrong because it really was the only downtown hotel in Fort Collins, and the location is great. You are right in the thick of the bars, restaurants, and shops, and its an easy walk to everything. I requested a quiet room, and although 322 didn't have a great view, the only noise was an occasional train. The decor was awesome!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank BagMouse
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We three shared the two room modern king suite (#210) on cold March evening and enjoyed our stay immensely. The beds were big and inviting. The bathroom - with its double head shower - was very soothing. The room was modern, but with a definite retro-feel. Our rooms faced W Olive Street and the evening noise on a Friday night was enough for us to close the bedroom windows, but we left the bathroom window open. The location was perfect for a walking tour - a Colorado State campus visit, lunch at the Pickle Barrel, shopping, dinner at an unremarkable restaurant downtown, coffee at Mugs, and then a stroll in the snow to breakfast at Lucile's. Not a big fan of the giant cat in the front, but the kind staff assured us "Oreo" never visits the guest rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen R
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a small yet nice hotel. For me I love the fact that the staff has a cat (Oreo
) that is in the hotel. I can understand if people arent a cat person or have an idea about having animals in a hotel, if thats the case you may want to pass on this hotel. But it was cool to walk into the lobby and see the cat on the counter sleeping the day away. The elevator is a relic from the past, no memory prevents you from pushing the floor button until the door is closed and Oreo may sneak in and catch a ride with you.

My room was small but very clean. I had the feeling of stepping into the past during the days of travelling salesmen looking for a nice and quiet place to rest following a day on the road. Well that is part true, unfortunately Colorado laws require trains to sound their horns at intersections when driving through towns and I did get the announcement of the "3:10a to Yuma" a few nights. But that is no fault of the hotel.

The Staff is fantastic, friendly and will help you anyway possible.

The Armstrong is in a great location, its stands in the middle of Old Town Fort Collins and is within walking distance to anything you may require.

I would definitely stay there again and would recommend these accommodations to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Walking_Dead_1
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very noisy - I was on the 3rd floor but the people on the street below (Olive) were loud enough I felt like they were in my room. I guess it would have helped if I could have shut the bathroom window which was open when I arrived and stuck that way all weekend even though it was February. The room was nice, clean and well appointed, however, the building is very old, and you will notice that more than anything when you try to take the elevator. The lobby is very small and you don't have much anonymity when coming and going - for some that's probably nice. By far the best feature of the Armstrong is Ace Gillette's downstairs - a bar I'd never heard of but one of the nicest elegant hideaways in town with a very good selection of Scotch.

Room Tip: If you want sleep, avoid a room facing Olive or College Streets.