“You Had Me at Duck Nuggets”
Review of The Pullman

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Reviewed 23 July 2014

After our original lunch plans ended in disappointment, we were hungry and in need of a great lunch to squash our residual grumpiness. We spotted some restaurants from the highway and made our way to this area full of picturesque old buildings near the river. As I perused the menu posted outside, I saw "duck nuggets" as an appetizer and said "I have to eat here!"

It was near 1:00pm on a Friday, so it was not crowded. Our request to eat outside was granted. We were quite pleased with our decision; we enjoyed the fresh air, a train going by, and people-watching. The hostess said that the outdoor seating had just opened, and they were still getting used to it. I hope it works out for them.

We immediately ordered the duck nuggets (4 for $8) and deviled eggs ($1.50 each) to go with our beer. Any residual disappointment we still had disappeared with the first sips of an unfiltered wheat and nibbles of the generously portioned nuggets. The outside crispy coating enclosed a luscious duck mixture. The rhubarb ketchup had an unexpected kick of horseradish. Our pickled deviled eggs with bacon were extraordinary. I used my finger to collect any maple gastrique remaining on the plate. I love bacon or sausage with just a bit of syrup on it, and this was even better.

By the time we finished these items, our Rabbit Salad ($10) and Salmon Crostinis (4 for $8) had arrived. I liked the playfulness of the salad-- people call salads "rabbit food" and this one had roasted baby carrots and fresh peas to accompany the shredded rabbit meat. It was very lightly dressed and had plenty of shredded cheese. The crostinis were also delicious, like an upscale tuna melt in texture.

All of the menu items that we ate were of high quality ingredients and presented with care. We enjoyed the variety of proteins that were offered.

Our server Amanda did an excellent job of being unobtrusive when appropriate, but willing to engage in conversation when we asked her questions. I know it can be cumbersome for the staff when diners don't order everything at once, but this was not a problem on our visit. It could be that it was the time of day we were there; I would not expect to order in shifts and linger as long as we did if it was a busy dinner service.

We left The Pullman with happy tummies and smiles on our faces.

1  Thank SapphireVoyager
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We tried the Pullman on March 19th. Three adults and two childern 6 years old. We walked in and were told that it would be a 45 minute wait. We left our name and walked around the block and arrived approximately 40 minutes later. We were then told that it would another 45- 60 mins. Seeing that we had two childern with us did also not seem to help the deal. As we very politely asked if there was some misunderstanding we were then very blatantly made aware that there was no way we were even getting a table much less something to eat. I responded by commenting that nothing can be that good and we all left after waiting over an hour in total.

To be honest I have never been so poorly treated by service staff. No, compassion

Mark F, Manager at The Pullman, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Bekken1972,

I am sorry there was a confusion on trying to get your family in to dine. Had you eaten with us I am sure you would have a different opinion of our staff.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The chef has a great selection of appetizers, salads, mains and deserts like you see at more "upscale" places - all at affordable prices. We would definitely return here - may have become our new favorite restaurant in Glenwood Springs.

1  Thank David G
Mark F, Manager at The Pullman, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

David G,

Thank you for joining us on your trip from Grand Junction. We try to create a dinning experience for all to enjoy. We will see you on your next trip up.

Till then, dine well,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Food was ok, service was ok; restaurant itself has an interesting dining area, but very noisy and extended wait times for seats - go early.

Mark F, Manager at The Pullman, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Whilbert01,

With the concrete floors and high ceilings, our restaurant can get an energetic roar going. Sorry you had a lack luster visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very creative menu, great wait staff, fun atmosphere and nice evening. Little pricey and we had a couple of misses on the food. The buckwheat salad was a disappointing and it seemed like they were trying a little too hard to be leading edge. But would go back again it is very nice.

1  Thank lostcolorado