“Very nice”

Residence Inn Glenwood Springs
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Great helpful friendly staff. Nice new property. Really nice for families or quasi extended stays.
Nice location for lots if area ski areas. Glenwood springs is a really family friendly town with lots of restaurants and activities.
Above average breakfast for like properties.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear DRMC33,

All of us appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. It was great to hear you and your family enjoyed all that Glenwood Springs has to offer. Travel Safe and hope to see you soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Pros: Location, fairly nice set up, allows pets, comfortable blankets, free breakfast, pool and hot tub.
Cons: Poor management! Furniture wear and tear, slow wifi, small bathtub, very low quality/broken sofa sleeper, very small breakfast nook, not enough staff to replenish breakfast items (they were constantly running out of things).

I had great expectations for our stay at the Residence Inn Glenwood Springs. I made our reservation in October for a Dec 28th - Jan 1st stay and received a confirmation email initially, as well as a few day prior. When we arrived I was told that the hotel was mistakenly overbooked and we would be receiving two rooms instead of one. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to our family time. We were told that we could choose to move to our two room suite the next night, or stay in the separate rooms at a slightly discounted rate. My main concern was not having to move after unpacking. The idea of having to unpack and repack for a family of four with two pets, food, luggage, snow gear, and Christmas gifts was overwhelming. I was assured that due to their mix up we could stay in our rooms for the remainder of our stay.

The morning of Dec 31st at 10:50 am I received a phone call from the general manager, Jason Keenan. He informed me that we would have to move to a two bedroom suite for our last night because they needed the two rooms. I was shocked and reminded the manager that we were assured at check in that there would be no problem with us keeping our current rooms. After a short discussion I clearly stated that I did not want to move and asked Jason if he was telling us we had to move and had no choice, to which he replied, "Yes" and informed me that hotel staff would be up to assist us at noon.

After three nights stay, you can imagine that we were pretty well spread out and unpacked. Everyone was still in their pajamas relaxing. Suddenly we had one hour to get ready and repack. It was chaos. My boys needed to leave at noon for a booked snowmobile tour. At 12:10 pm ONE hotel employee, the janitor, arrived with one luggage cart to move four people and two pets out of two rooms. Needless to say, my boys got off late and tensions were running high. The last day of our vacation (New Year’s Eve), instead of relaxing and enjoying what was to be our Christmas, I was left to unpack and reorganize our new room while my 14 year old daughter cried in the bedroom because of family members snapping at each other in frustration.

Although the manager, Jason Keenan, apologized when I talked to him face to face afterwards, the remedy he offered did nothing to repair the last day of our vacation being thrown into complete disarray. I would much rather have paid the price I initially planned for to experience the pleasant stay and good service I had expected. The situation certainly made me feel that our party was less important to management than the rest of the guests. The bottom line is, no matter how atheistically nice a place is (and this hotel is nice, but not perfect), poor service will ruin your stay every time - and that is why I am giving it only one star.

Room Tip: Don't plan on using the sofa bed. They are broken and tip backwards, as other reviewers have com...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mamacarla3
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear MamaCarla3,

We are so sorry to hear that your experience was not up to our usual standard. The entire team apologizes for the inconveniences you experienced during your trip to Glenwood Springs. As I mentioned during your stay please contact me in the future for any lodging needs and we will ensure to accommodate you and your family on their next trip to Glenwood Springs.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Awesome Residence Inn - Great Staff (Dave) and awesome location 1 hour by RFTA bus to ASPEN/Snowmass and 20 minutes to Sunlight Ski Mountain - Glenwood Springs Hot Springs - Largest in world - and of course eating at the 19th Street Diner -

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear peggysadventures,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. The entire team was glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the Residence Inn by Marriott. All of us look forward to your return trip to Glenwood Springs!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here a couple nights last year for the 2013 Winter X Games. Its only about an hour from Aspen and well worth the price compared to any Aspen hotels. Rooms are like new and very clean. Staff is great and very helpful. Will probably be staying here again this coming year

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear okieboy17,

All of us are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit to Glenwood Springs. We all look forward to your return visit for X-Games 2014. Travel Safe and see you soon!

