“Perfect place to check off a Bucket List experience!!”

Blue Sky Adventures
Ranked #2 of 15 Tours in Glenwood Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1975, Blue Sky has been offering professionally guided whitewater river trips on the Colorado and Roaring Fork Rivers. Conveniently located in downtown Glenwood Springs in the Historic Hotel Colorado and across the street from the famous Hot Springs Pool and Lodge, Blue Sky Adventures is dedicated to providing a whitewater experience that exceeds any of our guests' expectations. Dedicated to safety, service, professionalism and fun since 1975.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is the first of several reviews from our 2 week Glenwood Springs vacation. And Blue Sky Adventures certainly should be the first review for me to start with!

Whitewater rafting the Colorado has literally been a Bucket List Wish item for me for decades. On this year's trip to Glenwood Springs, I was determined to accomplish this. Thanks to all the TripAdvisor reviews, we went with top rated rafting company in Glenwood Springs. And, there is a good reason that Blue Sky Adventures is rated so high. The people, the company, and the equipment were the best! There is not one negative thing I could possibly find to say about our experience there.

We did the June 12th, 11:15 trip. First and foremost, our guide Leelee was flat out awesome!!! She was one of the reasons the trip was so cool. In the areas between rapids and the main action, she would relate history of the canyon, river and area. She would point out intersting items about the terrain concerning caves, geothermal vents, and the flora and fauna. She even entertained us with raft humor. :) On top of being a great tour guide, she was one heck of a boatswoman. That type of job also has it's benefits phyically as she was tough as nails. As a person that helped carry the rafts down to the river and then back up, I can tell you that these things are pretty heavy. But, she could outlift all the guys that were helping here. I highly encourage you to ask for Leelee if you get the chance. She really was a super guide and made the 2-1/2 that much more fun!

Another little thing that Blue Sky did that shows you how good their customer service is concerned a special request I had. I wanted to GoPro video the ride and asked if I could rent one of their helmets with a hard mounted GoPro mount. They wouldn't rent me one. They just let me use it for free. It was just one more little thing they did to make the trip so cool. (so, in my pics, I'm the one wearing the white helmet with the GoPro)

Due to the good snow runoff, the river was flowing at 16,000 cfs through the standing wave park in Glenwood Springs that day. This flow was too high to be able to do the Shoshone rapids. But, because the flow was so high we rafted 22 miles all the way down to Silt. I wouldn't have believed we could have gone that far is such a short time. But, the river was moving big time the whole way.

On our boat we had two of us from Texas, a couple from England, and another solo guy from England that wasn't related to the other couple. By the time the trip was over, we were all best of friends. Leelee was able to get us to bond together real well in just 2-1/2 hours.

One recommendation I would make would be if you are taking the half day trip like us, take either the 11:15 or 12:15 trip. Due to the temp of the river and the high sides of the canyon, you want to be on the river in the middle of the day so you don't get cold in the shadows of the canyon walls.

All in all, we picked the perfect place to check off one of my Bucket List items. When I raft again in a few years, it will certainly be with Blue Star Adventures. If there was a place for a 6 star rating, Blue Sky Adventures would get it. Thanks Blue Sky and thanks Leelee!

There are newer reviews for Blue Sky Adventures

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had so much fun for the first time, LeLe Was Awesome everyone there treated us like a million bucks!!! We will be back again

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our family of 6 had the best time with Blue Sky Adventures this weekend! They had everything we wanted to do in Glenwood Springs for summer fun- biking and rafting. On Saturday we biked through Glenwood Canyon with Grandma and Grandpa meeting us at Grizzly exit- the kids raced far ahead of us burning off all their ya-ya's allowing Hubby and I to laugh and leisure our way. Wow was the view amazing! And, to see where we would be rafting the next day! I was so nervous to take Grandma and Grandpa rafting after seeing the whitewater but the staff at Blue Sky was very assuring and supportive of every question I had. Boy, they had every piece of river layering strapped onto all of us before we even reached the river. My kids pointed out how they wished the bus was their school bus back home, and I did to- it was so clean! And then the excitement of rafting- oh my gosh! I forgot about my nervousness after seeing my kids get splashed and Grandparents laughing. Our guide Jake took the best care of us and exceeded all our expectations with his humor, knowledge, and attentiveness. So, for one stop shopping, Blue Sky made our weekend stellar.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Our family of four, including a 9yo and 10yo, went on a full day trip with our guide, TIM. Check in was easy and quick, we were fitted for gear and ready to go quickly. (Recommend getting gear for your top half in the morning, it can be chilly.) Took a drive to Roaring Fork, a few pictures, and we were off. Having grown up in the area, TIM was very knowledgable in regards to the area surrounding the river, as well as the local wildlife and the river he used to swim and fish in as a boy. Headed back to Hotel Colorado for lunch. In the afternoon, we headed up the Colorado River, and again was treated to a plethora of interesting information regarding our beautiful trip down the canyon. TIM was great with the kids, service from the company was great, I highly recommend them. Look forward to coming back in the future!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We did the half day raft trip down the Colorado river and had the best time ever! Our guide Lele was charming, funny and very knowledgeable of the river and the area. All the guides were a ton of fun to hang with! The view on the river is so beautiful and unique it really can't be beat! Highly recommend Blue Sky Adventures and their awesome staff. Did I mention the guy who sold us our tickets? He was so helpful to answer all our questions and address all our concerns. From the minute we walked in their doors we had first class service and we will be back again and again!