“Caves are excellent and breathtaking, tourguides may take too long.”

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in historic Glenwood Springs, Colorado, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park offers a unique mountain-top adventure that's fun for the whole family. Ride the Giant Canyon Swing-featured on "Good Morning America" and the Travel Channel show, "Bert the Conqueror"-as well as the longest Alpine Coaster in Colorado, the Glenwood Canyon Flyer, the Soaring Eagle Zip Ride, the Cliffhanger Roller Coaster, the GiddyUp, the Mine Wheel Ferris-wheel-style-ride and the Wild West Express Coaster. You can race through the Fort Where-Am-I Maze, play laser tag, conquer the climbing wall and enjoy films in our 4D Motion Theater. Some rides are seasonal; a list of which attractions are open can be found on our website. Great for groups, family reunions and birthday parties. Your visit to the Glenwood Caverns promises a unique, mountain-top adventure and memories to last a lifetime. The wholesome fun of nature-based educational activities combined with attractions to please die-hard thrill seekers makes this the perfect place to spend a day with family and friends.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

It was my fault going to the park thinking we could be done seeing the cave in 3 hours, give yourself more time for that, otherwise you'll get frustrated listening to the tour guides (doing an excellent job) giving stories and fact that show how much they really love caving, but the amount of banter and stories takes far longer than it should especially when one just wants to see the caves and not be stuck behind a giant group of children asking so many questions a 45 minute tour turns into an hour and half and then your not able to see all of the caves.

So if your going for the caves give yourself at least 5 hour window in case you get stuck with an overenthusiastic guide and a group of overly eager kids. (yes I am the annoyed scrooge in this situation I know, just wanted to see the caves).

Tour guides were great with the kids though and really connected well with them and made the science and facts come to life. Though again, it took a to long for a childless scrooge like me ;)

GlenwoodCaverns, Public Relations Manager at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Roaming Raven,
Thanks for paying our caves a visit and for taking the time to share your review. As you can imagine, it's very difficult to please everyone when a cave tour group includes a wide range of demographics.

Our cave tours run continuously during the summer. If you come back for a visit, you might be able to join a tour group that's more suited to your interests just by watching to see who is in line with you. If it looks like you're in with the wrong crowd, so to speak, you can make your way to the other cave tour or grab a cold drink and try back in a few minutes.

Thanks again for your patronage. We're glad to hear that you found the caves breathtaking!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,732)
All reviews
in 72 reviews
"whole family"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed 10 November 2013

It is hard to rate this place. We came in November and bought an all day pass and were excited to get up the mountain in the gondola but almost nothing was open. There were only 2 attractions we were able to do: the Fairy Caves and the Alpine coaster. Both were great but when we bought the "all day pass", we were under the impression tat more rides would be open. The roller coaster and the alpine swing were closed, as was almost everything else up ther. It is scenic but not enough to do for the price.

I have to give a big shout out to our fairy cave tour guide, Mike. What a guide! So mich energy and made the whole tour so interesting! Really impressive,

Dear MMBBoulder,
Thank you for your visit to the park. We love hearing that you enjoyed the Alpine Coaster and your cave tour with Mike.

Tthe tram, caves, alpine coaster, 4D theater, laser tag and Lookout Grille are open during the winter months. All except the grille are included in the Winter Funday Pass, which is discounted from our summer prices. We try to make sure everyone knows what's open with the signage located next to the ticket window, so we apologize if that wasn't clear to you. If you visit again, you can check to see what's open on our website at Glenwoodcaverns.com or by giving us a call at 800-530-1635.

Thanks for taking the time to share your review; your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I visited Glenwood Caverns with my companion who lives in the Denver area. After staying at the Antlers Best Western, we walked to the Gondola that took us up the mountain. I enjoyed the view it was incredible and a very helpful employee told us about what animals - like elk frequented the site. Up top there is an amusement park and a rail car ride you can take- I decided it went too fast and I was just too chicken. Other people had looks of utter fear and others- mostly the younger riders were squealing with delight. There is a nice well run souvenir shop and a spot to eat with a great view. I posed with the bear while waiting for the tour to start.
We gathered at the spot where the walk to the caverns took place. The guide told us to stick together and began to talk right away. I am always busy taking photos and I usually tag behind. We arrived at the entrance and were told not to touch anything. I was disappointed about that and we were restricted to a very narrow portion of the caves. The caves are stunning and definitely a must see. The guide made some cheap jokes and references to pet names for some of the outcrops- one was "bacon" as it resembled a rasher of the pork product. Another series of shapes were called the 7 Dwarves- Several tours are happening at the same time and it never fails to amaze me how I always find myself with the less qualified guide. The tour was not very long and they did not leave much time for photos. Needless to say - at the end of the brief tour we tipped the guide- I believe in tipping. I would absolutely recommend this site- mostly for its natural beauty and a once in a life tome chance to go into a cavern. I would have preferred a longer time in the Cavern and a guide that spent less time cracking jokes. When in Colorado this winter I will return to GlenWood Cavern.

2  Thank Elizabeth P

Dear BuckyPhillips-Chef,
Thank you for visiting the park. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the views and the caverns.

Preservation of the cave is one of the most important things we do as stewards of this amazing natural resource. The oil from human skin leaves a film that damages the formations, which is why guests are not allowed to touch them and why we limit which parts of the cave are open to the public.

Cave bacon, the industry's commonly used term to describe a type of flowstone, is formed from mineral deposits as water runs down the walls of the cave. The layers of the cave bacon can take on different colors depending on the impurities in the water, resulting in the thin layers of stripped calcite resembling bacon in appearance.

Our cave tour guides have as many different styles as our guests. When you come back for your visit this winter, stop by the gift shop and ask about the different cave tour guides working that day. You can select a tour based upon which guide provides the type of information which interests you the most.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I took my daughter and her family to Glenwood Caverns recently and it was a perfect family event. My young grandkids loved the tour of the caverns, the tram ride to the caverns, and the many fun activities and amusement rides and games at the "old west" styled village. The staff are absolutely wonderful. They LOVE kids, and are so cheerful and fun to be around. We can't wait to go there again!

1  Thank Peter V
GlenwoodCaverns, Public Relations Manager at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear PietervonHolland,

We are so glad you and your family members enjoyed your time at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park! Our mission is to make people smile, and we are so happy we could provide a cheerful experience for you and your grandkids. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us; we love hearing about our guests' visits. We are looking forward to your next visit!