“Relax, Relax, Relax”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vathi
Pa
“Relax, Relax, Relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2008

I was just looking to see if there were any new comments on Elies and I am dismayed to see that my review never went through. I had to pop in and boost this rating and hopefully help someone.

I stayed at Elies in June. It was amazing. I was so impressed. The room was super clean, large, cozy. Had a nice casual style. Big bathroom with large (full size?) Korres toiletries. Big deck with amazing view, we had breakfast out here most days.

We spent everyday at the beach. We had just come from Santorini where we did a lot, so we enjoyed the change with relaxing days by the water. The water is nice and shallow and extremely calm. It was also very quiet when we were there. My husband took out a kayak but I don't know what else was available. One thing that was annoying was these little spiky things in the sand all around the chairs. They hurt so we had to wear our flip flops to the water and then back.

As for food, we had complimentary breakfast in our room most days. We did go to the restaurant a couple times but it was pretty much the same as room service. Food was simple but tasty. The worst part of the whole resort was the really rude guy that answers the phone for room service. I hated him. I mean, really despised. I used to make my husband call for breakfast because he was so horrible. He didn't like him either, but I refused to call anymore.

Dinner was usually at the restaurant on the beach next door to the hotel so I can't comment on Elies dinner. I forget the name of that place but it was cute and authentic. I loved the cheese on the horiatiki salad and asked the owner about it, since it wasn't feta. She said she makes it herself every day and she pointed out that my husbands meat was pork she raised herself. I recommend it if you stay at the hotel.

I try and stay at the best hotels I can possibly find. During this trip we stayed at the Grande Bretagne in Athens, and Mystique in Santorini, and Elies was definitely up there with these.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaneve

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2007

A lot to say about this place....

My wife and I made this the first stop on our honeymoon because we wanted a lux hotel to relax in for a few days before heading out to other islands. The hotel's setting is beautiful. Vathi Bay is a sleepy little bayside village, and resort fits in nicely. The pool is absolutely amazing - probably the best part of the place. Our room was very nice - not super lux, but we just had the basic ocean view suite. It was very clean and new although furniture looked like it might be from IKEA.

The view from our room was a little bit obscured by the restaurant. When we asked to move to a different room, the front desk told us they couldn't even though the resort was basically empty. We were there in the middle of the week (Mon. thru Fri.). The hotel started to fill up towards the weekend, but during the week there weren't many people around. It was nice because we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves, but also a little weird. Like being the only people eating in a restaurant. I don't think many international travelers have found this place yet, and it seemed its clientele was other Greeks who came in for long weekends.

The beach is nice, not super amazing. It's small but nice and the water is calm and great for swimming. The bay is very nice. Sailboats and yachts come in during the days to anchor and swim. There isn't much to do in Vathi so don't expect a wild time. There a few beach-side tavernas that were good, and a couple mini-marts and that's about it. We would walk to the tavernas to eat lunch rather than the resort which was pretty pricey. You can walk the whole bay in probably ten minutes. We ate dinner at the resort restaurant one night which was very good, but it wasn't very Grecian. The breakfast buffet was huge and very good at the resort. It felt like the menu was purposely more international. We ate the rest of the nights at the local tavernas in Vathi. The tavernas feel very authentic (because they are) and are literally right on the bay - it’s a pretty awesome setting. One night we caught a cab to Appollonia and had dinner there and went out for drinks afterwards. The cab ride cost about 14 euros. If you plan on exploring the rest of the island, I would recommend renting a car because the resort is pretty isolated.

The service at the hotel was spotty. The front desk was kind of snotty and didn't make any effort to make us feel special about the honeymoon. The restaurant staff was very nice. The people at the pool bar were also a little snotty - although one of the bartenders was really nice and gave us great advice on places to go on the island.

The hotel had sea kayaks which we used in the bay. We were the first people in two years to use them and they didn't seem like they knew what do when we asked to use them. The bay is small and you can paddle around the whole thing in a half hour.

Overall summary: We had a great time. If you are looking for somewhere quiet, luxurious, in a beautiful surrounding to just relax and enjoy your time - this is your place. Just don't expect super warm service and be aware that the hotel still feels like its working out its growing pains. If you dropped the staff from a Four Seasons at this place, it would be the total package.

• Liked — Amazing pool, relaxed sleepy bay-side village, awesome setting
  • Disliked — Service left a little to be desired
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lak711
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2006

We stayed at Elies for a wedding at the beginning of September and we all had a wonderful time. The location at the bay of Vathi is absolutely amazing with a lovely cove that is protected from the wind and offers a long sandy beach with easy access to the sea. The hotel blends in with the foot of the mountain and local arhitecture is respected. The gardens are beatifull and well maintained and rooms and villas are evenly spaced.
The 50 meter seawater pool with water and air jets is located close to the beach and the pool bar is only a few meters away.
The rooms are spacious, clean, and modern; the bathrooms are huge with lovely big soft towels and nice amenities. The service was friendly and polite and we were all made to feel at home. The food was excellent and breakfast a real treat with all kinds of eggs, bacon, sausages, smoked salmon, champagne, etc.
Having seen quite a few resort hotels in Greece, I would say that it is unique in style and location. The rates may be slightly high but there is definitely value for money and a great escape from daily life.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — bed comfort
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank chris88
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2006

We made confirmed reservations for three rooms for four nights only to be told less than two weeks before departure that the hotel would not now honor reservations for two of the rooms so that they could accomodate a wedding. At this late date we were unable to find three acceptable rooms in another hotel on Sifnos so we had to rebook on another island. This caused great stress as this also meant that we had to worry about changing our inter-island transportation at the last minute as well. BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WITH YOUR FINGERS CROSSED as this hotel may decide to bump you at the last minute if they get a better offer. Reservations are meaningless here. Unfortunately, Tripadvisor's lowest rating is one star. We really wish that we could give this resort zero stars as this would be most reflective of our experience here. We cannot even add a positive qualifier to this negative review (such as -"bathrooms were at least free of roaches") because we were not given a chance to even stay at the resort at all due to the highly unprofessional nature of their "reservation" process.

32 Thank MikeandBob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vathi
Delfini Hotel Sifnos
#2 of 7 in Apollonia
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
#1 of 3 in Artemonas

Been to Elies Resort Sifnos? Share your experiences!