Sincerely

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Our family has been blessed to have traveled the world. We've stayed at many hotels. So when I say that the staff at this hotel is one of the best we've ever encountered, we mean it. The general manager Jason Keenan, customer service reps Barbara Jean, David and all the other front desk staff were amazing. Their customer service skills surpass anything we've ever seen. Marriott and Residence Inn should keep a close eye on these employees for future promotions.

We stayed at the hotel for 12 days (12/23 through 1/3) in a two bedroom unit. We made it our hub as we traveled to Vail (1hour away) and Aspen (45 mins away). The hotel's location is great. I guess it must be pretty new so everything is in great condition. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom as good as well. The hotel offers breakfast buffet and it is very good. Again we were there for many days and they offer a good variety not to get bored.

Our experience was greatly enhanced by the staff of the hotel. We couldn't thank them enough for making our holiday incredible!!!

Room Tip: Corner 2 bedroom unit was very spacious
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VeroGirl2012

Dear VeroGirl2012,

Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel and staff. It means so much to be recognized by our valued guests. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return visit!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I've stayed at this place on January 1st to the 3rd. I stay at a lot of Marriott properties all over the country and I'm a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member. The time before this I used Marriott points to stay at this hotel and the hotel upgraded me when I made the reservation. This time no such luck and the only room type they would let me use points for was a studio room. I have two little kids and studio is not my any means optimal. Having a 1 or 2 bedroom is great. My previous stay I was upgrade to a 2 bedroom. This time I was told as a Platinum member I would be upgrade at check in if they had availability.

After a long snowy day getting to Glenwood Springs my family and I arrived. When checking in I ask for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom. I was told that they don't upgrade people. Since I was told while making the reservation that I would be upgraded if a room was available I said that was unacceptable and again asked if they had a 2 bedroom available. I was again told that they can't do that. I asked them to check with the manager. The desk clerk walked off to speak with the manager and when she got back I was told they don't have any 2 bedroom rooms available. I ask her why then would she have even checked if none were available. She did not answer and proceed to check us in. I then asked for a 1 bedroom since when making the reservation only a studio was available with Marriott points. She said she would see and typed away on her keyboard. She then told me that she could not upgrade me to a 1 bedroom. I was livid.
I again said that was unacceptable because she had already indicated they did have 1 bedrooms rooms. I again asked to speak to a manager. She walks off and sends over a supervisor, not the manger. As calmly as I could, I explained to the supervisor that I felt like I was being lied too, and why I felt that way.

The supervisor for her credit was very nice and upgraded us to a 1 bedroom without issue.
As I mentioned I stay at Marriott all over and never have even had to ask to be upgraded, here I was lied too about upgrades being available. I have no plans to stay at this property again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear COsales roadwarrior,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I want to personally apologize for the upgrade confusion. As a Platinum Member you are given preference for upgrades day of arrival. As the New Year's Day was very busy and the hotel was sold out, those upgrades were greatly limited. I was glad to hear that our supervisor Stephanie was able to get your family booked in our One Bedroom Suite. Again sorry for the confusion and hope to accommodate you and the family in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel and 2 bedroom suites are designed nicely. The beds comfy with lots of pillows. 2 separate baths and a kitchen. The bad: the pull-out beds are actually inverted. We saw two of them and they were both the same! Your feet are above your head! Management is aware of this and yet they don't inform you, nor do they plan to do anything about it. We paid the extra for this room as we were traveling with our children and the 9 year old actually had to sleep backwards on the bed to make it right, which made him very uncomfortable. The management had a variety of explanations and helpful tips, like propping up pillows to make it level. We paid $300 for this configuration of a room for a reason. Very disappointing the bed was unusable. Additionally, they did not staff up for the holiday season, nor did they adjust their breakfast needs for the holiday time. The breakfast was not replenished when things were gone, nor was there adequate seating. My family propped themselves up on a wall and ate on their laps until a table came open. The pool is indoors and was nice. About the same size as our backyard pool and jacuzzi. Watch the tile, it is VERY slippery and VERY dangerous when wet. I am surprised at having to review a Marriott with such low scores. With a few mindful changes, this could be a really nice vacation stay!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sojournarita
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Sojournarita,

First off let me apologize for your poor experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott. As you can see by our overall ranking and past reviews this type of experience is very rare. I have met with our Engineering team to devise a plan to elimanate any non-standard pullout sofa beds. I hope the rebates and puchase of Marriott Reward points allows us another opportunity to accommodate you and your family.