“Runs for advanced skiers/riders”

Sunlight Mountain Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Sunlight features 67 named trails covering over 470 acres. In addition to miles of cruising intermediate terrain, Sunlight's East Ridge has one of the steeper runs in the state. Aptly named, The Heathen falls beneath your feet at a breathtaking 52 degrees. Sunlight is home to one of the longest trails in ski country, Ute, a beginner slope that winds more than 2 miles from summit to base. Sunlight also hosts some of the best tree skiing in Colorado with many aspen groves untracked days after snowfall. All trails converge at the base lodge, so friends and family can always keep track of each other
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Boulder
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Runs for advanced skiers/riders”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Sunlight is best known as a family/value ski area, but there are some enjoyable double blacks. On the East Ridge, to skiers right, are several fun tree lines (Perry's Plunge, etc) which can hold powder longer than expected, and on the left are several steeper, open faces (e.g. Heathen - 52 degrees.) Just wish they were longer.
It is awkward to approach the East Ridge. You need to take two lifts, then a wide open green groomer. If you take the Segundo lift you can ski the Cassanova Glade, or better, cut directly across the Blue Catwalk and enter the Joslin Glades to the right of Pipe Dream. Either will get you to the Primo lift which will take you to the top of the mountain.

1 Thank mdmss

Colorado Springs, Colorado
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Short lines and beautiful views”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My first run was very challenging for a green, but after that it was a blast. My husband and sons enjoyed the more challenging runs, while I got to take my time on the easy green. Loved it!

1 Thank Diane N
St. Louis, MO
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A hit, again”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I wrote a review after I visited Sunlight 2 years ago and wanted to write a review again. Basically, everything I said before is still true. Great mountain overall. Things I loved:

- No crowds! Easy to get a parking spot and find a place to sit in the lodge. Longest wait to get on a chairlift was 90 seconds, and that only happened once. On some of the upper trails in the morning, I looked around and couldn't see another person in sight. Even when it got "crowded" (after noon when half-day people arrived) it wasn't ever really crowded.
- Great trails, combined with no crowds (amazing given that this was a holiday week). Even though it hadn't snowed in about 2 days I was able to find some fresh powder on the side of many of the trails. Fresh corduroy on many of the trails, even after 11am.
- Great deal. Lift ticket, rentals, and lunch for under $100 (would've been even less if I had remembered to check Liftopia.com before I went).
- Ski school. My 5-year-old took lessons -- first time on skis -- and loved it. Program and instructors were great. They had a 1 instructor to 2 student ratio for most of the day. Again, a great value -- $125 for full-day (8:45-3:00) including lift ticket, 2 2-hour lessons, equipment rentals, and lunch.
- Good variety of terrain. I stick to beginner and intermediate, but I like the fact that there is a lot of variety in the intermediate trails -- some are steep, some are groomed, some are rough and sort-of-moguls, some are narrow and glade-like. Granted, it's not as big as major resorts, but there is still a lot to choose from, especially if you're interested in the really hard stuff, as the expert (glades) looked great as I passed by them...

I talked with a number of people on chairlift rides. All of them were visiting, and all of them were hooked on Sunlight. Most had skied at other resorts -- bigger, more expensive ones -- but preferred Sunlight because it's less crowded, cheaper, and just overall less stressful.

Everyone who worked there was in a good mood and friendly. All of the guests seemed to be in a good mood, too. Maybe that's because it was the day after Christmas, but I think it was at least partly due to the fact that people were having a good time -- they weren't paying out the nose, weren't waiting in long lines, and weren't sharing the slopes with way too many people.

Loved it, would definitely go back.

1 Thank jefflash
Clearwater, Florida, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Friendly, comfortable and fun”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Great staff that was more than helpful and very nice. Took ski lessons and instructor went above and beyond to help with instruction. Trails were groomed nice. We stuck with green & blues, but saw several black diamonds closed if that is your level. Only complaint was restrooms - 3 were out of service at the time.
Enjoyed our day and saw lots of families with children. For the price, it was well worth it!

2 Thank Jessica W
Loveland, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My family decided to following the Glenwood Springs marketing advice to "stay, ski and swim" and I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. We usually ski at Copper and Winter Park and I didn't expect too much out of Sunlight Mountain since the mountain only has three old lifts; however, I found the terrain to be more diverse and challenging than expected. I especially enjoyed some of the glade skiing through the Aspen forests...very unique. We were lucky enough to have some great powder conditions (which always makes skiing more enjoyable).

Don't go to Sunlight expecting an environment that matches the mega resorts (the lodge and other buildings are pretty crusty); however, given the short lift lines, good price and fun runs I will definitely recommend Sunlight for a fun family adventure.

3 Thank copowells